What's new

Tallow based soaps

I prefer tallow but also enjoy good vegan soaps. PAA soaps in the CK base is real nice, SV soaps are great, MdC is awesome. That being said most of my den is habited by tallow soaps.

I must say despite me constantly inserting Tabac comments everywhere I go, I do also use Haslinger non tallow soap.
I only tried it out of curiosity because of claims it was as good as their discontinued tallow version. I do like it enough to continue using it. Tabac and Haslinger are all I use now, and that from someone who previously believed tallow was the only way to go.

I do like tallow soaps but I have one problem with them. Because of the high fat content in them I find they tend to clog my sink up. I have to run a snake thru my drain about every 2 years.
Now I try to use soaps that contain SLS (sodium laureth sulfate). It helps to improve the separation of and to prevent settling or clumping.

I must say despite me constantly inserting Tabac comments everywhere I go, I do also use Haslinger non tallow soap.
I only tried it out of curiosity because of claims it was as good as their discontinued tallow version. I do like it enough to continue using it. Tabac and Haslinger are all I use now, and that from someone who previously believed tallow was the only way to go.

Sir, you have good taste!! Tough to beat either Tabac or Haslinger for performance!! :a17: :a17:

But that’s just my opinion.

These are 3 of the finest soaps I’ve ever used:

Arko
Tabac
La Tója

The first 2 are tallow-based, the last is not. Generally speaking, I’ve found tallow-based soaps to perform better overall but there’s a lot more to a soap, whether it contains tallow or not.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Most of my favorites are non-tallow soaps, and also don’t contain lanolin or shea butter.

Martin de Candre
I Coloniali Mango oil soap and Rhubarb Softening cream (disc)
ABC Hard soap (disc) and cream
Acqua di Parma cream latest version
Savonnerie des Volcans (disc)
3P
Santa Maria Novella

Exceptions:
Stirling (tallow and lanolin in most of them)
Acca Kappa 1969 pre-reformulation (lanolin)
Valobra in all its incarnations (tallow)

So, I'm going to include a couple of the amazing Italian 'croaps' here, because really as harder creams they just act like soaps. My top 5 absolute best performing 'products' are...…..

1. Cella Extra Extra Bio - so far out in front its ridiculous.
2. TOBS Jermyn St (puck)
3. SMN
4. La Toja (stick) - cream is outstanding also!
5. Haslinger Aloe Vera

Tallow nowhere to be seen.

The non-veg soap I have is Fine Snake Bite, besides that only the MdC range of soaps. I dislike the post-shave feel of tallow soaps.

I havent tried too many soaps but I would say my favourite tallow soaps are firstly Declaration grooming milksteak and tied at second place are WK Siero and B & M Excelsior bases. I am still dialing them in though and getting more soaps to try so that may change.

I do like tallow soaps but I have one problem with them. Because of the high fat content in them I find they tend to clog my sink up. I have to run a snake thru my drain about every 2 years.
Now I try to use soaps that contain SLS (sodium laureth sulfate). It helps to improve the separation of and to prevent settling or clumping.

You might want to try this about once a month - put a generous squeeze of Dawn or equivalent dishwashing liquid in the drain, let it sit for an hour and then flush the drain by running just the hot water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might want to try this about once a month - put a generous squeeze of Dawn or equivalent dishwashing liquid in the drain, let it sit for an hour and then flush the drain by running just the hot water.

That would only clean the trap. I believe the problem is further down the pipes.

I use both tallow and vegan soaps, and I like both. I'm more interested in the smells and the quality of the lather than the chemical composition of the soaps, so as it smells nice and lathers nice it's fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
When I first started out here on B&B in 2013, everyone went on about how tallow was best and veggie was terrible. A lot of it was because of poorly made reformulations of soaps like Trumpers, Penhaligon’s, etc...

Then MdC got really popular, then artisans that made veggie soaps got more popular, and nowadays I think most people just realize that a soap is either good or it isn’t.

For what it’s worth, most of my top performers are actually veggie based. MdC, Saponificio Varesino, Sudsy Soapery, Nuavia... Lots of great tallow soaps too, but many of them perform so similarly that I just keep a couple around nowadays.

Top Bottom