What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Greetings everyone.... Curious if anyone has any info on this straight razor. I thought it was interesting to see the tang end was covered in the same material as the scales... Do you think it could by ivory, or would celluloid be a better guess? Any idea of when this may have been manufactured? Thanks for any input in advance!

IMG_5701.jpeg
IMG_5705.jpeg
IMG_5703.jpeg

Three razors came today (a lot of cleaning all day!).

Display2.jpg

Top to bottom:
1. Silver Ring by Grah&Plumacher
2. Wyeth
3. Kobar
4. Dixie
5. Boker

3,4,and 5 came today. There is room for five more in the case, but I have six on the way! What to do? Guess I'll have to buy more display cases. Rugra is not in the picture (it resides in the bathroom, ready to use). Now I have to hone all this (only the Silver Ring out of these five is ready to shave),.....and honing is the job I suck at.

Well...I must say that I wish this was mine...a full 25mm 1st Generation Filarmonica 14 Doble Temple JMP!

My pal’s grandfather had a barbershop in LA many decades ago, and he used a 2nd Generation Filarmonica 13 Doble Temple to shave his customers. My buddy knows I have a few Filarmonica razors, and two weeks ago asked if I could help to find him one. So I helped to find him this one. I don’t think he quite appreciates how special this razor is, but that’s alright...I hope it will be special to him not because of what it is, but because of who it will remind him of when he sees or uses it.

At any rate, it arrived today, and I will hone it for my friend before sending it his way.

Vr

Matt
B615E451-F4FD-4D89-BDCC-BD3EFA8EDCC1.jpeg
B4B1BBD1-F95D-4AC4-90BA-F099E81D9ED5.jpeg

Well...I must say that I wish this was mine...a full 25mm 1st Generation Filarmonica 14 Doble Temple JMP!

My pal’s grandfather had a barbershop in LA many decades ago, and he used a 2nd Generation Filarmonica 13 Doble Temple to shave his customers. My buddy knows I have a few Filarmonica razors, and two weeks ago asked if I could help to find him one. So I helped to find him this one. I don’t think he quite appreciates how special this razor is, but that’s alright...I hope it will be special to him not because of what it is, but because of who it will remind him of when he sees or uses it.

At any rate, it arrived today, and I will hone it for my friend before sending it his way.

Vr

Matt
View attachment 1189301View attachment 1189302
Awesome!
Wondering where you found this ?
Im always curious where these turn up...
Antique stores, europe etc.?

Vr

Matt

thats a special one indeed!!!!

camo

Vr

Matt
Very nice Matt. It's a lovely razor. Did you repin it or do any restoration work?

Thanks for the kind words gents.

Gabe,

My buddy did the slightest bit of restoration work, cleaned the original scales, and then repinned it.

I just finished honing it (See what did you hone today thread)!

Vr

Matt

This one came in today. I got it on the bay for $19.99. I'm pretty sure the scales are bone. They have some grain to them and the tiniest of a bug bite at one end - barely noticeable. The blade face has a very nice etch with what looks like an original mirror polish. The back of the blade is more satin, showing the original grind marks. It came in looking awful, but some wiping with The Barkeepers Friend did wonders. All rust spots are gone but there is staining and some pitting. I don't mind that too much, as it adds character to an old razor. I do have questions and will also post this on the restoration forum.

1. I would like to improve the appearance of the blade and scales but I do not want to get too abrasive. I was considering .1µ diamond paste, but not sure. Any tips would be appreciated.
2. What is the best way to improve/care for the scales?
3. The bevel has pitting at the toe. I think there is enough metal to work with. But would a razor like this be worth sending out for honing, say to Griffith or Bob's Razors? I am not very experienced at honing.
4. Would anyone have an idea as to when this razor was manufactured?

This forum has always been very helpful and thanks for that!
Wostenholm.jpg

Just grabbed this Boker. Looks to be in great shape. I'll have it next week. Tomorrow I have three coming in,.....one from SoCal that Alan fixed for me (THANK YOU AGAIN!), and two new acquisitions, Wostenholm Pipe razor, and Crown. All the stuff in the case (my previous post), is cleaned, and honed (to the best of my ability, which doesn't say much). I'm learning,....I hope. Honing is a tricky business when one suffers from bad arthritis in hands. Oh well,.....I can always send them out to be professionally honed.

King.jpg

If anyone knows the appx age of this piece, I'd appreciate any info about it.

This one came in today. I got it on the bay for $19.99. I'm pretty sure the scales are bone. They have some grain to them and the tiniest of a bug bite at one end - barely noticeable. The blade face has a very nice etch with what looks like an original mirror polish. The back of the blade is more satin, showing the original grind marks. It came in looking awful, but some wiping with The Barkeepers Friend did wonders. All rust spots are gone but there is staining and some pitting. I don't mind that too much, as it adds character to an old razor. I do have questions and will also post this on the restoration forum.

1. I would like to improve the appearance of the blade and scales but I do not want to get too abrasive. I was considering .1µ diamond paste, but not sure. Any tips would be appreciated.
2. What is the best way to improve/care for the scales?
3. The bevel has pitting at the toe. I think there is enough metal to work with. But would a razor like this be worth sending out for honing, say to Griffith or Bob's Razors? I am not very experienced at honing.
4. Would anyone have an idea as to when this razor was manufactured?

This forum has always been very helpful and thanks for that!View attachment 1189631

This is a really nice Wostenholm. Horn is easy to refinish (tons of tutorials are available on the web). I would "breadknife" it (to get to the solid metal), and then normal bevel setting, and hone. I would polish the blade with Noxon (or Braso) by hand only, to preserve the etching,....definitely nothing harsh. IMO, vintage razor needs to show its age (history!), but be ready to shave. Have fun.

This just showed up in the mailbox! It took a two week trip to SoCal, where it was repined, and honed by the helpful member of this board. EXCELLENT work. Technically, this is "new acquisition", because it was in my possession only for couple of days prior to the trip to Cali (I never shaved with it). This is "Silver Ring" by Grah&Plumacher from (IMO) mid 1930s. After extensive search on the web, I found few references (on this board) mentioning the Solingen company Bergfeld&Sohn that (according to the post from "Polarbeard") produced the line of razors called Globusmann/Globusmen/Globemen (no other source on the web mentions "Globemen"). In short, looks like someone in this razor's long life "married" the Gobemen scales with G&P Silver Ring blade. Although not "original", it is to day my favorite (in looks),.....after the awesome honing job it received in Cali, I'm sure it will be may "daily driver". Without more ado.......

Globemen.jpg

Top Bottom