What's new

T&H Overrated for the price?

+1 Agree 100%. My two T&H favorites are Apsley & Trafalgar. I have no issue with the price. They are worth it IMO.
Just got a tub of AoS Lemon. Also really good cream. Can't wait to use my AoS sandalwood come Sept. Just used a sample of AoS Ocean Kelp and Trumper's GFT I was sent. Could not believe the lather produced from a small dopple of either cream. So, AoS & Trumper's GFT are also on my "worth the price" list.
Someone mentioned CF. I think the CF Lime is worth the price. For me, not so much the other CF creams.
Mikey
I use the castle Forbes lime aftershave balm quit a bit and it's fantastic. Leaves the face a little greasy but nothing to crazy.

T&H Ultimate Comfort is an excellent cream. In terms of value/$, other better bargains exist, but for flat out cream performance, UC is top-tier.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have been using mostly soaps lately, but I find Ultimate Comfort to be considerably better than the other creams in the mid-priced category. I believe you'll find it requires less product than most of the cheaper creams.

I don't think T&H creams are overrated. I think they are overpriced compared to their competition in their class of product.

For the last six months I've been rotating between T&H 1805 ($30), T&H West Islands Lime ($30), TOBS Eton College ($15), TOBS Sandalwood ($15), and Trumpers Lime ($22). All prices are for a tub. The scents of each of these are very good. I think each of them are identical in slickness and skin protection during the shave. So to me, that makes T&H overpriced relative to TOBS and Trumpers, and makes Trumpers overpriced relative to TOBS. So when the tubs of T&H and Trumpers are done, I'll be staying with TOBS only.

It's nit-picky, but T&H have slightly more product than TOBS. In any case, I wouldn't be without T&H Grafton, but if I average that in with all the other inexpensive creams I pick up in Eastern Europe, it's not that much.

I think the T&H 1805 is one of the best creams I've tried ever. I prefer it's performance over any of the AOS varirties...which imo significantly diminished in performance a couple of years ago when they were reformulated. I like their other English scents as well...but find the 1805 most appealing. On a per shave basis, I don't feel it's overpriced at all. My only issue is that there is inconsistent performance among the varieties. For example, I don't find their West Indian Lime to be nearly as slick, cushioning and moisturizing as their other products. Note...their 1805 balm is amazing.

For me, T&H Ultimate Comfort is the best cream out there. It doesn't take that much product to get some great, protective lather.

T&H make sample packs, creams, fragrances, or both.

Cheers, Steve

+1 Agree with the samples great way to try the creams and pick the ones you like. My personal favorite T&H cream is Apsley, next is Trafalgar.
Mikey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm three shaves or so into a tub of 1805. Still trying to figure out the ideal quantity of cream. I think I have been skimping a little. The scent is one of my favorites. The lather quality is very good, but I prefer some of the denser, lanolin based creams. I got mine on sale, so I am happy about the price. I don't think I would pay retail for it as a daily cream.

For some of us, overpriced soap
/cream is no object if our face comes out smooth with no irritation. I really enjoy Castle Forbes lime. It's expensive but it works for me consistently. It also lasts for freaking ever. If it works for you keep using it. If not then you know what to do.

And in all honesty, aren't most of these creams/soaps playing to enthusiasts any more? The average Joe grabs caned goo and thinks nothing of it. If I shave with premo soaps it's because I enjoy it.

For some of us, overpriced soap
/cream is no object if our face comes out smooth with no irritation. I really enjoy Castle Forbes lime. It's expensive but it works for me consistently. It also lasts for freaking ever. If it works for you keep using it. If not then you know what to do.

And in all honesty, aren't most of these creams/soaps playing to enthusiasts any more? The average Joe grabs caned goo and thinks nothing of it. If I shave with premo soaps it's because I enjoy it.
+1 .. well said!

I don't think any cream that costs a lot is not really "worth it" for pure performance. I get some expensive creams that I like the scent of, but would never settle for a scent just because I thought the performance was great. I just don't see that much of a performance difference between mid priced and expensive creams performance. Definitely not in the ranges of the factor of prices. I even rate very inexpensive creams up there performance wise most times. Scent is what I'm paying for usually. I guess if you want it, and are willing to pay for it, it's worth it in that aspect as is most purchases in this hobby.

I have tried most of the top creams, but T&H IMHO blows them all away! 1805 has a scent that might be the finest for a cream and Grafton is as slick as anything. Trafalgar is just lovely and fresh and the 'bargain' line of #10 is a winner at that price-point. I would gladly purchase any of these at the prevailing store prices as I think they represent about as good you will get in this product category.

I really like the 1805 and find their line of products to exceptional. I use the top premium creams and they are probably one of the best for performance.

The T&H No 10 cream is available here in the UK for £10 - Shave Lounge (free UK delivery). Imo it's the best value cream on the market. Great scent, cushion and post shave feel. So little product needed for 3 pass quantity of lather. 200ml tub too.

Top Bottom