What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

VERY NIICE! I was just pondering about a month ago on getting one of these puppies. In the end I picked a Wacker but hey at least somebody good got it instead. Cheers, Happiest of Holidays!
Thank you ^^ it's one beefy razor
Wacker are nice aswell though!
Happiest of holidays aswell!

Nabbed this Barlow & Sons from the Bay. All cleaned up and honed I'd say this bugger is a nice treat! Aww, I forgot the bow... 🎀

Happy holidays all, hope yours are full of heartfelt joy and cheer.

PXL_20201211_040426342.MP~2.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Came across a great deal on a handful of vintage razors today, thought they’d be perfect to test some different honing methods on.
From left to right there’s
Dubl Duck
Mystery razor just stamped Sheffield English Steel
Eiker & Sohne 66 PAX
A total mystery
W. Greaves & Sons Sheffield.
View attachment 1191282
Also snagged a massive Wade & Butcher FBU and a Wade & Butchers Celebrated Fine India Steel that I plan to restore back to their former glory.

View attachment 1191286
Great score, they look really good.

Today was not my day. Three razors showed up (being delayed about two weeks). Opened the first package......"Barbers Rattler"....scales pinned on the pivot with brass rod, no washers, not tight, wrong rod (too thin for the hole in the blade,....razor not usable. Opened the second,...."Globusmen", nice scales (faux tortoise), tight. Blade was BUTCHERED by Bubba. It seems to me it had a chip at the heel at one time, so Bubba (being creative and all), decided to shorten the blade on the bench grinder!! Ok,....on to the third one,....Crown company, razor is early 20th century, and I was attracted by the angel on the scales. No issues, it will clean up nice.

Then I proceeded to unpin the Rattler, no problem. Blade cleaned up nice. Now I looked a little closer at the Gobusmen blade, and tried to figure out how to salvage it. I looked, and I looked, and I looked some more. Sending it back is too much hassle (USPS is SLOW nowadays!). Well, ...suddenly I felt creative. How about I throw the Globusmen blade away, use Globusmen scales (nice!), and put them on the Rattler blade!? Since I already have one "marriage" (Silver Ring on Globemen scales), I decided to make a unique marriage of my own. Not only that I will marry the Rattler blade with Globusmen scales, but I'll go a step further....I'll blue the blade! I blued MANY firearms in my life of collecting them, so no problem there. Off I went.

Marriage1.jpg

This is how this marriage will look, after I pin the scales. What do you think?

Crown razor is coming along fine (I didn't have time to finish it today), and it will be fully restored in the next few days. Looks like I am about to learn how to pin my own razors (I just ordered everything I will need).

This is the Crown.

Angel.jpg

So out of three razors, I managed to save two. Not bad. I paid WAY too much for that butchered Globusmen, but it's only money,...none of us is taking it with us when we leave. Right?

This arrived today. My first Japanese straight! No idea if there is a connection between Yasuki (the razor brand) and Yasuki (as in YSS, the Hitachi division that among other things makes Shirogami and Aogami steel). Mainly I was attracted to the flowing lines on the blade.
F9ACC170-E000-4DAD-AD31-4B39FAD3C4E3.jpeg
Doesn’t need much clean-up, hope to hone this weekend.

Today was not my day. Three razors showed up (being delayed about two weeks). Opened the first package......"Barbers Rattler"....scales pinned on the pivot with brass rod, no washers, not tight, wrong rod (too thin for the hole in the blade,....razor not usable. Opened the second,...."Globusmen", nice scales (faux tortoise), tight. Blade was BUTCHERED by Bubba. It seems to me it had a chip at the heel at one time, so Bubba (being creative and all), decided to shorten the blade on the bench grinder!! Ok,....on to the third one,....Crown company, razor is early 20th century, and I was attracted by the angel on the scales. No issues, it will clean up nice.

Then I proceeded to unpin the Rattler, no problem. Blade cleaned up nice. Now I looked a little closer at the Gobusmen blade, and tried to figure out how to salvage it. I looked, and I looked, and I looked some more. Sending it back is too much hassle (USPS is SLOW nowadays!). Well, ...suddenly I felt creative. How about I throw the Globusmen blade away, use Globusmen scales (nice!), and put them on the Rattler blade!? Since I already have one "marriage" (Silver Ring on Globemen scales), I decided to make a unique marriage of my own. Not only that I will marry the Rattler blade with Globusmen scales, but I'll go a step further....I'll blue the blade! I blued MANY firearms in my life of collecting them, so no problem there. Off I went.

View attachment 1195213

Crown razor is coming along fine (I didn't have time to finish it today), and it will be fully restored in the next few days. Looks like I am about to learn how to pin my own razors (I just ordered everything I will need).

This is the Crown.

View attachment 1195214

So out of three razors, I managed to save two. Not bad. I paid WAY too much for that butchered Globusmen, but it's only money,...none of us is taking it with us when we leave. Right?

That’s the attitude and when we play razor roulette on auction forum sometimes you lose [emoji2375] but that rattler will look awesome with the Globusmen scales nice recovery [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I
This arrived today. My first Japanese straight! No idea if there is a connection between Yasuki (the razor brand) and Yasuki (as in YSS, the Hitachi division that among other
This arrived today. My first Japanese straight! No idea if there is a connection between Yasuki (the razor brand) and Yasuki (as in YSS, the Hitachi division that among other things makes Shirogami and Aogami steel). Mainly I was attracted to the flowing lines on the blade.View attachment 1195223Doesn’t need much clean-up, hope to hone this weekend.

things makes Shirogami and Aogami steel). Mainly I was attracted to the flowing lines on the blade.View attachment 1195223Doesn’t need much clean-up, hope to hone this weekend.
I predict that will not be your last Japanese Straight Razor!

View attachment 1195213

This is the Crown.

View attachment 1195214

That will look good Sir!!!

And yes its only money we sure cannot take it with us so enjoy it while you can is my moto....

Just got this one that I stumbled on the bay. It’s a F. Koeller & Co. Paramount, the only flaw I see is the scale was broken but the repair seems solid so I can live with it. Most of the gold wash is gone but I will try and preserve the best that I can. I am in love with the ornate spine on this one. Hopefully I will be restoring this one soon and will post pics of it done then.

Larry

BB7C4608-43B5-40C8-9030-05628855B5F8.jpeg

ADEB9348-0639-4FBA-AA01-8EA170770C6E.jpeg

Top Bottom