What's new

superlather/ueberlather

This morning I used some absolutely horrible Caswell Massey lather shave cream on my brush and then onto the Williams-a controversial but at best satifactory soap- and made absolutely incredible, rich, lubricating, smooth lather that filled my BandB Badger brush with copious amounts of this luxurious lather, enough for two three pass shaves and touchup!! My question is simple-what is in one or the other that so complements the mixture? Why doesn't a manufacturer make that product? Seriously, my various superlathers with all sorts of combinations are consistently better than the individual components-no matter how well thought of they are. Do others find this? Why can't you just buy the stuff??

This morning I used some absolutely horrible Caswell Massey lather shave cream on my brush and then onto the Williams-a controversial but at best satifactory soap- and made absolutely incredible, rich, lubricating, smooth lather that filled my BandB Badger brush with copious amounts of this luxurious lather, enough for two three pass shaves and touchup!! My question is simple-what is in one or the other that so complements the mixture? Why doesn't a manufacturer make that product? Seriously, my various superlathers with all sorts of combinations are consistently better than the individual components-no matter how well thought of they are. Do others find this? Why can't you just buy the stuff??

I have an underperforming Caswell-Massey soap (1752 almond) that I have been able to bring to life by adding a small dollop of unscented cream to the mix. I never would have tried it if I hadn't read all those Williams threads. So I guess I learned something. :w00t:

I have an underperforming Caswell-Massey soap (1752 almond) that I have been able to bring to life by adding a small dollop of unscented cream to the mix. I never would have tried it if I hadn't read all those Williams threads. So I guess I learned something. :w00t:

That's one of the benefits of the mutual learning that we all get from the collective wisdom of the men and women of this community.

I have a theory, but please don't throw rocks at me.

With all the hard creams/ soft soaps out there, I believe the "already made superlather" is already for sale (though I will not venture a name). The last guy to use it probably mixed it with another product to make "his" superlather the way he likes it (or imagines he does). All these products, after all, are composed of pretty much the same ingredients.

It is in the character of Man to be unsatisfied and to try to tweak things to his liking. Maybe it is not the combination of products that changes the consistency of a lather, but the increased whipping, or more or less water/more or less product, or the quality of the water, or the atmospheric pressure, or the speed of the whipping, or the air humidity, or... you see my point.

If the Earth turned to Eden, most people would still complain about the weather.

P.S. I superlather too and I do find advantages to it, but what do I know, I am, after all, just a man. I am aware that part of the fun is in experimenting, and this post is not meant to discourage you to do so. I just felt philosophical this morning.

Have a great day, gents.

Fredo -

Very cool post. Some of us are wired to always find a better mouse trap ans some of us realize that the journey is perhaps even better than the destination.

I'm off to find the perfect ratio of added glycerin to Bigelow shave creme.

I'm enjoying the journey too. This morning, I used Williams (deride if you must) with GFT Limes and it made a great lather, perhaps my best to date.
The shave itself was awful, but it wasn't lather-related. Guys, don't shave mad, you'll only be hurting yourselves. :biggrin1:

MWF and TOBS samplers came in today. Can't wait till tomorrow (though I won't superlather them (yet)).

Being a fan of all people who are experimentally inclined, I'm not on the "you must be crazy to use Williams...bandwagon". Williams was my first lather product and I appreciated that I could make a lather with my tweezerman brush in a variety of bowls and cups raided from the kitchen. I think when I found VDH, I liked it better though and haven't returned to it. I've been experimenting with glycerin and have thought that williams might be a good candidate for that.

The quest continues!

Top Bottom