Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
SV Saturday
IMG_20230304_150310.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette Platinum(3)
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T3
Soap: SV Desert Vetiver

Tonight for SV Saturday I chose Desert Vetiver, now usually I choose my gear in the morning and take my photo to post here, occasionally I will photograph it at night. Today I chose the Desert Vetiver, but by this evening I really would have liked the Opuntia, I just couldn't be bothered to take another photo tonight because it was so late so I stuck with my original choice.
The Lupo combined with the Platinum blade is actually very good and left me with a BBS, I suspect that I could probably use them quite happily together. The Lupo is turning out to be a great shaver and I am even getting used to the over heavy handle.

Mike M

SV Saturday
View attachment 1615930
Blade: Gillette Platinum(3)
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T3

Tonight for SV Saturday I chose Desert Vetiver, now usually I choose my gear in the morning and take my photo to post here, occasionally I will photograph it at night. Today I chose the Desert Vetiver, but by this evening I really would have liked the Opuntia, I just couldn't be bothered to take another photo tonight because it was so late so I stuck with my original choice.
The Lupo combined with the Platinum blade is actually very good and left me with a BBS, I suspect that I could probably use them quite happily together. The Lupo is turning out to be a great shaver and I am even getting used to the over heavy handle.
Sorry for the description snafu, I used the Lupo 95 tonight

SOTD March 11th
GRUME March
SV Saturday
Semogue Saturdays

Hello friends,

Today the day dawned colder around here, 19°C to 24°C in few minutes…which for our summer is a beautiful fresh morning, suitable for a stronger aroma.
My 4 day old beard was completely removed for a BBS that only R41 can give me. The SV Desert Vetiver has such a combination of aromas that it encouraged me to go to Guerlain Vetiver EDT after the Malizia AS which despite beind very light, I like a lot. SOC Boar and Gillette Nacet (4) beautifully completed the shave.

Along with me, my old friends from The Modern Jazz Quartet on the sublime classic Django.

Have a nice weekend and great shave!
❤️ 🪒

6AD1AA3C-089E-4B5A-A5C8-1AA9B7EAA836.jpeg

A4880D9A-6199-4181-9A3B-58A116776394.jpeg

Semogue and SV Saturdays!
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE and 365 Shaves

PXL_20230310_232327579.MP.jpeg

Merkur 34C loaded with Muhle Rasurkultur (13), Semogue 830 and SV 70th-Beta 4.1

I would guess a lot of guys get the Merkur 34 shortly after lurking around on B&B and in the developmental stage of a RAD frenzy. I didn't get mine till late last year. I don't use it often but during today's shave I liked it's smooth, mild and efficient design. I don't see much talk about the Muhle Rasurkultur blade but it continues to be smooth and efficient two weeks on the job. Maybe @Ckmaui has some comparative comments about the blade.
If I had to keep just one Semogue brush, it would be the 830. It is taking time to develop a good relationship with SV soaps. Today on the second pass, I added more soap to the lather and eureka!, I began to realize the subtle properties of this product. And so it goes, with continued practice and time, an ordinary chore can evolve into an enjoyable experience.
Tomorrow is Synthetic Sundays!!!

Please take care of yourself and each other.

SV Saturday 11th March

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

I'm still using one soap per week, but this is an SV one, and very enjoyable too.

Only needed a basic shave, but made a good bowl-lather, and had plenty of time to use it. Got an excellent near-BBS.

I managed to hole the SV70 (started October 2021), but there's still a lot left.

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20230311_152257.jpg

Razor: RR Lupo 95
Blade: Gillette Platinum(10)
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
Soap: SV Opuntia

Sorry but last night's shave was labelled number 70 instead of number 69 so tonight's shave is definitely number 70. For SV Saturday I got out the Opuntia I should have used last week, great scent. As usual with SV the shave was fantastic, but with a not quite BBS result I think this blade may be losing its edge after only 10 shaves though that may be down to using it in the aggressive Lupo

As usual with SV the shave was fantastic, but with a not quite BBS result I think this blade may be losing its edge after only 10 shaves though that may be down to using it in the aggressive Lupo

Hey Mike,

How many shaves are you more typically seeing with Gillette Platinums? I'm on shave six with my current GP blade and I'm taking this one till it starts to tug, just to see how long that takes. In the past I've usually tossed them around five or six uses. But now I feeling like I'm leaving some shaves on the table, so to speak :)

Mike M

Hey Mike,

How many shaves are you more typically seeing with Gillette Platinums? I'm on shave six with my current GP blade and I'm taking this one till it starts to tug, just to see how long that takes. In the past I've usually tossed them around five or six uses. But now I feeling like I'm leaving some shaves on the table, so to speak :)
Tonight I managed a BBS with a Platinum on its 12th use, previously I have managed over 20 shaves with a Platinum. Normally to prolong the life of a blade I use a progression of razors from mild to aggressive. So I was a bit worried that using an aggressive razor from the 3rd shave would lead to a premature dulling of the blade but after this BBS I am not so worried.

SV/Semogue Saturday
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE & 365 Shaves

PXL_20230318_034759028.jpeg

Timeless Ti .68 with Muhle Rasurkultur (18), SV Manna Di Sicilia and Semogue SOC

Again, another good quartet to start the weekend. I really like the light weight of the Timeless razor. It was a DFS+ way to start the weekend.

Here is some good music I listened to last night-
1679147147810.png

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20230318_153117.jpg

Blade: Big Ben (2)
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary

Tonight for SV Saturday 70th Anniversary was up and I decided to lather it with the Kosmo, easily my favourite lathering combination, though MdC comes a very close second. Because it was Saturday and I felt like a treat I decided on the Rocca to combine with the Big Ben blade on its second use. The lather was excellent and the shave was an absolute dream, the Big Ben is performing better than I thought and the more aggressive Rocca gave a closer shave than the R89 last night and I ended up with a BBS with no need for any touch-up passes.

SV Saturday 18th March

Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Wizamet SI #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

This is an SV week for me again, but it included an SV Saturday.

Got a fine bowl-lather from the SV, and plenty of time to use it. Had an excellent near-BBS shave.

SOTD March 25th
GRUME-30/31er
SV Saturday
Semogue Saturdays

Hello friends,

Beautiful autumnal Saturday morning. Perfect to finish off a 3-day beard. In that sense, nothing better than get my tub of Saponificio Varesino and call the Fantastic Four: Merkur, Gillette, Semogue and Williams. What a team!
Aqua Velva Ice Blue paired surprisingly well with the aquatic aromas of the SV 70th Anniversary. Progress (5/4/3) was perfect with Nacet (2) and SOC Mistura my friends, it is an indescribable brush…

To accompany me on this journey towards Paradise, I invited my old friend Dexter.

Have a nice weekend and great shaves!
❤️ 🪒

DDA2D38C-536A-4A59-9687-F41AC833D673.jpeg

1E0F64B0-2E11-4D3E-AD43-829AB3805717.jpeg

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20230325_150840.jpg

Razor: RR Lupo 95
Blade: Big Ben (9)
Brush: Yaqi Evil Zebra

Tonight for SV Saturday Desert Vetiver popped up for a turn lathered with the Evil Zebra, an excellent combination. Let's face it though any lather that involves SV is going to be great. For some reason tonight I needed to add more water a couple of times before I had the right consistency for the lather. The Lupo made the Big Ben blade work well, but only to the extent of giving me a near BBS finish not that that was anything to complain about

SV Saturday
Semogue Saturdays!
Vintage April
1st Day of April GRUME 🍻
Q1 of GRUYERE completed
Still on track with 365 Shaves
Whew!

PXL_20230401_134453422.jpg

Schick Krona with Q Shave blade, Semogue 830 and SV Manna Di Sicilia

Yesterday Kathy and I did some yard work and started our new herb garden. Potatoes and onions are in the ground and tomatoes and peppers will be soon. (We discovered the Mediterranean Diet a couple months ago) The LSU ladies basketball team advanced to the March Madness Championship Game.
Today our granddaughter has a couple of her paintings on display at a local art gallery and more men's March Madness games tonight. Oh yeah, I gotta mow the yard later this afternoon. We're cooking falafels and rice for supper. Whew!

🥂 to the start of a new month!

Mike M

SV Saturday
IMG_20230401_144238.jpg

Blade: Big Ben (16)
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary

Tonight for SV Saturday 70th Anniversary decided to put in an appearance for my shave. I just love that scent and performance, SV Saturday and MdC Monday are my favourite days of the week. The Purple Haze is one of my softest brushes and always makes for a special lather. I decided to go for the Rocca today as, unlike the Lupo I can just throw it around my face and still get a great shave and good result.
Alas today the blade has let me down again and the result wasn't even as good as a DFS so unfortunately I am retiring the Big Ben blade after 16 shaves.

SV Saturday 1st April

Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

For the first week of April, I'm using Opuntia. Opened a new bottle of 2-in-1.

Some days, everything aligns for an easy win, and this was one of them. A perfect SV bowl-lather, and a textbook near-BBS.

My first SV Saturday! It's nice to meet you all :)

1680421394739.png

Preshave Soap: PAA Cube - in a bowl
Preshave Brush: Zenith M15 28mm Manchurian Badger
Razor: GameChanger .84-P
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Flying Mango (2016 forum edition)
Brush: 26mm Mozingo ZT4 on and Alpha Titanium Outlaw V2 handle

I posted a ton (too much perhaps) about this shave here in my journal.

Semogue and SV Saturdays!

PXL_20230310_232327579.MPb.jpeg

Merkur 34C with Astra SS (4), SV 70th Anniversary and Semogue 830

Good Day Gents
Today's quartet produced an enjoyable DFS+ finish. The 830 is my favorite Semogue brush. It is nice to use SV on Saturdays. I was late to the game acquiring the 34C. Many of us with a history of RAD get this razor in the early stages of our acquisition disorder. With that said, it is an excellent razor that deserves respect due to it's good design.

Top Bottom