What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

My secret to a great shave with Swedish steel? I genuflect to the old Gods just before the process starts, sacrifice a virgin, and then pray three times, facing Uppsala. Seems to work.
I was born in Uppsala and I used to play on the burial mounds where the Norse temple once stod. I later went to the university in Uppsala and spent many Friday nights trying to find virgins among the beautiful blonde Valkyries. I never found a virgin among them but the search was rather joyful. De gamla gudarna lever än (The old gods are still alive)

It was shipped to my US address, so I won't see it for awhile but this is one of my grail razors.
Needs a little TLC to clean it up but the price was quite reasonable for this blade. Kamijo Yukio.
I "Hope" to get a "Nice" one some day as well...

Kamijo.jpg

Last edited:
My secret to a great shave with Swedish steel? I genuflect to the old Gods just before the process starts, sacrifice a virgin, and then pray three times, facing Uppsala. Seems to work.

Based on what I know of Norse ritual I would recommend a libation, share some of your lather with the gods, Tyr would probably be the god for things knife related. As a Norse god, he would certainly need some lather and a good shave.

Otherwise, in the old Norse mythology smithing and metalcrafts are the domain of the dwarfs.

Thanks, I am making my return to straight shaving after not having picked up a razor in 4-5 years, and never really getting past the novice phase last time. I've been using a DE for about 13 years now, and the current world situation put into focus how much I wanted to switch to an (even more) sustainable method of shaving.

I did one pass with the straight yesterday before finishing out with the DE. Slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks, I am making my return to straight shaving after not having picked up a razor in 4-5 years, and never really getting past the novice phase last time. I've been using a DE for about 13 years now, and the current world situation put into focus how much I wanted to switch to an (even more) sustainable method of shaving.

I did one pass with the straight yesterday before finishing out with the DE. Slow and steady wins the race.

Yes it does. I myself enjoy straights more. To me they are just more relaxing.

I love the look on those two razors. I keep watching them but always pass them up for a japanese blade. I think eventually I will have to get one.

The first one is the general look that I like in a straight razor. I like the bolster on the second one. It has a blade that is a little narrower than I generally prefer but the price was right and I always liked that look as well and I guess I was just in the mood to buy a couple of straights.

I hadn't bought any in a year or so and was pretty much satisfied with what I already have but this "shelter in place" stuff is getting to me and I felt the need to buy something. :)

These are the ones I've ended up with and I really don't need more...

The first one is the general look that I like in a straight razor. I like the bolster on the second one. It has a blade that is a little narrower than I generally prefer but the price was right and I always liked that look as well and I guess I was just in the mood to buy a couple of straights.

I hadn't bought any in a year or so and was pretty much satisfied with what I already have but this "shelter in place" stuff is getting to me and I felt the need to buy something. :)

Very nice. I cant keep so few. For me it has become a collection that is functional. I love the history and just the razors themselves.

Recently bought a Wacker Chevalier. Still hasn't shipped due to international difficulties, but they sent me this lovely photo. Definitely the darkest horn scales I've ever seen on a razor. They're pitch black!View attachment 1090212
It is a very beautiful (the most beautiful?) razor and the spine is one of a kind.
is the general look that I like in a straight razor. I like the bolster on the second one. It has a blade that is a little narrower than I generally prefer but the price was right and I always liked that look as well and I guess I was just in the mood to buy a couple of straights.

... I like narrow blades :em2400:

Unexpectedly came into several dozen dollars (something that had been sitting on eBay finally sold) so what did I do?
Went and found a straight razor that I could plow the money into. Le Grelot “Roi Soleil.”
Probably will take a while to get here as it’s coming from France.
We’ll see how she (I mean, “he”) cleans up upon arrival.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ve been razor gambling on eBay again - and loving every minute of it as Maxwell Smart said. Sometimes I win big, sometimes I lose, and some times like this one, I do OK. So here’s another one for Arne @Polarbeard since he likes the MK 31 - this one is actually a MK 32 that likely started life as a 6/8 but is now about 1/32” less with light hone wear.

The seller’s images were bad but the description said that everything was in good shape, and 30-day returns were offered if you were willing to pay return shipping. This is probably a dresser-top set, I cannot imagine traveling with it in period luggage, the brush and razor would fall out, not to mention breakage. The description included a C. V. Heljestrand MK 32 with scales that ‘might be ivory’. The actual condition could not be determined from the images. So I rolled the dice and did well enough I suppose. Everything was dirty, but nothing was broken or even chipped. The scales are very pretty ivory and in excellent condition. The brush appears to be a dyed boar and it’s shedding a bit, but it‘s likely near 100 years old. Still usable at this point but it’s more of a conversation set piece I think.

The razor cleaned up and honed up well, taking a fine edge as Swedish razors are known to do. It was apparently one of a 7-day set, and I would like to have the other 6!

It’s a nice period piece in good condition, and I may just use it to see what the old days were like, though I may pass on the brush which probably has never been used and smells a little ‘piggy’.

B5C8030E-8F36-4E5B-85FF-55035436EDEA.jpeg
C8D1B35F-DF59-462D-9EDB-4C8527EF9258.jpeg
A5658D00-2D82-47E9-9671-FC0D1EAF5235.jpeg
789E85D2-3E50-475D-8779-ED562D94B598.jpeg
EE3CFE42-B4C4-4338-B1CE-2BD071D9BB69.jpeg

Top Bottom