What's new

Thank You PIF!

I'm in...I have fond memories of my first cell phone, the type in a bag that still had a cord to the headset. All it would do is make calls and that was awesome.

You young-uns and your fancy, new-fangled Palm pilots and smart phones. You have no idea what my generation had to contend with:

View attachment 494989 You had to press 4 buttons if you wanted to tex the letter "s." We had to manually punch in our own emojis!
The best game we had was snake! No internet in my pocket means I couldn't access B&B from a computer I sit on. Only a few of us remaining old-timers remember life the way it was, and it was hard.
Also, I'm in.

That right there sir, is my wife's favorite phone of all time (so she claims) but I imagine she would eat her words if she were to use it now.

I'm in. Tech: the boombox. I remember carrying around an over sized radio blasting out my music in the early to mid '70s. I think the convenience of the Sony Walkman in the early '80s caused the ultimate death of the boombox. The small, lightweight personal music player was a lot easier to tote around than some 20 lb. behemoth!

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I'm in $untitled.png

I'm in. Tech: the boombox. I remember carrying around an over sized radio blasting out my music in the early to mid '70s. I think the convenience of the Sony Walkman in the early '80s caused the ultimate death of the boombox. The small, lightweight personal music player was a lot easier to tote around than some 20 lb. behemoth!

Yeah, and you had to use about 20 D batteries that lasted all of about 8 hours. That battery expense could add up quick.

Yeah, and you had to use about 20 D batteries that lasted all of about 8 hours. That battery expense could add up quick.

LOL, very true. We used to take our boomboxes to school. One cold morning on the way to the bus stop in north Idaho my brother was carrying his and the handle broke on both sides at the same time and it fell to the ground. Crazy!

I'm in. I'm still new to the whole safety razor world, but I am finding it's growing into an obsession, quite rapidly! I've already acquired more shave creams than I can get through in a year, and I only want more!
My piece of ancient tech is the Minolta Maxxum 35mm camera - the first autofocus camera, and the first with motorised film advance. The guy who sold it to me for $20 thought it was broken. He went through 3 rolls of film & didn't get a single image after developing the film, so he sold it to me. I figured it was worth $20, even if I had to get it repaired, I'd come out ahead, right? Anyway, when i got it in my hands & opened it up, there was a roll of film still in there - he just didn't wind it onto the sprockets, so it could NEVER advance after each shot! Needless to say, I was the winner in that transaction, since I actually knew how to load film into a 35mm camera!

View attachment 495023

I'm in

In school, I used the typewriter that had the small (4 or 5 line screen) word processor built in. After you typed your paper, "printing" it would mean feeding it paper one sheet at a time.

Not in.. awesome PIF though!

But I am shocked no one has mentioned the now extinct Laser Disc Player! I have a buddy who's dad invested thousands into this technology amassing a large collection of Laser Discs.. I still giggle at the guy's enthuiasm and gusto about laser discs being "the future"

$player2.jpg

Top Bottom