What's new

Technique: Ambidextrous Shaving

Ostensibly, learning to use a straight is a foreign experience in regards to muscle memory, regardless of which hand you are using. If you have to train yourself to do it, why not train yourself to use both hands?
That's what I heard before starting and have always used both hands despite my left hand only being trusted in the past to hold nails before striking and maybe to help my dominant hand. Was there blood, yes, but no lasting scars and after about 15-20 shaves I started not having to do as much thinking about blade orientation, angle and pressure and my shaves improved. After a few more shaves it became less foreign and more natural to the point now that I considered just using my dominant hand, but don't trust myself enough to try because it seems odd. Now, when it comes to DE shaving, I'm a dominant hand only shaver because using both hands seems odd.

There's no rules, the shaving police aren't going to arrest you for only using one hand. But you might find that things work better if you use both.

At this point in my life, any new skill I learn is usually by necessity. So when I started using a straight razor, I was wearing a full beard and was only using it to shave my neck and to clean up the line on the cheeks. I only used my right hand because I could accomplish what I needed. For the left side I just opened the scales to 180 degrees and held it kamisori style.

When I shaved off my beard a few years later, I started off only doing a North/South and a South/North pass and neither of those required me to change my technique. However when I added a right to left pass, I discovered that there was some benefit to using my left hand for certain areas because I could get a better angle of attack. And, a lot of it depends on how you're stretching your skin. I'd prefer not to twist myself into a pretzel to get a good stretch so sometimes that means switching hands.

When learning to use the off hand, just focus on moving the whole arm rather than fine wrist movements and you'll be surprised at how quickly it comes together.

I am strongly right hand dominant, but, when I picked up the straight razor about twenty years ago, I was determined to use both hands, and I still do so today. It's no more than training the opposite side of one's brain.
That said, I make no judgements about the way anyone else decides to proceed.
Ostensibly, learning to use a straight is a foreign experience in regards to muscle memory, regardless of which hand you are using. If you have to train yourself to do it, why not train yourself to use both hands?
This is a good answer.

For fun gave wrong hand try, could work over time of effort was put into learning wrong hand shaving.

Some people are good at switching hands, eyes, shooting weak side, they improvise, adapt, and overcome.

I had to shave with my weak hand for a while after sustaining an injury last fall, and one of the things I enjoyed most about regaining use of my dominant hand was the ability to shave properly again.

Use both hands.
Have done since the beginning.

I use my dominant hand for a bit more than half of my face, but once you train your weak hand it's easier to use it than not.

I used to shoot a pistol match that required changing hands mid clip...against the clock too.
That one used to really sort people out!

I use both hands almost perfectly symmetrically. When I was starting straight razor shaving I read or heard somewhere that it is good idea to learn to use both hands. So I did from the beginning and that works nicely for me.

Following recommendations, I starting out shaving with straights in ambidextrous fashion. I pretty much divide my face along the vertical axis. Anything on the left side is done with the left hand. Anything on the right with the right. More recently, I've been using safety razors, and based on my experience with straights, I've done the same there. Works quite well.

This has led me to think that I'm more ambidextrous than I thought, and maybe a large part of so-called hand dominance is a societal construct. This has led me to become far more ambidextrous in household carpentry and painting, which is quite advantageous in tight situations. That said, I cannot face-lather ambidextrously, which is one reason why I prefer to palm-lather.

I started to play drums 2.5 years ago, and since then ive started to do more stuff with my weak hand (and foot). My right side is like, going to university while my left just started 4th grade almost. Ive sharpened some knifes switching between left and right, and tried it with a razor too, but its a long way to go. But its all muscle memory i guess, and the ability to adjust technique to the weaker hand.
Best advice i got on ambidexterety is to practice slowly and evenly.
And perhaps to use a metronome for honing. When practising drums its way better to have an external signal that tells you where youre supposed to be, cause even if i think im on the beat, im not, cause im only imagining it.
It also helps the mind to learn the muscles to keep from spazzing out since its never been used before, and that reoccurs for me when honing eith the left...

Top Bottom