• 20201208_125644.jpg
    20201208_125644.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 20201208_125731.jpg
    20201208_125731.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 43

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just received from a far off and exotic land, a very rare and much sort-after Gold Dollar 208 with the @Slash McCoy seal of approval on both the face and the shank.

The scales are of delicately moulded plastic with intergrated wedge, all hand finished with a nickel alloy pin at each end.

It was packaged in a finely finished cardboard case complete with magnetic closure and the razor mounted in a deluxe red plastic surround.

IMG_20201208_151850.jpg

IMG_20201208_151822.jpg
Eat your heart out with envy.

Once honed up and used a few times, I will post a detailed review of this fine example of precision Chinese engineering.

Now all I have to do is resist the urge to put together a M7DS of these razors!

Just received from a far off and exotic land, a very rare and much sort-after Gold Dollar 208 with the @Slash McCoy seal of approval on both the face and the shank.

The scales are of delicately moulded plastic with intergrated wedge, all hand finished with a nickel alloy pin at each end.

It was packaged in a finely finished cardboard case complete with magnetic closure and the razor mounted in a deluxe red plastic surround.

Eat your heart out with envy.

Once honed up and used a few times, I will post a detailed review of this fine example of precision Chinese engineering.

Now all I have to do is resist the urge to put together a M7DS of these razors!

what a case!

I LOVE THIS, you don't often see Gong razors in nice shape. ERN really knew how to make fantastic razors!

The guy I bought it from claimed it was pre WW2, I would have no idea if that is true. I know that Gong was one of Ern's brands but there is no mention of Ern on the razor, on the rear of the tang it says German Make 2633.
Lovely fine grind NOS with paper still on the razor when it arrived. Quite sharp still I just lightly stroked it on a 12k stone and will strop and shave tomorrow.

Legion

Staff member
When I got word that there was and Australian maker building razors it was really only a matter of time before I caved in and bought one to try out.

S.K Colling & Co, based in Proserpine QLD.

First impressions based on fit and finish are very good. The grind and lines are all even. Bevel looks thin and even. Out of the box the HHT is a bit average, so I suspect I will probably need to tune the edge to my satisfaction, but it seems a nice piece for a reasonable price.

DSC00498.JPG

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
When I got word that there was and Australian maker building razors it was really only a matter of time before I caved in and bought one to try out.

S.K Colling & Co, based in Proserpine QLD.

First impressions based on fit and finish are very good. The grind and lines are all even. Bevel looks thin and even. Out of the box the HHT is a bit average, so I suspect I will probably need to tune the edge to my satisfaction, but it seems a nice piece for a reasonable price.

View attachment 1192732
Well, it's about time you guys started making some razors down there.

Hmmmm... spine looks a bit thick, and the scales look boxy and heavy, and it looks like a flat spacer there instead of a wedge. But the grinding appears very neat, and the finish is pretty good. Tang stamping even looks good. Let us know on the honing and shaving. That will be a brand to watch, I think.

Legion

Staff member
Well, it's about time you guys started making some razors down there.

Hmmmm... spine looks a bit thick, and the scales look boxy and heavy, and it looks like a flat spacer there instead of a wedge. But the grinding appears very neat, and the finish is pretty good. Tang stamping even looks good. Let us know on the honing and shaving. That will be a brand to watch, I think.
I'm hopeful. Spine is fairly narrowish, the geometry seems ok. The scales are a little boxy, and the "wedge' is flat, but they are carbon fiber, so they are light enough. The maker had four for sale when I bought this. The blades looked much the same, but the scales were all different materials.

The only thing that needs to be proven is the heat treat and edge taking/holding. But if that holds up, this razor claims to be 100% hand made in Australia, has CF scales, and didn't cost much more than a stock Dovo does here. That would make it great value in my book.

DSC00502.JPG

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I also bought this Ralf Aust 6/8 square point horn scales from Maggards on Black Friday. The pricing for the razor helped me get one razor closer to an assorted 7 day set. Only need 1 more to razor to have 7 in my regular rotation.
View attachment 1192875
A handome looking razor! Only one minor detail irritates me... the too-long scales pinned way down the neck. Won't make any difference in the shave, though.

Top Bottom