What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Wonder what @SparkyLB will say after seeing these photos!

Beautiful Straight Razor.

My take is @SparkyLB should take his list out of the bucket and get a Chevalier. I don't think Wackers are going to get more abundant any time soon.

I guess I'm glad I have been avoiding the BST. If I had pounced on that @haggis Barbier's Bride I probably would have passed on the Chevalier. General rule: anything haggis lets go is probably too good for the likes of a low-down tanuki.

That is a thing of beauty, Tanuki. If memory serves, that was #2 or #9 on TSS? Maybe neither, but I've seen it. That bone spoke to me, too. Use it in good health! Let us all know how it shaves.

A "low-down Tanuki." You're too much. LOL.

If you bought it, it's yours.

Rule #1 about Barbier's Bride, "We don't talk about Barbier's Bride." Even now that she's wed.

:)

Let me inhale deeply and repeat my mantra: "I'm good on blades."

My fault, bought too much this month, walked into an antique shop this morning and there were 3 straights, quite proud that I only bought the one.
Joseph Rodgers and sons star and cross, needs a good clean up etc, but otherwise it looks ok.

Attachments

• PXL_20220711_135409465.jpg
    PXL_20220711_135409465.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220711_135354124.jpg
    PXL_20220711_135354124.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
My fault, bought too much this month, walked into an antique shop this morning and there were 3 straights, quite proud that I only bought the one.
Joseph Rodgers and sons star and cross, needs a good clean up etc, but otherwise it looks ok.
I see how that worked... the next time you are there, the other two will be at the checkout for you and lady will look straight at you and say "these are your items too right?" :wacko:

First couple of 4 American razor purchases from the bay. Look unused/lightly used. Factory honewear only. Edges have slight damage but nothing that won’t come out. The Shumate is in especially nice condition to say it must be about 118 years old. (Shumate moved from TX to St Louis, MO in 1904). Tissue paper thin grind so I’ll likely be moving it on after restoration.

The Union razor is pretty unique for the steel. Developed by what was the Cyclops Steel Company (renamed Universal-Cyclops Steel Corporation after it’s merger with Universal Rolling Mill Company in 1935). Cyclops - K was one of their most renowned products alongside alloy No. 17; developed by metallurgist Charles T. Evans, it was used in a diverse range of items from propellers to Diesel engines. Might be a keeper (I love Union razors).

43EADC78-F147-49E4-9BDB-1D6C5FF0B9D4.jpeg

F04721C9-1AA9-4CF9-8F4F-61633856D7F0.jpeg
942D1369-6F25-48BA-8424-6F7CE22755EC.jpeg
B4B15BC8-B29A-47E9-82D3-FE1485EFB6E1.jpeg

BB430730-3F9C-49D0-B373-6BA44B2E189E.jpeg

F8662618-2C00-433D-86D8-5E4A04FE390E.jpeg
94C403C1-2011-465F-982B-480CB244906B.jpeg

20E9982C-0BA7-4FD1-ACD0-8454AD1FA767.jpeg

The Union razor is pretty unique for the steel. Developed by what was the Cyclops Steel Company (renamed Universal-Cyclops Steel Corporation after it’s merger with Universal Rolling Mill Company in 1935). Cyclops - K was one of their most renowned products alongside alloy No. 17; developed by metallurgist Charles T. Evans, it was used in a diverse range of items from propellers to Diesel engines. Might be a keeper (I love Union razors).

I followed your Cyclops link, thanks for that!

My guess is that your particular razor was meant to promote Cyclops K steel.

Do you have a date for the Union Cutlery move from Olean to Moravia?

I followed your Cyclops link, thanks for that!

My guess is that your particular razor was meant to promote Cyclops K steel.

Do you have a date for the Union Cutlery move from Olean to Moravia?

No idea on the exact date, I did a bit of googling though and found an index of trademarks issued from the USPTO in 1954. Union Cutlery Co, Olean, NY is listed but as a trademark of the American Hone Co which was based in Moravia. The company that was Union eventually became Ka-Bar which is still in NY afaik. It seems on the face of it that the Union name was simply sold off to A.M Hone Co and it wasn’t a move in the way we’d imagine, the razors might still have been ground in Olean but stamped with the new company HQ.

Last edited:
Oops I did it again… Bengall #4

B2C15CC2-EFB8-4F18-A2F2-DE807194D9DE.jpeg

80588EED-4F49-4CC9-B404-163EE7AB9F29.jpeg

This was my cheapest one yet. They were practically giving it away in account of the surface rust. I’m pretty confident that I can get it cleaned up though. Apart from the rust it appears to have good bones. The business end looks clean enough.

Unless someone has a better idea, I plan to attack it with a brass brush, steel wool, 1200 WD and some polish. A small electrolysis setup would be ideal but I haven’t got that. Let’s see how we go.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Oops I did it again… Bengall #4

View attachment 1487139

View attachment 1487140

This was my cheapest one yet. They were practically giving it away in account of the surface rust. I’m pretty confident that I can get it cleaned up though. Apart from the rust it appears to have good bones. The business end looks clean enough.

Unless someone has a better idea, I plan to attack it with a brass brush, steel wool, 1200 WD and some polish. A small electrolysis setup would be ideal but I haven’t got that. Let’s see how we go.
I would stick to a paper progression. Assuming you don't care about removing all the pitting, start with 400 to knock the rust off, 600, 1000, 1500, polish.

There will still be some dark marks where that heavy rust is, but it will just be cosmetic.

A brush and steel wool will introduce crazy random scratches that 1200 paper probably won't be able to remove.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A fiberglass brush can be useful to clean out pitting, they’re cheap. Surprisingly, if you push too hard they can scratch razor steel, so go slow.

I would stick to a paper progression. Assuming you don't care about removing all the pitting, start with 400 to knock the rust off, 600, 1000, 1500, polish.

There will still be some dark marks where that heavy rust is, but it will just be cosmetic.

A brush and steel wool will introduce crazy random scratches that 1200 paper probably won't be able to remove.
Thanks for the tip. I have a stock of silica carbide sandpaper from 280 up to 1200 grit. After that I have aluminum oxide film from 30 to 1 micron. I also have diamond paste from 5 to 0.1 micron. That should get her done.

Not too worried about cosmetics. Some of the rust is pretty deep. She’s never going to be a beauty queen but I think she’ll shave ok. For $25 I thought it would be a fun project.

Top Bottom