What's new

Need for antiseptic after shaving (alum block, splash, etc)?

Not a newbie at this point as I’ve been shaving with a DE razor for 12 years, but I have never given this much thought. I’ve been perusing the forums a bit more recently and have noticed people talking about alum blocks which has gotten me down this trail.

Is there a need for something with antiseptic properties after shaving? Some people use splashe or other aftershaves that have alcohol, which will do it. Others seem to use alum blocks. I’ve only ever used two different balms, neither of which have alcohol nor mention being antiseptic on the bottles. I’ve gotten my share of nicks, cuts, and weepers and am still standing. For bigger cuts, I have rubbed a little hand soap in there and rinsed to clean it out. I generally just dab little nicks with a tissue and just splash a little water and weepers and go on with my day.

But perhaps I should be doing more.

I use an alum block because I enjoy the "tightening" feeling after a shave. It also provides helpful feedback if I have not concentrated on technique sufficiently. Once I wash it off, I apply an alcohol based splash. An then, after cleaning up and stropping, before I leave the bathroom I add moisturiser. It's ritual more than science, but it makes me feel good.

Not a newbie at this point as I’ve been shaving with a DE razor for 12 years, but I have never given this much thought. I’ve been perusing the forums a bit more recently and have noticed people talking about alum blocks which has gotten me down this trail.

Is there a need for something with antiseptic properties after shaving? Some people use splashe or other aftershaves that have alcohol, which will do it. Others seem to use alum blocks. I’ve only ever used two different balms, neither of which have alcohol nor mention being antiseptic on the bottles. I’ve gotten my share of nicks, cuts, and weepers and am still standing. For bigger cuts, I have rubbed a little hand soap in there and rinsed to clean it out. I generally just dab little nicks with a tissue and just splash a little water and weepers and go on with my day.

But perhaps I should be doing more.
Entirely up to you and your skin type/preferences. I only use alum or a styptic pencil if I have a nick that does not stop bleeding right away. Otherwise, since my pre-shave routine is to wash my face and I shave with shaving soap based lather I've likely already removed most bacteria during my shaving process. No issues to-date.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I shave before I shower so I do use an Alum Block as it gets rinsed off in the shower. After my shower I then mostly use an Aftershave balm and then an EDT.

As others note, this is really up to you.

I generally prefer a splash, most often with alcohol but witch hazel is also very effective. Depending on the weather I may follow with a skin lotion or balm.

Thanks for the replies. So, is it generally considered necessary to use some antiseptic following a shave (either a splash, alum block, or another type of aftershave that contains alcohol)? If so, every time or just when you have visible bleeding?

I only use a balm or aftershave when I've had a really bad shave (attempting to use a straight not fit for use, for example). Otherwise wash off and go on my way.

I dislike lingering scents, and the rhino hide I have for facial skin is very rarely irritated.

I don't see a need for any post shave treatment, but I won't argue with anyone who likes one.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for the replies. So, is it generally considered necessary to use some antiseptic following a shave (either a splash, alum block, or another type of aftershave that contains alcohol)? If so, every time or just when you have visible bleeding?
Unless you are using another persons equipment or supplies, or shave with a dirty face or with filthy tools, (none of which I would recommend) antiseptic isn't really necessary.
There's certainly no harm in applying some type of antiseptic, so whether folks need it or not, many do apply it.
I like alcohol based aftershaves because of the feeling, not for any antiseptic purpose.

I’ve always understood the alum block is meant to close up any nicks or weepers, or the potential of such. People may enjoy the face feel as well. As was mentioned, in many cases it’s ritual more than science. I certainly have no science to back it up but, I often use an alcohol splash followed by a balm. Mostly just for the face feel.

Thank you for all of the thoughtful replies. It was really helpful. I think I’ll get a little alum block just to give it a spin on the rare occasions I get any sort of nick or weeper. What do people store them in?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thank you for all of the thoughtful replies. It was really helpful. I think I’ll get a little alum block just to give it a spin on the rare occasions I get any sort of nick or weeper. What do people store them in?
Just let it sit out so it dries.

No, an antiseptic isn't needed.

You can even go crazy and use no aftershave products and just rinse with water.

There should be no visible bleeding when you are done shaving. If there is, you need to work on your technique.

A 2 for 1 option is Myrsol Metilsol which has both alcohol (antiseptic) and potassium alum which is the astringent.

From an article discussing the subject:
  1. Potassium alum is generally considered to be safe for use on the skin, while concerns have been raised about the potential health risks associated with the use of aluminum-based antiperspirants, including the potential link to breast cancer and Alzheimer's disease.

I splash on witch hazel after every shave, letting it air-dry while cleaning up, and before applying aftershave. WH is also my go-to for insect bites, cuts, & other skin irritations. It just feels good after shaving and if it's late in the day I even skip the aftershave. I also splash it on my head after buzzing my hair. WH stops most weepers and minor shaving nicks, but if witch hazel doesn't stop the bleeding, I have small containers of alum from the grocery, and from pulverizing an alum block. I dip a wet finger in and apply the alum to the nick. When dry, I brush it off. If still bleeding, I reapply the alum.

I’ve used alum block or a septic pin. When needed It will close weepers and feels skin tightening. Now, ice block rubdown and non-alcohol WH. Maybe an AS afterwards

Top Bottom