What's new

T&H Overrated for the price?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Life's too short to shave with bad shaving cream.

I think that most of us here like to try for the best shaving experience, the best performing product we can get without paying "silly money". (And yes, I'd put scent in the 'performance' category ... lots of subcategories in 'performance': slickness, cushion, ease of lathering, scent, longevity of lather, &c. We each focus on the ones we find most important to us.)

If I found a T&H cream that totally rocked for me, I'd have no problem making that my regular "go-to" and not bat an eye at the price. If, however, I preferred a TOBS cream, I'd be all over that one, extra-glad to have saved a couple bucks over the T&H.

I used to get tubes of Florena at local stores for ... well, they were dirt cheap. The scent was a bit of an acquired taste, but the lather was wonderful so I considered it a hidden gem. Then it got discontinued. *sigh*. The point is, I was thrilled to get a great shave and pay less per shave doing it. But big picture, the cost-per-shave works out to 'dirt cheap' for just about any shave product. And really, if we wanted to focus on keeping the cost-per-shave down really low, we'd all be using soaps instead of creams anyhow.

I used to get tubes of Florena at local stores for ... well, they were dirt cheap. The scent was a bit of an acquired taste, but the lather was wonderful so I considered it a hidden gem. Then it got discontinued. *sigh*.

I just recently saw Florena on the shelf of supermarket in Europe... there might still be a way for you to order from somewhere. If I remember correctly it was around 1.5Euros.

Also, I'm curious what do you find about TOBS that's better than T&H?
I personally like both, T&H being my favorite, but would like to hear what makes TOBS better for you other than perhaps "value for the money".

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I just recently saw Florena on the shelf of supermarket in Europe... there might still be a way for you to order from somewhere. If I remember correctly it was around 1.5Euros.

Thanks ... I did stock up a bit when it went off the shelves here, and I have more than enough other soaps and creams so have no need of buying more of just about anything. But I'm glad to know it is still around somewhere.

Also, I'm curious what do you find about TOBS that's better than T&H?
I personally like both, T&H being my favorite, but would like to hear what makes TOBS better for you other than perhaps "value for the money".

I don't really have a preference between the two.

I posted in another thread that I wasn't a fan of the No. 10 because of the scent and the reduced amount of cushion compared to the 1805 and Limes, more expensive creams. Now that the weather has cooled, I actually liked the evergreen-like scent when I used it this morning. The amount of cushion is still inferior to the 1805 and Limes, IMHO.

I kind of think we are beating a dead horse at this point. I use the Apsley, Trafalgar, Rose and in my opinion they are not overpriced, But YMMV.
Mikey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I did go through a tub of the Ultimate Comfort some years back (I think shortly after the introduction) - really great product in terms of performance, cushion, etc. I'm not such a big fan of the Lavender scents though, so I moved on and haven't really tried much else in their line.

Honestly, I don't see any difference performance wise between creams from Taylor of Old Bond Street, D.R. Harris, Geo F. Trumper or Truefitt & Hill.
They are all equally awesome.

To me it all comes down to their scents.
Some I like, some I don't.

I don't think Truefitt & Hill is overrated for the price.
But Taylor of Old Bond Street does give the most bang for your buck.

Honestly, I don't see any difference performance wise between creams from Taylor of Old Bond Street, D.R. Harris, Geo F. Trumper or Truefitt & Hill.
They are all equally awesome.

To me it all comes down to their scents.
Some I like, some I don't.

I don't think Truefitt & Hill is overrated for the price.
But Taylor of Old Bond Street does give the most bang for your buck.
See I’m of the belief that Musgo Real if you find it for $12 bucks gives you best bang personally. Or T&H no.10 .

T&H is made Creightons who also make RS products.

If you want T&H results at value pricing, seek out RS.

About | The Real Shaving Company

The scent won't WOW you but the performance will

proxy.php

Last edited:
I picked up a T&H sampler and tried the Sandalwood against TOBS Sandalwood, and I much prefer TOBS - slicker, better face feel and protection, and more moisturizing. That being said, I do love the scent of the T&H Sandalwood - I wish the aftershave wasn't so drying either. I'm looking forward to trying the other T&H samples (because, as others here have said, their products don't seem to perform consistently), but of course YMMV with anything. I'm talking about all that in my shave journal, if anyone's interested (shameless self-plug!)

Btw, made by the same manufacturer doesn’t mean it’s the same product

When I compared RS to 1805, Trafalgar, and Grafton, I could not perceive any difference in how they all lathered and felt. The only difference I could ascertain was than scent.

But that is me, YMMV when you make the comparison.

Grafton tops my list as far as creams in both performance and scent.

proxy.php

@turtle Grafton is my favorite scent at this moment. I think it's awesome.
Taylor of Old Bond Street's Mr. Taylors has the exactly the same scent, in my experience. Just a bit more "pronounced" (I believe the word is?)

T&H is made Creightons who also make RS products.

If you want T&H results at value pricing, seek out RS.

About | The Real Shaving Company

The scent won't WOW you but the performance will

proxy.php
I’ve tried both. Not even a contest....My T&H 1805 blows RS away on every criteria except price. Just because they’re made by the same manufacturer DOES NOT in any way mean they are the same product or product formulation. IMO...they’re not...but...YMMV...Only you can be the judge of that. After MANY cream and soap trials the 1805 remains in my top 5 list and is always a part of my rotation. Oddly, T&H LIMES does not perform nearly as well for me as 1805...Must be a different formulation..

I’ve tried both. Not even a contest....My T&H 1805 blows RS away on every criteria except price. Just because they’re made by the same manufacturer DOES NOT in any way mean they are the same product or product formulation. IMO...they’re not...but...YMMV...Only you can be the judge of that. After MANY cream and soap trials the 1805 remains in my top 5 list and is always a part of my rotation.

Same here, 1805 seems to be there to stay for me (and I have too tried RS, not comparable at all IMHO)

@slateshalehead I have to disagree, though that's what forums are for right, YMMV I guess is applicable here.
I also absolutely love TOBS, great creams, fantastic value for the money, but don't feel it's quite in the same league performance wise as T&H is. For me it's T&H, Trumper's then TOBS in terms of performance (funny, pricing kinda works out in that order too I think). :D

@Bbb34 Always glad to hear another perspective! I'm hoping that my experience with the Sandalwood was a fluke, because I really do think that T&H have a slightly better scent profile generally (although not as many options admittedly). I have yet to try Trumper's, so I'll have to reserve judgment on that front!

Top Bottom