What's new

Edwin Jagger Bulbous seems too aggressive for my neck?

Hello Everyone,

A few years ago I walked bast a nice DE razor set in a little shop. I told my wife "I'll know we've made it in life when I can afford a set like that". She surprised me with it for my next birthday. I love it and very thankful for it! Not sure it was the best to start with. I had not done any research at the time. I had just used a cheap walmart razor. The new razor looked beautiful and I loved the weight. However I would keep getting burn on my neck. I stopped using it. Every once and awhile I get in a kick and get back to using the DE. I just think the EJ might be too aggressive for my skin with my lack of technique. I have tried a few different blades. PB is the next on my list to get. Feather seems to get a good shave without having to do too many passes.
My routine is usually as follows

Shower
Lather my good soaps
Apply well to my face
Shave

I have learned recently thanks to a Razor Emporium video that my search for a BBS may be part of the issue and also grain mapped. Man does my neck hairs go different directions.

All of that to ask what mild Razor would be a good direction to go in. I obviously need to get more consistent with it as well. Just orderd some more Hub City Soap Aegyptus and WTX. I wish more FNL was available. I'm looking forward to making the full switch to DE from my electric that doesn't do as good of a job.

thx. Sorry for all of the drawn out stories!

The EJ is already considered a good mild razor for a beginner.

Grain mapping is definitely important - don't overlook the importance of grain mapping! Most folks can avoid razor burn on the neck by skipping an ATG pass and settling for a shave that is "close enough" - many of us have to do this.

You say you have had the razor for a while, but not how much actual shaving you have done with it. That's important. I am also going to link this page that I seem to link a lot recently, just because it contains a lot of useful information in one place: About Razor Blade Angle FAQ's - https://www.emsplace.com/shave-info/shaving-information/blade-angle.htm

I would keep persevering with the EJ, but if you want another mild razor just to test the water, a pre-war Gillette Tech is probably the benchmark by which all other mild razors are judged.

The EJ is already considered a good mild razor for a beginner.

Grain mapping is definitely important - don't overlook the importance of grain mapping! Most folks can avoid razor burn on the neck by skipping an ATG pass and settling for a shave that is "close enough" - many of us have to do this.

You say you have had the razor for a while, but not how much actual shaving you have done with it. That's important. I am also going to link this page that I seem to link a lot recently, just because it contains a lot of useful information in one place: About Razor Blade Angle FAQ's - https://www.emsplace.com/shave-info/shaving-information/blade-angle.htm

I would keep persevering with the EJ, but if you want another mild razor just to test the water, a pre-war Gillette Tech is probably the benchmark by which all other mild razors are judged.
Thanks! The grain mapping will be a game changer as well. I had been going straight down on my neck which come to find out is ATG… so that should help. I will check out the angles as well! I think that and settling for close enough will make a world of difference. I just thought mild razors had the closed bar.

My first razor was the EJ--they all have the same head, only the handle is different. I used electric razors and cartridge razors for a good 25 years before buying the EJ. I'd read it was mild and good for a beginner. But I was regularly a bloody mess by the end--I'd shave off a mole on my lip and have weepers all over my neck. It was a horror movie!

Like you, I'd put it away for a while but the itch would strike and I'd pull it out again. It took me a full year of using it on and off. I thought I'd been using zero pressure, but it's shocking how lifelong cartridge use really teaches you to use a lot of pressure. Electrics teach the same thing. The one advice someone gave me that worked was "use negative pressure--like you feel like you're holding the blade up and not even letting the weight of the razor press on your skin." It took some persistence and it felt really weird for a while, but it finally clicked and I fell in love with the DE razor and the shaves I started getting that were closer and more comfortable than cartridges (and no longer bloody/razor burny).

Good luck--it takes time and persistence to learn technique but it can be done!

My first razor was the EJ--they all have the same head, only the handle is different.
Not quite - the EJ 3one6 has a different head and only costs slightly more than their Bulbous (if you shop around) and the upgrade is well worth it as you get a tech style head made by CMG Technologies in Suffolk using marine grade stainless steel from Sheffield. Again a selection of handles available but having tried a few their knurled stainless steel is my favourite.
The chrome DE89 style head on the Bulbous is OK but IMHO there are better razors. Problem is if it was a gift from a partner then it might be frowned upon to start buying more razors to find ones that are nicer or better suited. Still maybe they will be pleased it started a new hobby... until they see how much is being spent each month on razors!

Thanks everyone! I let it grow out until today so I could do a good grain map! Also I saw on a razor emporium video not to just pick an angle I thought was right but put the head flat and roll down. Those two things made a huge difference!

I appreciate the help!

My first razor was the EJ--they all have the same head, only the handle is different. I used electric razors and cartridge razors for a good 25 years before buying the EJ. I'd read it was mild and good for a beginner. But I was regularly a bloody mess by the end--I'd shave off a mole on my lip and have weepers all over my neck. It was a horror movie!

Like you, I'd put it away for a while but the itch would strike and I'd pull it out again. It took me a full year of using it on and off. I thought I'd been using zero pressure, but it's shocking how lifelong cartridge use really teaches you to use a lot of pressure. Electrics teach the same thing. The one advice someone gave me that worked was "use negative pressure--like you feel like you're holding the blade up and not even letting the weight of the razor press on your skin." It took some persistence and it felt really weird for a while, but it finally clicked and I fell in love with the DE razor and the shaves I started getting that were closer and more comfortable than cartridges (and no longer bloody/razor burny).

Good luck--it takes time and persistence to learn technique but it can be done!
Yup. And in my head i thought it took longer to wet shave than it really does! I have 18mo twins so I used that as an excuse. But now that I have it figured out today I’m much happier!

I’m sad I put it away for as long as I did. I reused an old sample and the wife and I love it. Unfortunately he’s not restocking anything and that scents out of stock. But I was able to grab that splash and another tub of my favorite scent from him!

Yup. And in my head i thought it took longer to wet shave than it really does! I have 18mo twins so I used that as an excuse. But now that I have it figured out today I’m much happier!

I’m sad I put it away for as long as I did. I reused an old sample and the wife and I love it. Unfortunately he’s not restocking anything and that scents out of stock. But I was able to grab that splash and another tub of my favorite scent from him!
Twins are an adventure, mine are in second grade now, and I will be starting to try to learn DE shaving starting this Christmas, so definitely looking at all the advice here on technique

Top Bottom