What's new

Technique: Ambidextrous Shaving

How many straight razor shavers on this forum alternate hands while shaving? It goes against the advice of the two books I've read on straight razors. I used to only hold the razor in my right hand. Tons of cuts, only one "good" shave, and a lot of headache were the result. Today, I held the razor in the hand opposite to the side of my face that was receiving the blade, and experienced a much better shave. Only one tiny, dot-sized cut on the left side of the upper-sideburn area, which barely produced blood, quickly stopped, and occurred with the razor being in my dominant hand. I would consider myself to be mildly ambidextrous, but nowhere near handwriting level. For example, when wrapping a completed pallet full of product, I walk the plastic in a counter-clockwise circle. I'm interested in the forum's general thoughts on alternating blade hands, since the books on the subject discourage the practice.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
How many straight razor shavers on this forum alternate hands while shaving? It goes against the advice of the two books I've read on straight razors. I used to only hold the razor in my right hand. Tons of cuts, only one "good" shave, and a lot of headache were the result. Today, I held the razor in the hand opposite to the side of my face that was receiving the blade, and experienced a much better shave. Only one tiny, dot-sized cut on the left side of the upper-sideburn area, which barely produced blood, quickly stopped, and occurred with the razor being in my dominant hand. I would consider myself to be mildly ambidextrous, but nowhere near handwriting level. For example, when wrapping a completed pallet full of product, I walk the plastic in a counter-clockwise circle. I'm interested in the forum's general thoughts on alternating blade hands, since the books on the subject discourage the practice.
I have never read up on the subject but when I first started to use a straight and then a Feather AC it only felt natural using my dominant hand. I forced myself to persevere with also using my non dominant hand thereby developing muscle memory. Now I use both hands. I modeled my technique on this video and I have not seen any better.

I have never read up on the subject but when I first started to use a straight and then a Feather AC it only felt natural using my dominant hand. I forced myself to persevere with also using my non dominant hand thereby developing muscle memory. Now I use both hands. I modeled my technique on this video and I have not seen any better.

Great video. Thanks!

I've done both with success. It really depends on the length of the blade for me. A shorter blade feels more comfortable in my dominant hand, but for longer blades using both hands feels more comfortable to me.
Growth direction is maybe also a factor. Because the hair on my neck grows sideways, I feel more comfortable shaving that area with my dominant hand only for the passes with and against the grain. The angle just feels uncomfortable, if I try to shave there with my off-hand.

No idea why your books would discourage the practice. I use both hands every time. I actually found it harder to train my dominant hand to stop using pressures appropriate to a cartridge razor, than I did to train the off hand to shave properly.

Like you, I use the right hand for the left side, and vice versa. I was very surprised to learn that some two-hand shavers here shave on the same side as the hand holding the razor.

Ultimately it's all about what works best for the individual shaver, of course.

I've done both with success. It really depends on the length of the blade for me. A shorter blade feels more comfortable in my dominant hand, but for longer blades using both hands feels more comfortable to me.
Growth direction is maybe also a factor. Because the hair on my neck grows sideways, I feel more comfortable shaving that area with my dominant hand only for the passes with and against the grain. The angle just feels uncomfortable, if I try to shave there with my off-hand.
I definitely agree for the neck. My neck hair closer to the jaw grows downward, but the hairs closer to the chest, on the lower part of the neck, grow upward.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I shave my entire face with one hand then do the same with my other hand going in the opposite direction of course.This works well for me and only requires one change of hands. It takes about five minutes for the entire shave.

Legion

Staff member
I've always used both hands with straights, since the beginning. I think it would be much more difficult for me to use one hand and shave in the different directions I want to, while stretching the skin correctly. I'm not sure what books on SR say only use one hand, unless you were barbering somebody else. All the old school books I have read show the shaver using both hands.

I've used both hands since the beginning (not that long ago) and quickly got comfortable with my non-dominant left hand.
I also use my left hand to shave some parts of my face on the right side (and vice versa), as this seems more comfortable. In particular, I reach across to do under my nose and close to the corner of my mouth, and corners of my chin.

Interesting that you're reading says not to switch, because I'm used to seeing everything saying the opposite, standard guidance tends to be that you should learn to use both hands.

Personally, I eschewed that guidance and have been perfectly successful with just one hand as I really don't feel comfortable trying my non-dominant hand.

Both can work fine, but many here say they used both from the beginning because learning to use both is the standard guidance given. I'm wondering where you're reading otherwise.

I'm sure there are many here capable of such a shave but to me, that is amazing. I can't imagine in my wildest dreams achieving that level of skill, of course he's been doing it for 30 years - and I am literally just beginning.

Edit:

I just watched the video more closely and noticed that on his first pass he uses his right hand for the entire pass, except when he switches to his left hand to shave the upper portion of his right cheek. So I assume he is using his dominant hand for 75-80% of his shave, which obviously works very well for him.

Last edited:
When I started SR shaving a year ago I made myself use both hands and am glad that I did. It was a little tricky at first with my non-dominant hand, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Now I can't imagine how I could properly shave with only my right hand. It would be way too difficult to do some areas on my neck where the hair grow in about 3 different directions.

That Chimensch video is a thing of beauty. I've watched a lot of SR shaving videos on Youtube and have never seen a better one.

Top Bottom