What's new

Tallow based soaps

Newbie here: Are Tallow based soaps better; and if so in what ways? Is it so good that 'once you've tried a tallow you'll never go back? What are some good ones? Thank you,
James (Denver)

Tallow-based soaps aren't necessarily better, there are some very good soaps with a vegetable base. Many people have had bad experiences with tallow-based soaps that were reformulated to vegetable-based and disappointed them. For example, many of the famous British names. Some folks just can never forget or forgive.

:lol1:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Tallow-based soaps aren't necessarily better, there are some very good soaps with a vegetable base. Many people have had bad experiences with tallow-based soaps that were reformulated to vegetable-based and disappointed them. For example, many of the famous British names. Some folks just can never forget or forgive.

:lol1:
I was a bit snarky I suppose. I have used vegetarian soaps that were given me, and have no complaints.

But... As for me and my house, we prefer the Tallow!

I've used good soaps and mediocre soaps, both tallow and veg types, and my belief is their quality was more to do with overall balance than specific ingredients.
One of the best soaps I've used was vintage Floris, which was made with tallow. However, the stuff that replaced it, made with veg oil, was terrible and just wouldn't lather properly. For a while that put me off veg soaps a bit, but I've subsequently found several made this way which are superb, like a few of the ones from Saponificio Varesino.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
There’s really only one way for you to get an answer — you must try them yourself. If you ask 20 guys, you’ll get 12.5 different answers. Lots of tallow-based and veggie soaps are available. I suggest a Stirling tallow soap and perhaps a Sudsy Soapery or SV veggie. Good luck!

’Tallow’ vs. ‘vegan’ has been debated for some time.

My take is that in general it is easier to make a high-performing ‘tallow’ based soap. These days there are great ’vegan’ soaps and some so-so ’tallow‘ soaps, so plenty of exceptions to the rule!

I've heard soap makers claim it's easier to get a good balance with tallow. That said, I've been going through my Southern Witchcrafts veg soap samples and they are amazing!

There are great tallow and non-tallow soaps out there. When several B&Bers with lots of posts recommend a particular product, I listen.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've used good soaps and mediocre soaps, both tallow and veg types, and my belief is their quality was more to do with overall balance than specific ingredients.
One of the best soaps I've used was vintage Floris, which was made with tallow. However, the stuff that replaced it, made with veg oil, was terrible and just wouldn't lather properly. For a while that put me off veg soaps a bit, but I've subsequently found several made this way which are superb, like a few of the ones from Saponificio Varesino.
Post of the day right here!

I’ll chime in here, but by no means with expert input. I believe the popularity of the tallow based soaps stems from the ease of producing a well performing soap consistently with greater ease. Whereas vegan soaps, sometimes or quite often depending on who’s opinion you are getting, fall well short of XYZ brand tallow soap being compared to it.

I have had some tallow based soaps that are just ok, and are not any better than the majority of vegan based soaps I’ve tried. Some of these are even two bases from one brand. Until writing this I hadn’t really thought much on vegan soaps being good or bad in my personal experience. But, with a short period of reflection, I have to say that I have a biased preference for tallow based soap when purchasing based on ingredients. However, I believe that I have been underwhelmed and let down by more tallow based soaps than I have vegan or non tallow soaps. I think I would actually have to defend the honor of non tallow and vegan based soaps as viable options. It is also fair for me to say that I had lower expectations for these soaps but when they do the trick I have a positive opinion.

All that being said, I think that tallow based soaps have the edge over vegan soaps in the better/elite formulations. I have yet to use a vegan soap that out performs my favorite tallow based soaps.

Last edited:
Today's tallow soaps are generally not on par with those from a decade (or more) ago. I would take a vintage tallow soap from Trumper, Penhaligon's, AoS, Floris or Haslinger over virtually any other. The few remaining mainstream, unreformulated tallow soaps like Tabac and Cella are as good as ever, but you're more likely to find an excellent non-tallow soap nowadays. La Toja, Provence Sante, Institut Karite, Pre de Provence, Martin de Candre, veggie-formulation Haslinger, L'Occitane Cade, TOBS Jermyn Street and Proraso, to name a few, are all easily obtained and will deliver outstanding shaves.

@sternej there are great soaps of all scents, formulas (tallow vs Veg), and consistencies. Then you could also add great creams from Italy, Germany, the US, the UK, and India to name a few countries that have great creams. The rabbit hole is deep when it comes to shaving soaps and creams. There are amazing artisan and big company products. Every shaver, through experimentation finds what they prefer. I would recommend trying some samples either through a big vendor or the company themselves. It takes time for your technique to catch up to the great performance of the soaps and creams. Don’t rush it, enjoy the process, experiences, scents, and performance. In the end, you’ll discover what’s best for you. Then you can try to convince us and that is fun and starts great threads and passionate discussions. An example: Cella Extra Extra Bio is the best!! (This is not a soap and it isn’t tallow based) just kidding guys don’t crush me! Although Cella Extra Extra Bio is awesome, but so is MWF, and MDC, and Speick, and Mike’s Natural, and Murphy & McNeil...(did I mention the rabbit hole is deep?) Enjoy you shaves and the different soaps and creams you try, it makes the journey worth it!

I have not tried some of the newer vegan bases that seem to be highly regarded, but I do prefer tallow and compared to the vegan bases I have tried, it does perform better. The creamy and slick density that I get from most tallow soaps just can't be beat.

If they are better or not is a subjective matter.
I personally like both Tallow and non-tallow soaps.
One of my favorite soaps is MDC, which is obviously not tallow based. But I can easily say I love arko (which is tallow based) as much as I love MDC.
Try different kind of soaps and see what works for you. Have fun.

Southern Witchcrafts vegan soaps are some of the best soaps I've used. As are the tallow-based soaps of Ariana & Evans, Barrister & Mann, Murphy & McNeil and Tallow + Steel. So the short answer is, both can be great. But notice the preponderance of tallow manufacturers mentioned

I've tried many soaps with and without tallow. I always prefered the tallow soaps. To me, the lather is thicker and more protective. Also, perhaps they don't dry your skin as much. With that, I've been shaving with a tallow soap for the last 5 years.

Southern Witchcrafts vegan soaps are some of the best soaps I've used. As are the tallow-based soaps of Ariana & Evans, Barrister & Mann, Murphy & McNeil and Tallow + Steel. So the short answer is, both can be great. But notice the preponderance of tallow manufacturers mentioned

Southern Witchcrafts vegan soap base is superb. I also like Catie's Bubbles luxury cream soap and Martin de Candre in addition to the aforementioned Saponificio Varesino for some other great vegan options.

I also think Grooming Dept Nai base is vegan, but I haven't used yet.

Top Bottom