What's new

Suggestions please.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have been contemplating buying a mini lathe, if there is such an animal, for turning stuff in the winter, mostly to keep me out of the War Department's way. I have next to zero experience in turning, did a little in high skool shop class. Help is appreciated in these areas: costs, brands, etc..... Basically in everything. Remember, the War Department is mighty in this house, lol, and for 31 years I've prospered by avoiding her and asking for forgiveness in almost every financial decision!

The Harbor Freight 10” lathe is about the cheapest you can get, but in the last few years they’ve gone from $200 to $260. Still, with their monthly 20% off coupon that comes to just under $210 so not bad at all when compared to names like Jet and Rikon. If you can find a used mini lathe from a well known maker for around that price I think it would be a better purchase, but you always take a chance buying used. It didn’t take long for me to upgrade from my HF lathe, same with Graydog, and if I could do it all over again I never would have bought it and just gone with a better one. Within 6 months the spindle bearing started clicking and while it still works, it’s solely a buffing station for acrylic pens & brushes now. The real money however is in the accessories. High speed steel tools (carbon tools are junk), chuck, & a sharpening setup will cost quite a bit more than the lathe. Finishing supplies and turning stock will always be an expense, but hobbies are meant to spend your money...

FarmerTan

The Harbor Freight 10” lathe is about the cheapest you can get, but in the last few years they’ve gone from $200 to $260. Still, with their monthly 20% off coupon that comes to just under $210 so not bad at all when compared to names like Jet and Rikon. If you can find a used mini lathe from a well known maker for around that price I think it would be a better purchase, but you always take a chance buying used. It didn’t take long for me to upgrade from my HF lathe, same with Graydog, and if I could do it all over again I never would have bought it and just gone with a better one. Within 6 months the spindle bearing started clicking and while it still works, it’s solely a buffing station for acrylic pens & brushes now. The real money however is in the accessories. High speed steel tools (carbon tools are junk), chuck, & a sharpening setup will cost quite a bit more than the lathe. Finishing supplies and turning stock will always be an expense, but hobbies are meant to spend your money...
Thank you so much! I was afraid to ask for fear of showing my ignorance. I am always on Craigslist looking at used cars; maybe I'll start looking there, and at garage estate sales.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I started with the HF lathe and I had never used a lathe before and had a great time with it.
That's a nice little lathe to learn on.
You can see if you like to turn with out that much out of pocket.
I still have mine and use it for buffing mostly, still super quiet and spins true

FarmerTan

I started with the HF lathe and I had never used a lathe before and had a great time with it.
That's a nice little lathe to learn on.
You can see if you like to turn with out that much out of pocket.
I still have mine and use it for buffing mostly, still super quiet and spins true
Well.... My lovely War Department may kill me, but I can't believe the deals on Craigslist near me, old Sears that look nearly new, asking like $200 or best.... with tools. Is a 37" way too big? I wouldn't mind turning bowls, to be honest. Just stuff I'd like to give away, actually. I'm an artist by nature, meaning I hate honest work, lol.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The measurement that is the swing, center of the live center to the top of the bed is the most important one. It detirmons the size of the bowl

I say stay away from the Harbor Freight lathe. It is cheap, and is cheaply made. Sure, you may have success with it, but a few dollars more will result in a much better lathe. I purchased the Nova Comet II and have been very, very happy with it. It has some great features like variable speed control. Without changing belts I have a lot of control over the speed of the lathe. It is perfect for small projects like pens, shaving brushes, pepper mills, tool handles, etc... I highly recommend it for a first time lathe purchase. I love my lathe. It has netted me a nifty profit and is a highly rated lathe.

FarmerTan

I say stay away from the Harbor Freight lathe. It is cheap, and is cheaply made. Sure, you may have success with it, but a few dollars more will result in a much better lathe. I purchased the Nova Comet II and have been very, very happy with it. It has some great features like variable speed control. Without changing belts I have a lot of control over the speed of the lathe. It is perfect for small projects like pens, shaving brushes, pepper mills, tool handles, etc... I highly recommend it for a first time lathe purchase. I love my lathe. It has netted me a nifty profit and is a highly rated lathe.
Thanks for the reply. I doubt I will ever have to worry about a profit, but keeping all my digits would be a good plus!

A lathe will provide hours of enjoyment and learning. I call my two metal lathes time machines. When I work on a project, time seems to stand still. Hours tick by without me noticing.
If you're looking at used lathes, watch for lathes that come with some tooling/accessories. As @CigarSmoka said, the tooling can often exceed the cost of the lathe if you have to buy new.
Buy the biggest lathe you an afford/fit in your shop. You can turn small stuff on a big lathe, but you can't turn big stuff on a small lathe. Similarly, you can turn wood on a metal lathe, but you can't turn metal on a wood lathe.

FarmerTan

A lathe will provide hours of enjoyment and learning. I call my two metal lathes time machines. When I work on a project, time seems to stand still. Hours tick by without me noticing.
If you're looking at used lathes, watch for lathes that come with some tooling/accessories. As @CigarSmoka said, the tooling can often exceed the cost of the lathe if you have to buy new.
Buy the biggest lathe you an afford/fit in your shop. You can turn small stuff on a big lathe, but you can't turn big stuff on a small lathe. Similarly, you can turn wood on a metal lathe, but you can't turn metal on a wood lathe.
Thanks for the insight!

This is solid advice. Good metal lathes are also generally accepted as having less runout than a wood lathe.

... Is a 37" way too big? I wouldn't mind turning bowls, to be honest. Just stuff I'd like to give away, actually. I'm an artist by nature, meaning I hate honest work, lol.

There’s no such thing as a lathe that’s too big as long as you have room for it. As @Graydog mentioned, the swingover is what determines what size diameter bowl you can turn. With a 37” distance between centers you’ll be able to make a baseball bat on that thing.

FarmerTan

There’s no such thing as a lathe that’s too big as long as you have room for it. As @Graydog mentioned, the swingover is what determines what size diameter bowl you can turn. With a 37” distance between centers you’ll be able to make a baseball bat on that thing.
Oh man... I wish you hadn't mentioned baseball bats. Would that be cool or what?

Top Bottom