Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
SV Saturday
IMG_20230408_132006.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6C R6
Blade: Personna Platinum(2)
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
Soap: SV Opuntia

Tonight I changed to the Rockwell 6C and used my favourite plate, the R6. I find the only useful plates for me on the Rockwell are the R5 and R6, I never use any of the other plates. I also find it a bit head heavy and the head is also a bit bulky particularly for shaving under the nose. As it is SV Saturday my soap for tonight was SV Opuntia lathered with the Yaqi Purple Haze.
The larger gap of the Rockwell was more suitable for the Polsilver blade and gave an excellent irritation free shave that ended in a BBS so the Personna is going to have a difficult job tomorrow.

SOTD APRIL 8
April 2023 GRUME
SV Saturday
Semogue Saturdays

Hello friends

This Saturday started strange by our standards. Cloudy, no sun...

After 3 days without shaving, I decided to be happy: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary, Perma Sharp (1), Semogue SOC Boar and Ach Brito Atlântico, which combined beautifully with the SV 70th, especially for its aquatic aromas. Green Cult 2.0 was stupendous.

To accompany I invited Johnny Hartman.

Have a nice weekend and great shaves.
Cheers!
❤️🪒

F2D78334-755C-4628-AD68-72C7FF843C57.jpeg
34C8CB06-3E15-4234-A583-B2A4643E6AF2.jpeg

SOTD APRIL 15
April 2023 GRUME
SV Saturday

Hello friends

Saturday dawned overcast. I thought it would be the perfect time for an SV Desert Vetiver shave and debuting the Green Cult 2.0 base plate IV that arrived yesterday. I took it easy, as I knew that a Gap of 1.05mm and an Exposure of 0.20mm would be aggressive. As I'm a fan of the R41 and prefer to use it riding the cap, I soon realized that with GC 2.0 this would not be the best way. I intuitively tried to find the right angle, until I adapted very well to the steep angle and started riding the bar.

What a shave!
Very efficient without being too aggressive. I loved. I think that in the next few attempts, more sure of myself, I will easily arrive at a splendid BBS.
To go with it, the old and always good Omega 48 Pro that I soaked overnight, a new Astra SP and Malizia Uomo.

On this trip I invited the great The Nat King Cole Trio.

Rating: 9

Cheers!
❤️🪒

6ED29A33-5604-4436-8625-5C7EBFB38390.jpeg

7141D0DC-DA4E-41EF-AC9D-3C44AAFE2CEF.jpeg

Semogue/SV Saturdays!

PXL_20230401_134453422.jpg

Schick Krona with Astra SS blade, SV Manna Di Sicilia and Semogue 830

Good Day Gents
The weather forecast was for rain today so I mowed the yard early. Four hours later...still no sign of rain.
I really enjoyed the shave this afternoon. The boar brush holds so much water, I just load the brush with soap and face lather kinda thick. I hope to have time to go play with my new toy. I recently got a good deal on a relatively inexpensive drone. I have flown it once but want to try again.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20230414_131849.jpg

Razor: Parker 26C
Blade: Personna Platinum(5)
Brush: Yaqi Evil Zebra
Soap: SV Desert Vetiver

Tonight for SV Saturday I used Desert Vetiver and lathered with the Evil Zebra once again. The Zebra just loves SV and though I generally go for 24mm and smaller synthetics the 26mm Zebra is the exception and though it is not the softest of brushes it doesn't fling lather around like the T3. If I am going to pare down the brush collection it is definitely a keeper.
The 26C was up once again and provided a very comfortable shave and though not a BBS (though an open comb the 26C is not a particularly aggressive razor) it was definitely closer than the Polsilver and left no AS sting so this round has to go to the Personna Platinum making it 3-2 to the Polsilver.

SV Saturday 15th April

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Nacet #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

After a week of random soaps, it's time for a week of SV, and 70th Anniversary is next in rotation.

Returned to the Game Changer, and loaded up a fresh Nacet.

The Rockwell put up a good fight, but the agile Game Changer plus aluminium handle is still the winner. Got a comfortable near-BBS, and an irritation-free post-shave.

SOTD APRIL 22
April 2023 GRUME
SV Saturday
Semogue Saturdays

Hello friends

I woke up looking forward to shaving. Saturday dawned sunny but temperate. I decided on a Vetiver-scented shave; SV Desert Vetiver and Malizia Uomo. I was accompanied on this magnificent journey by my new best friend, Green Cult 2.0, today in its hardcore version: baseplate IV, with Gillette Nacet (3) and the wonderful Semogue SOC Boar. For the fairy-tale finishing, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EdT.

Today's special guest was the great Gene Ammons, playing his amazing version of My Romance.

Rating: 9,5

Cheers!
❤️🪒

5C28ECE1-6CDB-4BB0-829F-3E3BB1A8CABB.jpeg
0EDDCC9F-2513-474A-9DC0-2D087A1D9581.jpeg

Semogue/SV Saturdays!

PXL_20230401_134453422.jpg

Schick Krona with Astra SS blade, SV Manna Di Sicilia and Semogue 830
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE & 365 Shaves

The soap, brush and razor are excellent...the blade was a little rough on the 1st pass but smooth sailing, shaving after that. It was a DFS+ way to start the weekend.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Todays vintage razor shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.

Razor: Gillette New short comb

Blade: Permasharp. 4 and done
Soap/cream: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Brush: Simpsons Super badger G3 Eagle
Balm: Nivea sensitive cooling post shave balm

Aftershave: Pitralon Polar

BBS

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20230422_140158.jpg

Razor: RR Lupo 95SB with Muhle R89 rose gold handle
Blade: Polsilver(9)
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T3
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary

Tonight for SV Saturday it was the turn of 70th Anniversary, my favourite lathered with the T3. Although the T3 is a little springy and can fling the lather about it is still a good brush to use and the large knot holds plenty of soap.
I fitted the Polsilver into the Lupo 95 and fitted that to my rose gold R89 handle and I have to admit it looks stunning. The performance was the best part, as with the R41 handle the shave was excellent, the Lupo really benefits from a light handle, it has much more balance and control and delivers an impressive shave. Tonight it wasn't a BBS though, only a DFS+ I think the Polsilver may be slowing down after 9 shaves, just as the Personna Platinum is hitting it's stride.

SOTD APRIL 29
April 2023 GRUME
SV Saturday

Hello friends

Saturday is beautiful around here. So I plucked up courage and got bold: Green Cult 2.0 baseplate IV to tackle my three-day stubble. What a shave! I arrived easily on a BBS with three passes, without any cuts or injuries. I didn't use alum, but I finished it off with the wonderful Floïd Genuine, without feeling any burning sensation.
The soap was Saponificio Varesino Desesrt Vetiver, lathered by the great (literally) Omega 48 Pro. The Perma-Sharp blade (4) was efficient and smooth as ever.

On this fantastic journey, my old friend Johnny Hartman.

I'm laughing for nothing, my friends.

Rating: 10

❤️🪒

73B84DA3-D6EA-44AD-BF83-B1E63842C7BD.jpeg
IMG_8146.jpeg

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20230429_124755.jpg

Razor: Lupo 95 SB with R41 handle
Blade: Personna Platinum(14)
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
Soap: SV Opuntia

Tonight for SV Saturday I went for the citrusy scent of Opuntia lathered with the Purple Haze it makes one of the best combinations there is. Everything about the lather just makes me happy, I love Saturdays! I am continuing with the Lupo using the lighter R41 handle until my thin bar handle arrives. I'm hoping that will sort out any remaining handling problems.
The shave was excellent once again with the 14th use Personna Platinum proving why it is king in my den. A smooth, irritation free shave that left me with a near BBS and no complaints.

What smell do you guys recommend for someone new to SV?

That's very hard to say, without knowing your preferences.

None of the three SV soaps I have tried (SV70, then Opuntia and Cubebe) are heavy-handed with their scents, and that's OK. If someone can tell what you used by its scent, then it's too much.

I have not bought their aftershaves.

I was attracted to SV by reading a lot of reports of excellent shaving functionality, and few of skin irritation, and took a bet on 70th Anniversary a couple of years ago.

Mitchell's Wool Fat also worked out OK for me. Only available in one clean fresh scent, though.

I've only tried 70th Anniversary and Desert Vetiver and I really like both. The first with aquatic aroma is great for summer and the second is more suitable for winter. I would love to try Manna di Sicilia.

I think I would like Desert Vetiver, years ago I liked the scent of vetiver oil.

Last edited:
Top Bottom