What's new

Taking the plunge

Well I'm new to this whole fancy shaving thing. Been using cartridge and disposable razors with can cream all my life. I got into soap making a few months back, which led to making shaving soap. So I have the soap already made. After doing a fair amount of reading on this site as well as watching you tube videos, it seemed like good starter razors are the EJ89 and the Merkur 34C. I Ordered the EJ and a badger brush. Now I'm wondering if I should have ordered the 34C. Oh well, with my experience (zero) I'm sure I wouldn't notice a difference anyway. They should arrive tomorrow, so Wednesday morning will be my first attempt. Hopefully I don't end up in the ER requiring a blood transfusion. :001_smile

Welcome to B&B. I hope you enjoy the journey.

The EJ DE89 is a great razor (easily as good as the 34c) that will give you several years of good shaves. Just take your time with it and you will be fine. You can always purchase a 34c later on if you feel like you need a change. For now just focus on getting the best shave out of the equipment on hand.

Good luck!

As a precaution make sure you stay away from vintage razors. They carry diseases, you know.:laugh: Good luck and enjoy, if you have any questions the answers are here to be found.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. You don't need to have any buyer's remorse about anything from Edwin Jagger. It's all quality equipment.

Yeah, don't sweat it. I predict that within 2 months you will own about 4 razors.

I started with an Edwin Jagger DE861.

Welcome and Congrats!

Be warned that you are up for a learning curve and at first you may have some cuts and weepers.

Comes with the art you are trying to perfect and totally worth it to end up with a barbershop shave every day!

May I add that you should invest in a Styptic Pencil (CVS or Wallyworld) to seal said nicks and weepers and some Witch Hazel to apply (Wallgreens) right after your shave.

Welcome to B&B and DE shaving. You'll enjoy the ride

In regards to the DE89, it's a great razor. It was the 2nd razor I bought and I just pulled it out of storage this week to shave with again. Great shaving razor.

As a precaution make sure you stay away from vintage razors. They carry diseases, you know.:laugh: Good luck and enjoy, if you have any questions the answers are here to be found.

Yes, like RAD (Razor acquisition disorder) i cought it from a Futur, which lead to a EJ89 and others....

Welcome, and congrats on taking the plunge!

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure I'll be back with questions.

The only thing I would add is to buy a well known slick shave soap like Tabac to learn on and then move on to your home made soap. I love shaving with my own soap but I'm glad I didn't start out with it. Your razor purchase is a perfect choice, welcome to B&B, enjoy the journey!

Welcome aboard!! I can tell you that you'll quickly turn an old tedious task into a luxury that u can't wait to do over and over. I too have a DE89 - I like it a lot. Try other razors too - each offers its own unique flare which you'll come to enjoy as well. Good luck!

The only thing I would add is to buy a well known slick shave soap like Tabac to learn on and then move on to your home made soap. I love shaving with my own soap but I'm glad I didn't start out with it. Your razor purchase is a perfect choice, welcome to B&B, enjoy the journey!

+1
btw what brush did you buy @Gdawgs ?

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B. If you haven't already done so, take a look at read this thread.
Yep, I've spent quite a bit of time combing through that.

+1
btw what brush did you buy @Gdawgs ?
I got this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WR3QSG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I know it probably isn't the best choice, but looks like it should be good enough to get me going.

Good point on the soap. I used a recipe that everyone raves about, but it would be nice to have something to compare it to. I'll order some of that up too.

and they will each be more expensive that the previous one. ($15; $29; $68; $125) i hope i'm done!

there's always a plan B

Top Bottom