What's new

The 2023: 1-Blade, 1-Week, Daily Shaving Adventure

Week 18 Ends: Blade is a Gillette PII cartridge from India.

This is the 2nd week shaving with this cartridge. Doing this in fairness, since they are more costly than my other DE blades.

Have to say, so far, I am very happy to be shaving with a "Trac II" type razor again!

The 2nd week was a breeze. It is so stupid easy to shave with this razor. Price wise, it is extremely reasonable for a cartridge system.

I have friends that shave with those disposable razors. They use them a few weeks and then give them a toss.

No real experience with the modern ones, but the PII beats others that I have used.

The blade is still surprising good, shave is close and clean. I feel compelled to give it another go in a few more weeks.

So far, it is 50-cents for two weeks worth of shaving. Good enough to make its way into the DE playing field.

Compare to 10 & 15 cent weekly DE blades, they would run 20-30 cents for the 2-weeks (on an average).

Will manage to give the Mach 3 a go later. What I really like about the PII is the very compact head size. It really allows precise control and the ability to navigate tight areas.

After DE shaving, the PII seems like a play razor. When shaving, I'm hardly aware there is even a blade in the head/cartridge.

Week 19 Ends: Blade is a BIC Chrome Platinum.

Nothing much to report, except another full week of flawless shaves.

I have to say, with the general consensus being, that the BIC Chrome Platinum being almost as sharp as Feather's out of the box and equally as sharp after a shave or two, they offer up a completely smooth shaving experience.

It's easy to think, that a blade this sharp couldn't really be all that smooth, but it is!

One day, I reached under the sink and pulled out my Lord L6.

proxy.php

Lord Premium Safety Razor Model LP1822L aka L6

Which Amazon currently has on sale for $5.41. This is more than $1 off their usual price for an already super inexpensive razor.

Got an exceptionally smooth and close shave with the L6 and the BIC CP. So smooth, it was almost like shaving without a blade.

Week 20 Begins: Blade is a Treet Trig Silver Edge.

This is a Stainless Blade. This will be my first time using this blade. It does come with the instructions stating "Do not wipe blade. Leave blade in razor."

I remove and rinse my blades and wipe the blades under the water with my fingers.

lasta

Blade Biter
Week 20 Begins: Blade is a Treet Trig Silver Edge.

This is a Stainless Blade. This will be my first time using this blade. It does come with the instructions stating "Do not wipe blade. Leave blade in razor."

I remove and rinse my blades and wipe the blades under the water with my fingers.
Naughty naughty!

They told you not to wipe the blade, why you have to go and do that?

Most of the time I take the blade out as well. But I only rinse and give it a flick.

Most of the time I take the blade out as well. But I only rinse and give it a flick.

Really about the same thing...

I can guess three reasons why manufacturers issue these warnings.

The first would be for liability reasons. They don't want you cutting yourself.

The second would be to prevent you from wiping off any coatings they may have applied to the blade.

I guess I can see that possibly happening if someone were to vigorously wipe the blade with a cloth.

I use canned gel and while it is water soluble, it does form a nice slick layer on your skin and it does impart this to the blade.

When rinsing, it needs some help getting the goo off. With my thumb and finger, I can lightly wipe the blade while rinsing. This way, I can feel when the blade is clean.

If this destroys their precious coating, oh well. If this ruins their blades this easily, there are other blades.

I can also see individuals who might not understand that placing uneven pressure along the edge of the blade, might not realize that this could be causing small cracks to develop along the edge and cause the blade to deteriorate.

I am probably more careful as to how I handle the blade, so as to not cause damage to it, then I am not to cause damage to me.

Afterward, I lie the blade on a piece of paper towel and fold it over to blot the blade. Then I place the blade on top of a small plastic box which holds the blades I am using this year.

Any tiny amounts of remaining moisture are removed by further air drying.

I feel keeping the blade free from any deposits and the same with the razor, will increase the longevity for both.

Any time I use a stainless steel knife, I rinse and wipe it clean and dry. All of my kitchen knives and folding knives are in perfect condition.

I never wash my car. Go figure...

I finished my first week. The Derby Premium performed very well. I did have a couple of less stellar shaves during the middle of the week. I had one especially rough shave where I considered to toss the blade but I prevailed.

I think that doing 7 shaves really highlights that to fully evaluate a blade we need to use it for a while and not be so quick to toss it. I world even say that one blade is not enough to evaluate it fully. You may need to run a few weeks with a few blades to make a determination.

I ended up with all BBS, DFS shaves and will certainly use this blade again.

First, thanking you for your contribution to this thread!

I think that doing 7 shaves really highlights that to fully evaluate a blade we need to use it for a while and not be so quick to toss it.

Good point here. A blade is going to preform differently throughout its lifespan. I do think that a minimum of at least several days are needed to properly evaluate a blades performance.

I would even say that one blade is not enough to evaluate it fully. You may need to run a few weeks with a few blades to make a determination.

Which is why I invite those who use the same specific blade to post to this thread on occasion. It goes to show consistency of the blade.

I have at least two of every blade that I will be using this year. For my couple of dozen blades in my regular rotation, I have at least a hundred or more.

If I have any blade that fails to deliver a complete week of daily shaves. I will repeat using a new blade a few weeks later.

This is the minimum that I feel is required for objectivity. Any individual blade can fail. It's bound to happen here and there.

In most cases, I can repeat it a third time, if necessary.

By repeating multiple weeks with the same blade type, it demonstrates the quality control of the blade.

If a modern blade can withstand a full week's worth of decent shaves, then I feel it has preformed its intended purpose.

First, thanking you for your contribution to this thread!

Good point here. A blade is going to preform differently throughout its lifespan. I do think that a minimum of at least several days are needed to properly evaluate a blades performance.

Which is why I invite those who use the same specific blade to post to this thread on occasion. It goes to show consistency of the blade.

I have at least two of every blade that I will be using this year. For my couple of dozen blades in my regular rotation, I have at least a hundred or more.

If I have any blade that fails to deliver a complete week of daily shaves. I will repeat using a new blade a few weeks later.

This is the minimum that I feel is required for objectivity. Any individual blade can fail. It's bound to happen here and there.

In most cases, I can repeat it a third time, if necessary.

By repeating multiple weeks with the same blade type, it demonstrates the quality control of the blade.

If a modern blade can withstand a full week's worth of decent shaves, then I feel it has preformed its intended purpose.
I could not agree more.

Week 20 Ends: Blade is a Treet Trig Silver Edge.

Blade preformed well. No issues, completely smooth and close shaves for the entire seven day week.

Completely uneventful, blade still appears to be serviceable for another shave or two?

Week 21 Begins: Blade is a Treet, A Treet FOR YOUR FACE.

Not exactly sure what exact blade this is other than these markings on the blade?

The wrapper indicates simply that it is "NEW STEEL". Doesn't indicate stainless or platinum. It does give a cautionary warning to not wipe the blade because the blade has a "Specially Treated Edge" and wiping will damage it.

Week 21 Ends: Blade is a Treet, A Treet FOR YOUR FACE.

Had more of an old school feel to the blade. Nothing fancy, just a straightforward metal feeling blade.

It was sharp and shaved all the way through today. Last two days shaves were with the R41 head.

Blade is still good to go with another shave or two.

This is an interesting blade. I wondered what a Classic is?

I decided to do my first shave using the EJ DE89. As I was screwing the head together, I was noticing resistance. After I had finished, I checked the reveal and the blade had more edge on one side than the other.

This is something that continues to puzzle me? The $6 Lord L6 has a small post in each corner to keep the blade where it should be. The Feather ASD2 does the same.

I guess I am not quite understanding why all my razors do not have these little alignment posts. None of the '89 heads have them. It would seem to be a very obvious part of the design for just about any razor?

Anyway, I loosened the handle, reset the alignment and tightened the head back down.

As I was doing this, I noted some resistance as the blade was bending.

I am wondering if the Classic is more of a thicker, old school type blade?

The shave was completely smooth. Still, some of that might be attributed to using a R41 head on my previous shave. Meaning that the previous shave was so close that today's shave did not have much to mow through.

Sometimes the first shave with a new blade can be a little testy. But it was like this blade was pre-broken in.

Looking forward with curiosity how the Classic shaves this week.

This is my initial list of 26-DE blades for the first half of the year.

Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Superior Stainless
BIC Chrome Platinum
Derby Extra
Derby Premium
Dorco ST300
Dorco ST301
Dorco Prime Platinum
Feather New Hi-Stainless
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
King C. Gillette
Parker Premium Platinum
Personna Lab Blue
Shark Platinum
Silver Star
Super Max Diamond Edge
Super Max Super Stainless
Voskhod
Wilkinson Sword Germany
Wilkinson Sword India
Wizamet Super Iridium

However... I was gifted these other 12-DE blades along the way, which makes 38-DE blades that I am committing to the One Blade One Week Challenge.

Lol Titanium
New Lord Platinum
Sharp Hi Chromium
Treet 7 days Platinum
Treet Carbon Steel "Black Beauty"
Treet Classic
Treet Dura Sharp
Treet King
Treet New Steel
Treet Platinum
Treat Silver Carbon Steel
Treet Trig

I thought I would merge them together into one master alphabetical listing.

Here it is:

Astra Superior Platinum
Astra Superior Stainless
BIC Chrome Platinum
Derby Extra
Derby Premium
Dorco ST300
Dorco ST301
Dorco Prime Platinum
Feather New Hi-Stainless
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
King C. Gillette
Lol Titanium
New Lord Platinum
Parker Premium Platinum
Personna Lab Blue
Shark Platinum
Sharp Hi Chromium
Silver Star
Super Max Diamond Edge
Super Max Super Stainless
Treet 7 days Platinum
Treet Carbon Steel "Black Beauty"
Treet Classic
Treet Dura Sharp
Treet King
Treet New Steel
Treet Platinum
Treat Silver Carbon Steel
Treet Trig
Voskhod
Wilkinson Sword Germany
Wilkinson Sword India
Wizamet Super Iridium

Since the addition of the 12-blades, each blade has been randomly selected on a weekly basis.

Week 22 Ends: Blade is a Treet Classic.

Have to say, I enjoyed shaving with this blade. It felt very old school. Didn't seem to have a lot of flex.

It shaved perfectly. I used the DE89, the Rocca R94 and the R41 head. All went perfectly.

Blade was still plenty sharp for the final shave earlier today.

Finished up 7 shaves with the ASCO SS (orange) by Lord.

It has been a great week of shaving last week. Very smooth and easy shaving to say the least. This is a very enjoyable blade and one that I could use for the rest of my life. I did try it with a couple of different razors. For the first 4 days I used the RR GC .68-P, for the 5th I used RR GC .84-P and for shaves 6-7 I used the RR SLOC. It performed very well in all the razors and most days were BBS and I had a couple of DFS days as well. I used VDH as my soap all days except for the last one when I experimented with using a bath soap. I still got a BBS from the bath soap. This blade is worth while a try and at least for me it works very well.

I have a question. I usually shave everyday, but sometimes during the week it does not work out and I have to push my shave out to 1.5 day. If I still get in 7 shaves, is it still ok to post here, even if it takes me 8 days?

Absolutely. But the objective is to determine if someone can get a week's worth of shaves out of one DE blade. As opposed to seven exact shaves.

Sometimes I skip a day. That will give the blade a more challenging shave the following day.

Sometimes a daily shaver might skip two days during the week. I believe that it all equals out in the end.

With modern blades not providing the length of overall service of blades we had in the past. I wondered what would be the outcome if we fixed daily shaves to one physical week?

While some retain their blade for longer periods, my impressions are the average shavers use a blade for 4-6 shaves.

Generally, I like to shave daily. I would prefer not to have to count and keep track of the number of shaves. I did this previously.

Since a "week" is a convenient period and may be longer than many daily shavers retain a blade, I decided to see what would happen if I decided to put this to the test.

As we near the halfway mark for the year, I am pleased to discover that I can keep a blade for a full week and still retain quality shaves with my regular blades.

So, in answer to your question, yes!

But, once you have hit the end of the 7-day week, you are finished, having met this threads objective.

Give us your opinion as a summary of your week's experience. I will also add a comment on whether the blade is finished at this point or it is still sharp enough that I might be able to eek out a shave or so more out of the blade, even though I choose to move on to a new blade.

Certainly, retain and use your blade for as long as you see fit. Beyond the week, that will be the subject for other threads.

If a blade fails to make the week that's OK too. Please post how it went and try again as often as you wish. Use the same blade as often as you wish. They helps establish product consistency. No blades are perfect.

Thanking you for your participation!

As an added note, I previously have had very little experience with Treet and Lord blades. I do have quantities of the Shark Platinum and the Silver Star by Lord. Earlier in the year, I was gifted a bunch of Treets, which I have now included.

I have yet to try a ASCO SS Orange by Lord, though others, like yourself, have spoken highly of it.

There are a lot of good blades on the market. Unfortunately, some of them appear limited in their number of shaves. Which, in my opinion, places limitations on how useful I would find them.

If I can get a good week out if a modern blade, that is good for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom