What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

When it comes to Heljestrand razors I've got, or have had, most of them. There's however been one exception; I've never owned a 7/8 Heljestrand. This is due to that they are very uncommon and mostly extremely expensive. According to what I've managed to pick up it was the new owner of Heljestrand, Magnus Kindal, that in the 1920's wanted to make a 7/8 thumb notch razor for export to the USA. The craftsmen in Eskilstuna protested, why? who would ever want such a large razor? it would be very unpractical, a stupid idea! However they did produce a test series of a thumb notch razor stamped with "No.12" that was to be sold domestically in Sweden. It was an utter failure. The Swedes prefered 4/8 to 5/8 razors. This didn't deter Kindal who ordered the production of a refined version called M.K. (Magnus Kindal) No.33 for the export market, primarily the USA. It was an expensive razor that never sold in larger volumes so post WWII it was replaced by the 130 series and later the 140 series. I've also seen 7/8 Heljestrand razors made in the 1970's with names like "Ken".

Last week I won an auction, by a seller in Eskilstuna. It was for a NOS Heljestrand No.12. It's got minor pitting as you can see below, but it's definitely never been used. I'll wait some time before I decide if I'm to polish away the pitting or not. It wouldn't be difficult, but I've been searching for a razor like this one for nearly a decade and I'd be heartbroken if I damaged it. I've restored and polished very many razors, but they've all been replaceable.

I saw a table where the No.12 was noted as 7/8 half hollow. That is wrong. It is 7/8, but it's also among the most hollow blades I've ever seen. So like any polar bear could tell you if you just wait patiently sooner or later a really fat seal will come up to you to inspect your teeth. The razor cost me a pretty penny, but it still was less than I'd have to pay for any modern high quality 7/8 full hollow razor.

Now I've only got two items left on my razor list; a Zowada with a thumb notch and black scales and a NOS Puma 1938 6/8. To be totally honest though this one was far more important to me and I'd given up every hope to ever get one.

View attachment 1097386

congrats on the acquisition of an "unobtanium." shes a beaut......I'd leave it as is if it were me.......but I'm a newb to the SR world.

camo

This is a gorgeous razor, I am very happy you managed to get your hands on such a prized unicorn for you.

Well done, enjoy it!

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
Thank You I will😊
congrats on the acquisition of an "unobtanium." shes a beaut......I'd leave it as is if it were me.......but I'm a newb to the SR world.

camo
Thank You. I really should leave it as it is, but in the end I'll most likely fix it. We don't have to like or approve of everything about ourselves, but we have to live with ourselves. I've done so for 53 years and one of the things I've learned is that I want anything I own to be in perfect condition. I try to minimize the number of things I own, but I've failed miserably when it comes to razors.

Last edited:
It has a small chip and it needs some polishing but....
A97D241D-2907-44C7-B355-28EF39576DB0.jpeg
72E69820-CD80-4429-9392-7DC50D77E5DA.jpeg

proxy.php

Pretty excited about this one [emoji3516] i was going thru my razors and I realized out of over 100 I had zero English razors so had to fix that and went hunting. turns out out I found one in pretty good condition :) can’t wait to freshen the edge and give it its maiden voyage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proxy.php

Pretty excited about this one [emoji3516] i was going thru my razors and I realized out of over 100 I had zero English razors so had to fix that and went hunting. turns out out I found one in pretty good condition :) can’t wait to freshen the edge and give it its maiden voyage.

What do you mean pretty good condition. That is in amazing condition. Beautiful razor

proxy.php

If there only can be one this one is a good choice. Congratulations.

Yes, as @Polarbeard says, you must be patient. First image, MK 33 with a tiny bit of wear next to the full 7/8 (if not a bit more) No 140. Second image, a SOTD showing the black-and-white pair of No 140s.

View attachment 1099189View attachment 1099190
Where have all the good razors gone long time passing?
Where have all the good razors gone long time ago?
Picked by Steve everyone,
Picked by Steve everyone.
(May Joan Baez forgive me)

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
These are on the way, seller’s photos but with massive color correction for the horrible color cast. The seller said 3/4” deep, but I’m guessing that they’re 11/16. If they’re wider than that, I’ll be very pleased though blades wider than 11/16 in a vertical dresser case are not that common.

376F855B-F140-4C8B-9CDD-C8314896C0F3.jpeg
1BCC274E-7931-4E93-91B1-C4B92BEEAB63.jpeg
E88B458F-6E3B-4D61-AF32-FC4AE9B90263.jpeg

These are on the way, seller’s photos but with massive color correction for the horrible color cast. The seller said 3/4” deep, but I’m guessing that they’re 11/16. If they’re wider than that, I’ll be very pleased though blades wider than 11/16 in a vertical dresser case are not that common.

View attachment 1099471View attachment 1099472View attachment 1099473
Never ever let me know where you're going to keep them. Those razors in that condition shouldn't exist considering their age. Truly remarkable and very beautiful too. If it was me I wouldn't shave with them but put them into a really nice and well lit up display cabInet well out of reach from any envious old bear.

Wow. There are some smokin' hot razors to be seen here. The only "exotic" or really out of the way razor I own is this. A Zowada carbon series. Limited run by Tim he released while recovering from a motorcycle accident which restricted his blade fabrication processes somewhat.
I don't think it's really rare or collectible but I certainly like it. The purpleheart scales are something you don't see everyday.
1DB1897B-6D45-42DD-A068-521C57DBF017.jpeg

Steve56

Arne, I tend to agree. In no case do I intend to put noticeable wear on them, but... I think the first thing to do upon receipt is to inspect them and see if they have been honed at all. If they have and the bevels/grinds look good, there’s no reason not to tape the spines with Kapton and touch them up and enjoy shaving with them some.

If they’ve not been honed, I’ll probably tape the spine With Kapton, Sharpie the bevels, and make one or two passes on a fine grit synth just to see where the stone hits the bevels. If it hits way up on the shoulder, I’m probably done and will take your advice. If the stone evenly hits the apex, no reason not to finish them, it won't take much. That MK 32 that I posted a week or so ago is a good example. It was ground so well that I set the bevel with a 6k Shapton Glass HC, finished on a jnat and boom, I’m done. No tape and you can’t tell the difference from when I received it. The Swedes know how to grind a razor.

Remember I’m a fellow that currently has 104 shaves on an almost year old Filly 14 Sub Cero edge (May 24th) and it’s not done, so one edge can last a long, long time on razors that you don’t use a lot. Or even those that you do in the Sub Cero’s case.

Managing historic or collectible razors in pristine condition is a challenge. Sometimes you can do it, and sometimes it’s better to leave them alone and just admire them.

Last edited:
View attachment 1097331

McLellan
weakness for older English razors. she has some staining/marks......I call it "character."

camo

hopefully I get this soon.

the state of MI has held it captive for 6 days and has traveled 63 miles total. I could have got it quicker with horse and wagon. (no exaggeration......I did the math)

just recieved notice that it has departed. hopefully makes it to the Hoosier Land soon. hope it does not see yet another "distribution center."

camo

Steve56

The Wosties arrived a day early and I am very happy. They are 6/8 to the spine shoulder and they are unhoned, IOW they’re new. They’re a little heavier than 1/2 hollow but not much. Each one has a crack or break in the scales at the wedge pin, but this was disclosed by the seller. Fortunately one crack is on the show side and one on the pile side, so a quick swap by a skilled scale mechanic will give me one perfect razor. Those of you that know me know that I’m a razor boy scout, and I will buy beaters in ivory scales for the scales, so I have one ready to go as a replacement. I should end up with 2 perfect razors. At some point, I’m in no hurry.

And oh, that spine work!

E4A7C35E-E0E4-4A80-B413-5EB4B8905AED.jpeg
5FEC1D58-D580-408C-8E47-6D193E59C901.jpeg
137DA46B-BB88-485C-80D5-9F65EFCB5C95.jpeg

Top Bottom