What's new

Thank you all for the Timeless SB .68.

I don't think there's much point writing a review for everyone; the Timeless shaving system has received ample review and recommendation here. Which goes to my point, I'd like to thank *you* all, and the good folks at Timeless Razor of course, for all the information I found here pointing me in this direction.

I will, however, add a short history of me experience with DE shaving since the beginning of this year, which will lead to why I invested in the Timeless.

As a teen I had awful acne and avoided shaving where ever possible. As a professional adult There was little choice, but I'd shave every couple of days at the most and tried every electric device possible in between. Eventually though, in my 30's the whiskers became too coarse and prolific to avoid shaving daily which resulted in a lot of pain and scaring. Now, at 40, I've been exploring the DE experience to find a better alternative.

So, I experimented with lower cost options and lots of blades, later built my skills with a Feather ASD2 (widely purported to be the highest quality very mild razor about), and generally evolved my routine and shaving kit around the ASD2 and Polsilver blades. Then I'd got wind of the Rockwell 6S. Suffice to say this has replaced the Feather as the daily driver, using the #3 plate and a Polsilver blade.

This really put me at a crossroads. The Feather is a fabulous device in every way, except one... I just can't get a smooth, irritation free shave with it, no matter the blade. The Rockwell, on the other hand, produces a much better result with no greater irritation using a small variety of blades. The major let down with the Rockwell was that it wasn't the most precisely crafted bit of kit on the earth. At least, not compared to the Feather. I would occasionally get a blade that didn't centre properly, or was a little chattery, then I'd get bitten. So the hunt was on for something that could do both; be a tireless daily driver, and offer the quality of fit and finish that the Feather had suddenly made me accustomed to.

Enter Timeless Razor. A modern design with a progressive leading edge on the safety bar, heavier cap for greater post-edge relief, high blade flex on the base for a more acute shaving angle and lots of detailed reviews here specifying blades that work well. Needless to say, given the wait for some devices at this level, I didn't take a great deal of convincing. A 10 day wait for the Timeless SB .68 to arrive ensued.

This morning it received a wash and a Feather blade. What followed was the usual tentative first shave which is the result of years of facial abuse. By contrast to expectation the outcome was smooth and satisfying. More surprisingly, what didn't follow was a stingy working over with the Alum bar. Once the post shave balm went on I had the 'aleluia' moment. There it is, the one razor to rule them all.

No photos, no review, just many humble thanks for helping me solve a 30 year old problem.

Well done! I haven't had your travails, and feel somewhat fortunate and guilty (without reason) in my razor journey. I haven't met a razor yet that irritates me. I'm pleased to hear your journey is going well.

Fantastic. Glad you found your razor. The Timeless is on my wishlist if any of you all were looking for birthday gift ideas for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad you found the right combination! I also have sensitive skin and a course beard, and thought because of my skin I needed a mild razor. I tried many mild razors (including the AS-D2) and it wasn't until I tried larger blade gaps that I started getting great shaves. The Timeless scalloped .95 is my daily shaver now, and my skin is thanking me for it!

Glad to hear you're so pleased with the Timeless. It really is a fabulous razor and the fact that it's so gorgeous is icing on the cake.

As the owner of both a Timeless and Feather AS-D2, I was particularly interested in reading your comparison to the Rockwell since I've often thought about picking one up, given that it gets so many positive reviews.

It's interesting to note there seem to be some correlation between skin condition and razor selection. I suppose I'd describe my beard as coarse-ish but not particularly dense, and my skin is easily damaged because it's already scarred, especially around the upper neck area and chin, not to mention prolific moles. In my limited experience there is no choice but to use a 'mild' razor. However, until the Rockwell I didn't realise that mild didn't have to mean inefficient.

As the owner of both a Timeless and Feather AS-D2, I was particularly interested in reading your comparison to the Rockwell...

Comparing the Rockwell 6S to the Feather AS-D2 isn't fair on either device really, they're very different. The Feather is essentially a modern - and beautifully crafted - Gillette Tech, albeit considerably milder. The Rockwell on the other hand, this is a modern design with narrow pre-edge relief and wide post-edge relief thanks to the bigger cap. Chalk and cheese.

The Rockwell more directly compares to the Timeless. Same basic design ideas; heavy, larger blade angle, similar reliefs pre and post edge, a more acute approach angle for the whole razor and similar character in performance. The differences are only really the obvious ones. Rockwell is adjustable, while the Timeless is just a higher quality bit of kit.

Rockwell 6S = Subaru Liberty GT - Solid, versatile and performs well as a daily. Not flashy, but not spectacularly expensive either.
Timeless SB .68 = Porsche Cayman - Solid, less versatile, is a bit more showy, but still awesome as a daily. Higher entry fee... but still worth it. :)

Can you afford a Liberty GT *and* an Cayman? ;)

Thanks for the reply, Kman.

After re-reading my post I realized I should have worded it more like "As a fellow owner of both a Timeless and Feather AS-D2...". It probably wasn't clear the way I worded it that I have them both already, so sorry if that was at all confusing.

Anyway, I am extremely happy with both the Feather and Timeless, so the Rockwell is really more of a curiosity to me since it seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

Trying to illustrate that the 6S compares more closely to the Timeless than it does to the Feather. As a 'curiosity' I think Rockwell deserves a lot of credit for innovation, and not just because of the reversible plates, it's a reasonably affordable entry into very capable shaving performance. Locally (Australia) it's less than half the cost of a basic Timeless kit and leaves lots of change from the Feather budget too. You could argue it ticks more boxes than the Timeless and Feather combined.

Really, the only reason I wanted the Timeless was to combine the Rockwell shaving performance with the Feather quality. I *wanted* to love the Feather, but it just couldn't perform like the Rockwell. As an essentially utilitarian appliance the Feather never quite cut it. The Timeless is both awesomely well crafted and performs better than both for me. However, on a performance and versatility per dollar basis, the Rockwell wins hands down.

Awesome insights and review, I am so tempted to buy one now. Recently purchased a blackbird, next on my list would be a Timeless Razor exactly like my avatar. RAD is real!

Top Bottom