What's new

Tallow + Steel Rainforest

Anyone else’s face not get along with their aftershaves? I’ve tried 3 different kinds now and they’ve all left my face somewhat sticky. Rainforest two for me has a very forward orange scent mixed with a cedar scent. It’s not a bad thing, but be aware that the orange is kinda strong in this. Soap performance is good on this soap and I like the fact they only use essential oils, but being my third tallow and steel soap it still hasn’t blown me away and will probably be my last due to the higher costs with shipping vs amount of product received.

T&S's AS is a low alcohol (almost no alcohol) splash, with a witch hazel/water base, so is more like Thayers' WH formulation than a standard alcohol splash, and does leave a tacky feel from the aloe vera, glycerin and other additives. It's actually pretty protective, and assuming you don't touch your face (now a really good idea, but always was), not particularly noticeable. They do use essential oils, which can produce reactions in some folks (tea tree oil and I get along not at all). No soap or AS hits the sweet spot for everyone, and fortunately there is a universe of options for wet shavers.

T+S is actually about mid-range for cost among artisan soaps, but for me is a little higher performing than many of the more expensive products, and for most of the less expensive equivalents.

I bought Rainforest II primarily for T&S' spectacular performance as the soap base itself works so well on my face. Nevertheless, I'm still kind of struggling to enjoy the scent. It is not offensive or intolerable by any stretch of imagination at all. The scent strength on it is light to mid, to my nose at least. I'm hoping that the scent grows on my over time. It is a pleasant scent. What I'm having problem with is that I'm not sure if the 'wild orange' mixes well with the rest of the scent notes. Scent is subjective in this hobby. But I would have loved it more if it had much less orange.

Fragrances are indeed subjective, but compared to many of my other soaps, T+S is fairly light on intensity to my nose. Rainforest does have an indistinct citrus front end - to me closer to bitter limes - but fades for me on lathering, and the AS only lasts for a couple of hours; it wouldn't be my first choice for a citrus soap, although I like the fragrance. I actually like a citrus soap, but for actual intensity and true orange, B&M's Nordost is the closest I've found, followed by CFG's "dusty" Santa Paula Citrus, and a more complex orange in A&E's L'Orange Vert or B&M's Seville. Any of those last awhile, and really do resemble the tangy orange fruit in profile.

Had a great Sunday shave with Rainforest Two. I dig the scent for sure. In terms of the aftershave, I get along well with the T&S formula in terms of not being tacky, but I also apply to a slightly damp face and have slightly damp hands when I get dispense it from the bottle.

I got RainForest Two aftershave and soap. I also got Sas'quets aftershave.

Both scents are very mild. I am terrible at describing scents. These both are pretty good but not great. I will happily use them but would be in no rush to restock them.

I also have a set of Rainforest II on the way. The description of the original always sounded appealing. I went back and forth as T&S scents do seem to elicit rather polarized opinions, but the FOMO won since it's a limited edition. Hope it's a winner. Sicily is another one that would tempt me in the future, as I am a big fan of citrus.

I also have a set of Rainforest II on the way. The description of the original always sounded appealing. I went back and forth as T&S scents do seem to elicit rather polarized opinions, but the FOMO won since it's a limited edition. Hope it's a winner. Sicily is another one that would tempt me in the future, as I am a big fan of citrus.

Sicily is the truest lemon scent I have found, and is all lemon. Reminds me of sitting on the veranda under the lemon trees by Lake Garda one Summer evening - not Sicily, but I can still smell the fragrance....

Sicily is the truest lemon scent I have found, and is all lemon. Reminds me of sitting on the veranda under the lemon trees by Lake Garda one Summer evening - not Sicily, but I can still smell the fragrance....

Oooooh, I love lemon. I have at least 5 or 6 lemon products in my bathroom right now...(not all shave stuff). I will show self control. For now. But I guess now I have to get a set of that eventually. 🤑

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My order has been in for several days but a delay on my end picking it up. Anyway got to use rainforest 2 today. I agree with you all who have given detailed reviews. I was a tad short on water but added a few drops later. Fabulous lather. Big cushion feeling. The scent is generally on the mild side but enjoying the scent throughout my shave. So hard to describe but i like it! I get a subtle pine? Note to it. This is definitely an all year scent. Subtle but rich. Deep notes. i usually add menthol to their as
I echo the comments about the quality of their as. You have to adjust expectations from a alcohol splash. There is alcohol that lets menthol dissolve easily. That modification gives me some boost and makes up for the lower alcohol content.but i cant see these ts products causing any irritation but ymmv of course. I dont find ts as at all goopy like gingers garden for example.

Rainforest II is fantastic overall. I keep smelling it. It reminds me of the Pacific northwest but totally different from sasqets.

My order has been in for several days but a delay on my end picking it up. Anyway got to use rainforest 2 today. I agree with you all who have given detailed reviews. I was a tad short on water but added a few drops later. Fabulous lather. Big cushion feeling. The scent is generally on the mild side but enjoying the scent throughout my shave. So hard to describe but i like it! I get a subtle pine? Note to it. This is definitely an all year scent. Subtle but rich. Deep notes. i usually add menthol to their as
I echo the comments about the quality of their as. You have to adjust expectations from a alcohol splash. There is alcohol that lets menthol dissolve easily. That modification gives me some boost and makes up for the lower alcohol content.but i cant see these ts products causing any irritation but ymmv of course. I dont find ts as at all goopy like gingers garden for example.

Rainforest II is fantastic overall. I keep smelling it. It reminds me of the Pacific northwest but totally different from sasqets.
Nice post. It’s a winner for sure. Very relaxing

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
So - T+S Rainforest Two.

My opinions and use only, as a disclaimer, and I have no connection with the product or company other than as a consumer. That out of the way, another wonderful soap and AS from our Canadian friends in my opinion. Super slick, thick, cushiony lather, that should support two passes easily with one application. It's a slightly thirsty soap, so extra water would not be misplaced. I have soft water, so VERY easy to lather, but I would expect good performance with any water in the normal range, and maybe even with fairly hard water. As most probably know, water is the second - maybe even the most important - ingredient in a good lather.

The fragrance is very unique - a distinctly forward citrus (tropical limes) scent in the dry soap, which actually tones down with lathering. And on lathering actually combines I would guess in equal parts with - not kidding - petrichor (that wet rock/rain/earth scent, reminiscent of B&M's Petrichor). Just two primary notes that I detect, but very artfully combined, and certainly not overwhelming but fades to a very subtle fragrance. Hoping this becomes a standard for T+S, because it's a very pleasant fragrance, and one I would use year-round, but a particularly appropriate Spring/Summer offering.

The AS is T&S's excellent low-alcohol witch hazel-based splash, very soothing and hydrating. Definitely detect more citrus here, with petrichor fading into the background, and - again not kidding - a very faint note of licorice. A fantastic combination both in performance and scent, and a morning treat for the senses.

Will be a permanent part of my rotation if they keep it, and if you're looking for an off-the-beaten-path shaving experience, head to the rainforest!

View attachment 1078751

View attachment 1078752
Fantastic review btw
Petrichor is what i must pick up here.i thought it was a pine scent

Fantastic review btw
Petrichor is what i must pick up here.i thought it was a pine scent

Thanks! B&M had a soap (now d/c'd but perhaps Will will reintroduce it) actually called Petrichor, which was close to the pure fragrance. It's one of the hardest fragrances to describe (and probably to make), but if you imagine the sun heating up the sidewalk, or a flat rock or hard earth, then a short rain followed by the sun coming out again and warming the ground, that's part of the scent. It also combines a rich earth scent from the forest floor, and could certainly have notes of pine in it - appropriate for a rain forest! It's one of my favorite fragrances, very low intensity, and I still have some of B&M's initial run stashed away for special occasions. Fragrance as others noted is very subjective, and petrichor as a fragrance is fairly unusual which is why it struck me. It's the perfect complement to tone down the sharp note of citrus, and kudos to T+S for giving us something to talk about, whether it was accidental or on purpose!

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thanks! B&M had a soap (now d/c'd but perhaps Will will reintroduce it) actually called Petrichor, which was close to the pure fragrance. It's one of the hardest fragrances to describe (and probably to make), but if you imagine the sun heating up the sidewalk, or a flat rock or hard earth, then a short rain followed by the sun coming out again and warming the ground, that's part of the scent. It also combines a rich earth scent from the forest floor, and could certainly have notes of pine in it - appropriate for a rain forest! It's one of my favorite fragrances, very low intensity, and I still have some of B&M's initial run stashed away for special occasions. Fragrance as others noted is very subjective, and petrichor as a fragrance is fairly unusual which is why it struck me. It's the perfect complement to tone down the sharp note of citrus, and kudos to T+S for giving us something to talk about, whether it was accidental or on purpose!
what strikes me every time i sniff the bottle is the feeling of familiarity. I cant describe it but it is familiar.definitely kudos to T+S for sure.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I hope everyone is enjoying the rainforest II
I fell to the temptation of the new coffee version released yesterday. Anyone else got that coming?
Cheers

I fell to the temptation of the new coffee version released yesterday. Anyone else got that coming?
Cheers
I passed on it. I know right?!? That never happens. I ordered some of the newer selections of A&E from WCS.
I’m really loving the Rainforest II. It might be my current favorite now. That changes like the weather thou.

Cheers
Surprisingly, it sold out quite fast at Karve Shaving. I cannot even imagine myself wearing that type of coffee forward scent. Maybe it is similar to their Echoes of Rain scent which many folks enjoyed. I'm still waiting for a more popular, approachable scent from T&S.

Cheers

Just missed it, but B&M's Leviathan is still my coffee favorite - sort of like having a fresh cup of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe while wearing a leather biker jacket.... :001_smile

Top Bottom