What's new

Tallow vs Vegan

For many years I have preferred tallow based soaps. The last few months I have added two vegan soaps to my rotation- Abbate y LaMantia Isacco and Central Texas Soaps Bourbon Pumpkin- with great results. Once I had the water/soap ratio dialed in, these soaps performed as well as any as my best tallows. Tallow soaps have been steadily improving, but it seems vegans have improved even more. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, there are several top vegan soaps that I use. Grooming Dept Janus Vegan is incredible (easily my #1 performer for a vegan soap and comparable to any tallow soap I own). Other very good/outstanding vegan soaps are (and this is far from complete list):

Southern Witchcrafts
Zingari
Saponificio Varesino v3
Le Pere Lucien
Martin de Candre
Sudsy Soapery (mostly vegan)
Wet Shaving Products Rustic line

I have not tried many vegan soaps, but the ones I have used, Soap Commander and Proraso to be precise, have provided me with plenty of slickness if loaded/lathered adequately (just like you mentioned). Most of the tallow-based soaps lead me to an oily face in the summertime, so all my tallow-based soap is shelved until those nasty cold/dry Chicago days return. I'd love to try more in the future, but am pretty happy with what I have right now. More time than money :D

I sort of paid attention to the tallow vs vegan argument when I started almost 10 years ago, but I eventually settled on which brand of soaps work for me and which don't. Other than my Harris (tallow), I couldn't tell you what category my other 20 soaps fall into, nor do I care. Soaps either work for me with my well water or they get tossed or PIF'd.

I've found there are good and not so good soaps with and without tallow. MdC and Saponificio Varesino are both excellent, but then so are Mike's and vintage Old Spice and Yardley. I sometimes think the latter is my favorite soap, but on another day one of the other four will be, or something completely different. Ancient, modern, tallow or vegan, they can all be winners.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm one of those guys that thought I could only like tallow soaps, but @njpaddy PIFFED me some soap that I believe was Sterling that was clear. I'm not at home, or I'd be certain. To say I was shocked at its performance would be an understatement..

I think there are definitely at least a couple elite soaps that are vegan base. SV is one of those for me. I’d be hard pressed to be able tell that it wasn’t a tallow soap if I didn’t know before hand.

These days it is really hard to tell the difference between Tallow and Vegan soap bases and is not as obvious as it was in the past.

There are good and bad soaps in each category and unless you are Vegan i would recommend trying a few different soap bases and see what works best for you.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I say both with the edge to tallow. I think soap commander is the best vegan soap ive tried.

I prefer tallow soaps but there are good vegan soaps out there as well. Soap Commander is probably the best performing vegan soap for me.

The thing is that it's very easy to make a good tallow soap and at a very cheap price. Because there is a reason why they say "grease the wheels", "oil the lock". Fat just works! Sure, you can make a vegan soap with tons of glycerin, essential oils etc, to make a similar vegan soap, but you can make the same in tallow at a fraction of the cost.

Arko costs about 1 EUR per piece. In UK, the Palmolive stick was about £0.5. What vegan soap at similar price can compete in performance?

There are excellent vegan soaps, for example SV and MdC. However, I generally prefer ‘tallow’ options.

My favorite Vegan soaps are also in my top 5 bases. PannaCrema Nuavia Blu is my fav followed by SV Beta 4.3 and Pereira Shavery. Can't tell the difference between these and tallow.

So far I have enjoyed tallow based soaps more than vegan soaps, granted I have not tried any of the more expensive ones. I agree with some of the other posters the performance/price ratio for tallow soaps is much better so far.

I did order some PAA samples to disprove my theory.

I prefer tallow but I also got a good shave today off Central Texas’ Citrus Burst (Christmas gift). I’m picky about scents and like that too.

I prefer tallow but I also got a good shave today off Central Texas’ Citrus Burst (Christmas gift). I’m picky about scents and like that too.

I tried a sample theirs. It performed well but I did not like the scent (Down by the River). I was not impressed enough to buy a full tub of it (although Mr. Pepper did look interesting).

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I really don't judge a soap on tallow or vegan
If it works for me. There's plenty of good soap's in both camps. Scent and slickness and cusion
,how it lathers and of course price.

A few weeks I worked near a tallowsmeltery. Therefore I never use tallowsoaps. I can still feel the stench after 30 years.

Tallow or vegan doesn't seem to matter much in my experience. Great vegan soaps I've tried include Grooming Dept. Janus (Valencia is awesome) and Sudsy Soapery.

Top Bottom