What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Picked up another RA
6/8 shoulderless, Spanish point, Rosewood

20210424_111548.jpg

I bought these two bad boys about a month ago - my first pair of related razors:
  1. J.A. Henckels 17 7/8 inch carbon steel full hollow
  2. J.A. Henckels Friodur 17 7/8 inch stainless steel half hollow
I am extremely happy with both razors. Both razors required a full progression of wet/dry sandpaper and steel wool, as both had some devil's spit. However, the more challenging part of the clean-up were the scales on the Friodur. When the razors arrived, the scales on the carbon steel 17 were yellow and the scales on the Friodur 17 were orange, so I did my normal routine of food-grade mineral oil, steel wool and elbow grease. And to my surprise both sets of scales turned out to be the same attractive pale yellow. I had just assumed that the scales on the Friodur were made from a darker plastic. Cleaning up the scales on the Friodur took a long time. I assume that just like white plastic can yellow, yellow plastic can darken to an orange. I would love to know the history of both razors, and I do wonder if some environmental factor like cigarette smoke caused the scales on the Friodur to turn orange. If you look very closely at the bottom of the scales on the Friodur, you can see some non-toxic inclusions.

Turns out I bought my first four 7/8 inch razors over the course of one week, and the carbon steel 17 was the first to arrive. I could not believe how significant in size the razor was. Now I am used to the size. Both razors hold a very sharp edge and shave like a dream. Buying both was a great decision!

Not sure if its the difference in steel or grind, but the carbon steel 17 seems to feel a tad crisper.

20210424_193347921_iOS.jpg

20210424_193104653_iOS.jpg

Yes Sir, the deals are out there! It isn’t a beauty queen, but it took a ridiculous edge, the pins are right and tight, and I have plenty of beauty queens...this will be about pure enjoyment in the shave...and using some of the best money I think I have spent in shaving!

Vr

Matt

A first or second runner up perhaps?:001_rolle

Truly a beauty

@Matt O, I have someone that provides me with very fine hair for HHT. Any razor can pass HHT with coarse hair. But I have some that pass with very fine hair held bulb in! If you can pass with fine hair held bulb in, then you know the edge is there.

Top Bottom