What's new

Stropping Cartridges

So I have been seeing these new Schick commercials, and I notice the "skin guards" on the back of the blades. Wouldn't these make stropping impossible? Is this the final nail in the "I can rub my cartridge against my jeans to sharpen it" coffin?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waJIBTEr7TQ[/YOUTUBE]

Before going to DEs about 3-4 monthes ago I used strictly an Atra. The same Atra my Dad gave me when I turned 13(I'm now 38). I used to get 5-6 workdays shave out of a personna cart. Now I am only a shower shaver so... The last 2-3 years I have been taking the carts and rubbing them slime strip first across a bar of soap. I then take and run them slime side first against my hip 4-5 times before I shave... I was getting 2-3 weeks out of a blade by doing that. Could be just perception, could be washing the micro grooves in the blade. I don't know, I will only attest to my experience. However if the wife got her hands on it no amount of stropping helped... Usually to my detriment!

Jay

First, "stropping" a cartridge as you would do with a straight razor is not possible.

The stropping action on jeans, or any other surface is totally ineffective at sharpening, or realigning the blade edge, as the cartridge only gives you access to one side of the blade; stropping (and sharpening) requires that you repeat the action on both sides of the blade edge.

That said, the stropping on jeans trick at best helps to dry the cartridge, and perhaps remove oxidation from the blade edge. It is oxidation of the blade edge that actually leads to the feeling of dullness, rather than the edge actually being dull; this is why people who keep the cartridge totally dry tend to experience longer blade life.

It is oxidation of the blade edge that actually leads to the feeling of dullness, rather than the edge actually being dull; this is why people who keep the cartridge totally dry tend to experience longer blade life.

This is key to prolonging a blade's life. Oxidation is expedited in the presence of water.

First, "stropping" a cartridge as you would do with a straight razor is not possible.

The stropping action on jeans, or any other surface is totally ineffective at sharpening, or realigning the blade edge, as the cartridge only gives you access to one side of the blade; stropping (and sharpening) requires that you repeat the action on both sides of the blade edge.

That said, the stropping on jeans trick at best helps to dry the cartridge, and perhaps remove oxidation from the blade edge. It is oxidation of the blade edge that actually leads to the feeling of dullness, rather than the edge actually being dull; this is why people who keep the cartridge totally dry tend to experience longer blade life.

You would not believe how many people I talk to who assume that cartridge razors only have one sided edges. I don't even think injectors have one sided blades. I try to explain that if their "stropping" did anything, it would be rolling the edge of blade under to an area you couldn't get to. But they believe that it works, and if their blades are frozen, they'll last even longer. :tongue_sm

People believe what they want to believe. There are those that think the moon landing was faked and that 911 was an inside job orchestrated by George W. Bush. :crazy:

Could be worse. I have recently encountered "Pluggers" who believe that the video we see of the BP oil spill are faked, and that the well is still leaking. They believe this because BP photoshopped some photos of their command center and it took so long for BP to release hi-def footage to the public.

Could be worse. I have recently encountered "Pluggers" who believe that the video we see of the BP oil spill are faked, and that the well is still leaking. They believe this because BP photoshopped some photos of their command center and it took so long for BP to release hi-def footage to the public.
I really hope you are kidding me. :huh: I'm all for skepticism but sometimes it goes way too far for some people.

People believe what they want to believe. There are those that think the moon landing was faked and that 911 was an inside job orchestrated by George W. Bush. :crazy:

Pshah. Everyone knows 9/11 was committed by the....oh crap, I have been watching too much Doctor Who......:blink:

Top Bottom