What's new

Tallow vs Vegan

MdC was the soap that opened my eyes to vegan soaps. Prior to that, I was a tallow evangelist. The performance of MdC gave me the incentive to stretch out. Now I have Caties Bubbles and Henri et Victoria. These are excellent soaps and perform as well as my tallow soaps. Because of this experience, I have no hesitation in ordering vegan soaps.

MdC was the soap that opened my eyes to vegan soaps. Prior to that, I was a tallow evangelist. The performance of MdC gave me the incentive to stretch out. Now I have Caties Bubbles and Henri et Victoria. These are excellent soaps and perform as well as my tallow soaps. Because of this experience, I have no hesitation in ordering vegan soaps.

I was similarly a "tallow snob" when I first began and then happened upon a couple of vegan soaps that provided the eye opener for me as well. Top performing soap is top performing soap and we are blessed with some creative and talented artisans worldwide that are producing phenomenal options for us to use.

I have hard water a gravitate to tallow soaps. I do have some non- tallows that work like SV.

Does anyone know if there is a relationship between hard water and tallow or non-tallow performance?

I have almost exclusively used vegan shaving products since I have been using a brush: Proraso, Maison Lambert, MdC, and SV. The lone exception is Speick: glycerin based, but includes beeswax. I have absolutely no interest in trying tallow based soaps.

I have almost exclusively used vegan shaving products since I have been using a brush: Proraso, Maison Lambert, MdC, and SV. The lone exception is Speick: glycerin based, but includes beeswax. I have absolutely no interest in trying tallow based soaps.

You are missing out on some good soaps, but to each there own.

You are missing out on some good soaps, but to each there own.

Some say YMMV. I prefer "don't yuck my yums, man." :cornut:

I just happened to start off with the vegans and they happened to work well. Now that I have a setup that works (I am also a one razor and essentially one blade guy) and enough flavors between my favorites (SV and MdC) to stave off boredom, I have very little interest in risking irritation if only for a couple days. Who knows how my journey would have gone if I started with Stirling or Wholly Kaw...

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Pretty much my story too. I use both, my top tier vegan and top tier tallow are all... top tier.

Many soaps and creams can give me a rash after a few days of use. Usually it's lanolin or heavy scents that cause the problem but not always, so I try to pay attention to what ingredients are used. I have fewer problems with soaps or creams that aren't made with animal products, so I generally stick with those.

It seems to me that many very fine Continental European soaps are vegan. Several have already been mentioned. I also enjoy Klar, Institut Karite and some RazoRock TFS soaps. For the most part (I know that there are notable exceptions) American artisans seem to prefer to make tallow soaps.

Some say YMMV. I prefer "don't yuck my yums, man." :cornut:

I just happened to start off with the vegans and they happened to work well. Now that I have a setup that works (I am also a one razor and essentially one blade guy) and enough flavors between my favorites (SV and MdC) to stave off boredom, I have very little interest in risking irritation if only for a couple days. Who knows how my journey would have gone if I started with Stirling or Wholly Kaw...

Cannot argue with that philosophy. I basically have two tallow soaps I use because they work well for me and I don't feel like dialing in another soap. I still have samples in the top of my closet that are months old because I don't want to mess with getting them right.

I do have a couple of PAA CK-6 samples I want to try and it is a vegan soap.

Top Bottom