What's new

T&H Overrated for the price?

Do I dare be the one to say it that I think T&H is an overrated cream? I mean, their scents are really second to none, but in terms of post shave feel and protection of irritation on my sensitive skin, does anyone else find their cream to be a bit over hyped? I do think that their T&H No. 10 is perhaps top three in my rotation.However, for $30 a tub, I feel like I can get cheaper options that have lanolin in it and are far more protective. Perhaps I just like lanolin based creams over glycerin?I know YMMV and I am opening up a can of worms, but in my year or so of wet shaving and trying a bunch of different creams, I keep going for T&H No.10 and Musgo Real over other options. I want to know if I am the only one who may think so?

I've always had good experiences. But, in my experience nothing can live up to excessive hype. It's still just shaving cream.

I think a similar phenomenon exists for TAOS. That's a great shaving cream, but after all the marketing and hype, I'm disappointed with the cream doesn't jump out of the tub and shave my face for me.

First post!!!

I've always had good experiences. But, in my experience nothing can live up to excessive hype. It's still just shaving cream.

I think a similar phenomenon exists for TAOS. That's a great shaving cream, but after all the marketing and hype, I'm disappointed with the cream doesn't jump out of the tub and shave my face for me.

First post!!!
I just think they are so well regarded T&H and AOS , but I really didn't find either to be as good as the cheaper options I had listed. Again, YMMV as I know AOS Sandalwood scent wise is one of my absolute favorites , and T&H 1805 is my favorite overall scent, but Musgo is $11. I guess more expensive isn't always better when it comes to the protection I need for my skin.

I like T&H cream in particular the ultimate comfort and n.10 for different reasons.

N10 is a good performer at a silly price with a simple scent.
UC is just one of the top performing cream i have ever used along with simpsons creams.

With current $ to USD change you should be buying direct from the uk.

Price and value is a very personal matter though. (Note i live in the uk where a tub cost 16£ so under 20$ at the current exchange rate)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overrated, depends who you ask I guess. I personally I feel it's worth the money.

Recently I gave friend of mine some cream samples to do blind testing on them. They ranged from $8 to $60 per tub. I only numbered the containers and gave him few weeks to give me his impression, just for fun.

Few things came out of this fun experiment:
  • His rating was identical to mine, what are the chances right?
  • The most expensive cream didn't really get great review by either one of us.
  • The least expensive one was very well liked by both of us.
T&H came on the top, and his review was something like "not even a contest, this one is so far ahead in every aspect".

You can find less expensive cream that's just as good or better, that'll be the case for just about any product out there, but T&H is in my opinion superb cream, well worth the price.

Cost per tub is one metric, but what is important (if you are considering value) is cost per shave. I haven't used shaving cream regularly in a number of years because I shave with soap, but I always found T&H to be good value because I needed to use so little cream to make a great lather.

I almost hate to admit how much I like the T&H creams, and I'm really a tallow based soap guy. For me, it's mostly for the scents, but I also found them to be very slick and have great cushion. I have "slightly" sensitive skin, and I can just barely get away with using them. I'm pretty sure it's the fragrance, but I can feel a slight burn anytime I use one.

I don't think of them as being over rated myself, but they're probably not the best value either. I look at them more as an indulgent/special occasion type cream, but I can't seem to go more than 3-4 shaves without picking up my jar of T&H sandalwood and matching A/S lol

I have not tried the T&H cream, but I have their Luxury soap.
Not too good, just average in my opinion.
for a 57 gram puck, $12½ is too much for an average soap.

I agree with those saying T&H isn't over rated, but also may not be the best value cream out there if all you want is a nice shave. I've tried a lot of creams over the past few years, and keep coming back to T&H as my overall favorite for best combination of scents and performance.

I know you're a big fan of the avocado. It's on my list . Are you still enjoying the Musgo?
Yes I still love it but haven't been using it much this summer as I have been using Proraso Green, TOBS Peppermint and AOS Peppermint for that Menthol cooling effect.

I was given enough AOS sandalwood for a couple of shaves and it's very nice but $15 soap tops. It's priced twice it's worth because they have to pay for their spot between Williams Sonoma and foot locker therefore I'd never buy it. When I have stopped i got the 20 something who hadn't a clue.

Yes I still love it but haven't been using it much this summer as I have been using Proraso Green, TOBS Peppermint and AOS Peppermint for that Menthol cooling effect.
TOBS peppermint paired with Stirling glacial spearmint AS will literally give you goosebumps. When I really wanna kick it up I use mentha body wash and my wife's Aveda shampoo. Dang I totally sound like a chick.

Overrated, depends who you ask I guess. I personally I feel it's worth the money.

Recently I gave friend of mine some cream samples to do blind testing on them. They ranged from $8 to $60 per tub. I only numbered the containers and gave him few weeks to give me his impression, just for fun.

Few things came out of this fun experiment:
  • His rating was identical to mine, what are the chances right?
  • The most expensive cream didn't really get great review by either one of us.
  • The least expensive one was very well liked by both of us.
T&H came on the top, and his review was something like "not even a contest, this one is so far ahead in every aspect".

You can find less expensive cream that's just as good or better, that'll be the case for just about any product out there, but T&H is in my opinion superb cream, well worth the price.
+1 Agree 100%. My two T&H favorites are Apsley & Trafalgar. I have no issue with the price. They are worth it IMO.
Just got a tub of AoS Lemon. Also really good cream. Can't wait to use my AoS sandalwood come Sept. Just used a sample of AoS Ocean Kelp and Trumper's GFT I was sent. Could not believe the lather produced from a small dopple of either cream. So, AoS & Trumper's GFT are also on my "worth the price" list.
Someone mentioned CF. I think the CF Lime is worth the price. For me, not so much the other CF creams.
Mikey

I have not tried the T&H cream, but I have their Luxury soap.
Not too good, just average in my opinion.
for a 57 gram puck, $12½ is too much for an average soap.

Their soap is bad imho. Only dr harris does a decent soap among the major british cream producers. ( T&H, dr harris, trumpers and TOBS )

That s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the T&H creams I've tried. I always try to keep 1805 on hand, and its certainly one of my favorites overall, creams or soaps. Their balms are excellent in my opinion as well. I would agree that most of the English soaps, with the exception of DR Harris, are not good. If you want something a bit less in costs, get a tub of TOBS. Great performance, great scents, at half price.

Top Bottom