What's new

Tallow + Steel Rainforest

Shipping took almost three weeks (can't fault delays too much with the current situation), but my set of Rainforest II arrived today. Worth the wait!

First time using anything from T&S, and I can't argue the excellent quality. Great cushiony lather and very slick. I see what people mean about the aftershave being a thicker blend, but I don't find it to be too tacky. Perhaps a little stickier than higher alcohol content products sure, but not bothersome to me.

I enjoy the scent. I agree with others who say it's mild. I think it's just strong enough. For me the word rainforest is more evocative of tropical thoughts, so I wasn't sure what to expect with this scent profile. To me upon first opening the tub the fir and cedar really stuck out, with a wet earthy smell not far behind. Exactly the opposite to what someone else in here wrote, I did not find the citrus to open up until I began lathering, but it has a nice punch. It's hard to detect exact notes, but I also felt that a hint of sweetness shows itself as you're lathering - perhaps due to the floral components and patchouli. After use 1 I do like the scent, and can see this being one that grows on me. With that said, it is an incredibly nuanced fragrance and I can see why many of his scents have had somewhat divisive reviews.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Shipping took almost three weeks (can't fault delays too much with the current situation), but my set of Rainforest II arrived today. Worth the wait!

First time using anything from T&S, and I can't argue the excellent quality. Great cushiony lather and very slick. I see what people mean about the aftershave being a thicker blend, but I don't find it to be too tacky. Perhaps a little stickier than higher alcohol content products sure, but not bothersome to me.

I enjoy the scent. I agree with others who say it's mild. I think it's just strong enough. For me the word rainforest is more evocative of tropical thoughts, so I wasn't sure what to expect with this scent profile. To me upon first opening the tub the fir and cedar really stuck out, with a wet earthy smell not far behind. Exactly the opposite to what someone else in here wrote, I did not find the citrus to open up until I began lathering, but it has a nice punch. It's hard to detect exact notes, but I also felt that a hint of sweetness shows itself as you're lathering - perhaps due to the floral components and patchouli. After use 1 I do like the scent, and can see this being one that grows on me. With that said, it is an incredibly nuanced fragrance and I can see why many of his scents have had somewhat divisive reviews.
Great review. Glad its a hit for you. I used it today.

Great review, and the "nose" is indeed different for everyone in many fragrances (I'll only mention the Veg in passing :adoration:). Interesting that you pick up the "petrichor" note as well - it really is an unusual addition to a soap or AS.

Great review. Glad its a hit for you. I used it today.

Thank you! Definitely will be my pick again for this evening's shave. If not the rest of the week!

Great review, and the "nose" is indeed different for everyone in many fragrances (I'll only mention the Veg in passing :adoration:). Interesting that you pick up the "petrichor" note as well - it really is an unusual addition to a soap or AS.

Indeed. Our sniffers are all tuned a little differently. Yes, I definitely got that petrichor, rainy earthy type scent though. One I have always liked and I think it fits this scent profile and a scent called "Rainforest" quite well. I think it's a less commonly seen choice because that type of scent (petrichor/ozone) is too distinct to use without going for a pretty specific profile and probably has fewer good scent pairs than other ingredients.

Top Bottom