What's new

Scent of decaying balsam fir?

This is a long shot but this place seems to find all sorts of obscure scents so I thought I'd ask.

I've learned over many decades one of my favorite scents is the smell of the floor of a balsam fir forest. It's not balsam fir scent in the same way as "christmas tree", it's more of a aromatic woody, decaying leaf smell, but very specific. If I'm in a forest and smell it, almost immediately I'll find a stand of balsam fir nearby.

For a while I thought this was something I'd never see outside of a forest setting but then my daughter got these Mr. Sketch holiday scented markers one year, and the "chimney" marker was exactly this scent. The thing is, that marker doesn't smell like a chimney or woodsmoke to me at all, it smells like decaying balsam fir. I imagine it's supposed to smell like peat or something? In any event, it made me think this might a standard fragrance component in the industry or something, if it's showing up in children's scented markers.

Are there any soaps or creams that meet this description?

This is a long shot but this place seems to find all sorts of obscure scents so I thought I'd ask.

I've learned over many decades one of my favorite scents is the smell of the floor of a balsam fir forest. It's not balsam fir scent in the same way as "christmas tree", it's more of a aromatic woody, decaying leaf smell, but very specific. If I'm in a forest and smell it, almost immediately I'll find a stand of balsam fir nearby.

For a while I thought this was something I'd never see outside of a forest setting but then my daughter got these Mr. Sketch holiday scented markers one year, and the "chimney" marker was exactly this scent. The thing is, that marker doesn't smell like a chimney or woodsmoke to me at all, it smells like decaying balsam fir. I imagine it's supposed to smell like peat or something? In any event, it made me think this might a standard fragrance component in the industry or something, if it's showing up in children's scented markers.

Are there any soaps or creams that meet this description?

The closest thing to it that I have used is MacDuff Kananaskis Explorer. Notes are Balsam Pine, Juniper Berries, Blue Spruce, Fir Needle, Tree Resin, Patchouli

Unfortunately...looks like it is sold out at both MacDuff and Pasteur.

I think you want Southern Witchcrafts' "Autumn Ash". From their Web site: The quintessential Fall fragrance. Dark and resinous, this accord is spicy, dirty, smokey, sweet and and perfectly captures the scent of damp Autumn air.
Scent notes: Maple, spice, smoke, amber, cedar, oud, rain, plum, blackberry, ash, birch tar, pumpkin, coffee, dirt, mildew

You have a very specific scent in mind, I don't know if this is at all close, but you might want to sniff Arkadia, by Stirling. It has an earthy cedar smell. I hear it might be an homage to Creed Adventus, but I don't know.

Top Bottom