What's new

Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick - Scent Advice

Well...I'm officially down to my last Wilkinson Stick. Ever since getting one as a freebie in an order from someone on here like 15 years ago, it has been my favorite soap, especially the scent. I have almost a decade now of experience making shaving soap, but am hoping that someone can offer some advice on what they think the scent of that stick is. Its most certainly a fragrance oil rather than a blend of essential oils, but it would mean the world to me if I could come close to replicating the scent. My last stick is vacuum sealed and I just can't stomach opening her up.

Ohh, and I should add for those of you who have never had the sheer joy of lathering the stick, it's not even close to the awful smell that permeates the dreaded Wilkinson Bowl that they still make.

I always thought it was a kind of dirty, industrial lavender smell. Not so strong that it set off my fragrance allergies. I rather liked it!

I always thought it was a kind of dirty, industrial lavender smell. Not so strong that it set off my fragrance allergies. I rather liked it!
You might be on to something there. Perhaps a real faint lavender. I could swear there's some lemon in there as well.

You might be on to something there. Perhaps a real faint lavender. I could swear there's some lemon in there as well.

Yup, could be lemon too, I agree. Again though, it's faint. Lemon and lavender would be a good starting point though, maybe with some oakmoss or something just to give it a bit of depth, but that's probably going "off piste" a little!

Yup, could be lemon too, I agree. Again though, it's faint. Lemon and lavender would be a good starting point though, maybe with some oakmoss or something just to give it a bit of depth, but that's probably going "off piste" a little!
I like that thought! I'll see if I can whip something up

My nose senses some musk in the base notes of the scent of the little blue Wilky stick. I always enjoy this shave stick and am happy I have a couple spares. I seem to have a spare or two of a lot of soaps somehow

Ahh, interesting that it's different from the soap in the tub, I never had any experience with the stick and it's been at least 20 years since I tried the tub but I remember not being impressed with scent or performance. When I got back into wet shaving I tried Lea Classic cream and it immediately reminded me of the WS tub/puck, kind of a citrus/citronella and sandalwood scent, albeit with menthol, but yup still not a fan of the smell😆 Now I wish I had tried the stick!

Alpha-isomethyl ionone, Benzyl salicylate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool

Synthetic violet, citrus/citronella, rose, lavender. I am holding one under my nose right now and cannot really say I can identify any particular component. It is a floral synthetic (ok... industrial floral). It made me want to sneeze. Apart from that, this is the only reaction it provoked. I would describe it as a mishmash of synthetic scents.
The soap is OK, once you get the hang of it.
It is unfortunate that you like that much, since it is gone now. Although we can still talk about it, and about the recently gone tallow era.

Wilkinson Sword ss.jpg

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Mind you, apparently there is an explanation (scientific some would call it, and here is the corresponding emoji :001_rolle) for all this quirkiness

proxy.php

Oh well...

To my nose, this is an industrial "marine" type scent. If you took Coast bath soap, or an "ocean" body wash, and mixed it with an unscented shaving soap, you would not be too far off from the Wilkinson stick scent.

I am on my last stick now too. A great performer and I am sad to see it go the same way as the Palmolive stick. I always thought of it as a blue ‘marine’ type scent with a slight herby undertone. La Toja gives me a rash, and Arko is too drying, so the Lea stick is the only stick I can use now.

Top Bottom