What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Great deal from some early morning browsing on the bay. Early Shumate before they moved to St. Louis in 1904. Amazing condition. Only $25 with free shipping.

D0AE2E4E-0CD5-463F-BC1F-873770704E9A.jpeg

55612A24-6FD8-4CE4-BEF3-8DE022903FCD.jpeg

A friend sold me these 6/8 Le Grelot 355. Now I need to find a proper dresser case for them!

Even if that is not a perfectly matched set, my SR envy may go nuclear. So nice! Rings my bell!

On the other hand, I have given my RSF SRAD free rein, so I have no excuse for jealousy. Out of the box today:

Gustave LaLune Veni Vidi Vici 6/8, by Ertan Süer
Forges Foréziennes 100C6 steel, Rasoir Sabre France proprietary blank
'Snake' file work on the spine, bocote scales
3FE8DB6B-392A-4EC8-B5E2-785806A5DA34.jpeg

1F56A080-9B4C-4E9F-92FE-B2027DD5EBF1.jpeg

177482FD-5BEB-4D11-802D-1780F11A1A5E.jpeg

I just got this Bausch and Lomb Optical Co. razor in the mail today which was made in Germany. Unlike any other straight that I have seen before it is almost perfect wedge on one side and half hollow on the other. Look at the shoulders, one side has a single shoulder and the other side none at all.

Is this something that anyone is familiar with? I have a Japanese folding western style straight that is ground like a traditional kamisori, but even the asymmetrical side is hollowed out to some extent.

If you are familiar with this kind of grind, please enlighten me as I have not seen it before.

BL1.jpg
BL3.jpg
BL9.jpg
BL7.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Pulled the trigger on my first Sheffield today...Bengall with a broken scale but a decent looking blade that I scored for 25 bucks.

Can't wait for it to arrive!
If the blade is in reasonably good nick, I don't think that you'll be disappointed. My Bengalls (8, including one out on loan to @aussie) shave very well.

If the blade is in reasonably good nick, I don't think that you'll be disappointed. My Bengalls (8, including one out on loan to @aussie) shave very well.
Screenshot_20220708-215318_Adblock Browser.jpg

This is the photo of it.
Other pics seem to support decent condition for resto.
Scale on the other side is broken through the hinge pin, but I'll be able to use the unbroken one as a pattern.

That's a fair price. I have two of them and they shave very well - a tribute to "Made in America"!

For some reason American razors are almost in a sense forgotten about so the prices are very low for what one gets. I bagged two other razors for the same price as the Shumate or less, one being a very interesting Union Cutlery blade made with Universal Steel Company Cyclops-K No Stain Steel. Interesting write up here:

And furthermore...

Next out of the box and about to shave is the Rasoir Sabre France 'Express Train' 5/8. Dare I note that the Orient Express linked Paris and Istanbul with inaugural service in 1883? Might be some trademark issue?
6F889A8D-8015-4EFC-A12C-E7BEA908D910.jpeg

Olivewood scales
C115CRV silver steel from Solingen
Half hollow
Round (dutch) tip
... and beautifully boxed, but you can stash that box away and use the gorgeous brown finest french cowhide sheath, artfully disguised as ostrich, or some such.

Le Thillot in the Hautes Vosges mountains is graced by Ertan Süer's industry and artistry. While I am primarily a 6/8 guy, I was willing to go off the rails. This razor comprehensively features his commitment to the connection between Turkey and western Europe, to the golden age of rail, and to the razor design traditions of Germany and France, especially Solingen and Thiers.

Plus my RSF Legend Köroğlu 5/8 with Solingen steel and half hollow grind is an excellent razor.
Grind comparison, LK left, ET right
234C0D4B-FCD5-4067-9474-3BF2DBDEAB5E.jpeg

To my eye, as I think is visible in the photo, the Express Train sports a fuller grind than the Legend Köroğlu, while not quite a singing grind.

Nuff said. Time to strop and shave.

I just got this Bausch and Lomb Optical Co. razor in the mail today which was made in Germany. Unlike any other straight that I have seen before it is almost perfect wedge on one side and half hollow on the other. Look at the shoulders, one side has a single shoulder and the other side none at all.

Is this something that anyone is familiar with? I have a Japanese folding western style straight that is ground like a traditional kamisori, but even the asymmetrical side is hollowed out to some extent.

If you are familiar with this kind of grind, please enlighten me as I have not seen it before.

View attachment 1484542View attachment 1484543View attachment 1484544View attachment 1484545

I do believe that your razor was used on me for the very first Lasik procedure lol!

I do believe that your razor was used on me for the very first Lasik procedure lol!

Ouch!!

BTW, that was a nice member interview, Titleist. As far as Bing goes, I'm all about the crooning and the acting, less about the pipe and clubs. My golf is all about the company I keep, which might explain my typical card at the end of a round. Hey, my 19th hole is always an eagle.

Ouch!!

BTW, that was a nice member interview, Titleist. As far as Bing goes, I'm all about the crooning and the acting, less about the pipe and clubs. My golf is all about the company I keep, which might explain my typical card at the end of a round. Hey, my 19th hole is always an eagle.

You sound like my perfect Golf Partner! Thank you for the kind words regarding the interview.

Frank

Top Bottom