What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

I’ve been razor gambling on eBay again - and loving every minute of it as Maxwell Smart said. Sometimes I win big, sometimes I lose, and some times like this one, I do OK. So here’s another one for Arne @Polarbeard since he likes the MK 31 - this one is actually a MK 32 that likely started life as a 6/8 but is now about 1/32” less with light hone wear.

The seller’s images were bad but the description said that everything was in good shape, and 30-day returns were offered if you were willing to pay return shipping. This is probably a dresser-top set, I cannot imagine traveling with it in period luggage, the brush and razor would fall out, not to mention breakage. The description included a C. V. Heljestrand MK 32 with scales that ‘might be ivory’. The actual condition could not be determined from the images. So I rolled the dice and did well enough I suppose. Everything was dirty, but nothing was broken or even chipped. The scales are very pretty ivory and in excellent condition. The brush appears to be a dyed boar and it’s shedding a bit, but it‘s likely near 100 years old. Still usable at this point but it’s more of a conversation set piece I think.

The razor cleaned up and honed up well, taking a fine edge as Swedish razors are known to do. It was apparently one of a 7-day set, and I would like to have the other 6!

It’s a nice period piece in good condition, and I may just use it to see what the old days were like, though I may pass on the brush which probably has never been used and smells a little ‘piggy’.

View attachment 1091350View attachment 1091351View attachment 1091352View attachment 1091353View attachment 1091354
Sorry for being late with my answer Steve. Lately I've reduced the time spent on the Internet due to all depressing news. However here I am. I do congratulate you to a very fine specimen of an iconic razor. The 31 is a much more forgiving razor, but the shaves you can get from a 32 are outstanding, but it requires experience and that you're on your toes when shaving with it. In short I'm hundred percent certain that you'll get very much joy out of shaving with it.

dropped on a W H Morley today......and had some meaningful insight into the stones and 3M film the seller uses.

20200426_102254.jpg

20200426_114151.jpg

if it arrives in similar condition as the last......I'll be extremely happy.

camo

Good afternoon all.

Yesterday threw down a reasonable £65.00 on a new AC SS Kami, with the wine / pink handle.

I adore my folding AC SS, but generally use it as a kami anyway. Hopefully this new aquisition will give increased control over pressure and angle. Looking forward very much to trying it!

When it comes to Heljestrand razors I've got, or have had, most of them. There's however been one exception; I've never owned a 7/8 Heljestrand. This is due to that they are very uncommon and mostly extremely expensive. According to what I've managed to pick up it was the new owner of Heljestrand, Magnus Kindal, that in the 1920's wanted to make a 7/8 thumb notch razor for export to the USA. The craftsmen in Eskilstuna protested, why? who would ever want such a large razor? it would be very unpractical, a stupid idea! However they did produce a test series of a thumb notch razor stamped with "No.12" that was to be sold domestically in Sweden. It was an utter failure. The Swedes prefered 4/8 to 5/8 razors. This didn't deter Kindal who ordered the production of a refined version called M.K. (Magnus Kindal) No.33 for the export market, primarily the USA. It was an expensive razor that never sold in larger volumes so post WWII it was replaced by the 130 series and later the 140 series. I've also seen 7/8 Heljestrand razors made in the 1970's with names like "Ken".

Last week I won an auction, by a seller in Eskilstuna. It was for a NOS Heljestrand No.12. It's got minor pitting as you can see below, but it's definitely never been used. I'll wait some time before I decide if I'm to polish away the pitting or not. It wouldn't be difficult, but I've been searching for a razor like this one for nearly a decade and I'd be heartbroken if I damaged it. I've restored and polished very many razors, but they've all been replaceable.

I saw a table where the No.12 was noted as 7/8 half hollow. That is wrong. It is 7/8, but it's also among the most hollow blades I've ever seen. So like any polar bear could tell you if you just wait patiently sooner or later a really fat seal will come up to you to inspect your teeth. The razor cost me a pretty penny, but it still was less than I'd have to pay for any modern high quality 7/8 full hollow razor.

Now I've only got two items left on my razor list; a Zowada with a thumb notch and black scales and a NOS Puma 1938 6/8. To be totally honest though this one was far more important to me and I'd given up every hope to ever get one.

20200508_155208.jpg

When it comes to Heljestrand razors I've got, or have had, most of them. There's however been one exception; I've never owned a 7/8 Heljestrand. This is due to that they are very uncommon and mostly extremely expensive. According to what I've managed to pick up it was the new owner of Heljestrand, Magnus Kindal, that in the 1920's wanted to make a 7/8 thumb notch razor for export to the USA. The craftsmen in Eskilstuna protested, why? who would ever want such a large razor? it would be very unpractical, a stupid idea! However they did produce a test series of a thumb notch razor stamped with "No.12" that was to be sold domestically in Sweden. It was an utter failure. The Swedes prefered 4/8 to 5/8 razors. This didn't deter Kindal who ordered the production of a refined version called M.K. (Magnus Kindal) No.33 for the export market, primarily the USA. It was an expensive razor that never sold in larger volumes so post WWII it was replaced by the 130 series and later the 140 series. I've also seen 7/8 Heljestrand razors made in the 1970's with names like "Ken".

Last week I won an auction, by a seller in Eskilstuna. It was for a NOS Heljestrand No.12. It's got minor pitting as you can see below, but it's definitely never been used. I'll wait some time before I decide if I'm to polish away the pitting or not. It wouldn't be difficult, but I've been searching for a razor like this one for nearly a decade and I'd be heartbroken if I damaged it. I've restored and polished very many razors, but they've all been replaceable.

I saw a table where the No.12 was noted as 7/8 half hollow. That is wrong. It is 7/8, but it's also among the most hollow blades I've ever seen. So like any polar bear could tell you if you just wait patiently sooner or later a really fat seal will come up to you to inspect your teeth. The razor cost me a pretty penny, but it still was less than I'd have to pay for any modern high quality 7/8 full hollow razor.

Now I've only got two items left on my razor list; a Zowada with a thumb notch and black scales and a NOS Puma 1938 6/8. To be totally honest though this one was far more important to me and I'd given up every hope to ever get one.

View attachment 1097386
This is a gorgeous razor, I am very happy you managed to get your hands on such a prized unicorn for you.

Well done, enjoy it!

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom