What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

This came yesterday. Torrey. Like new, and shave ready (too bad I shaved yesterday!)

Torrey.jpg

Just brought home my first straight! Bought locally and looks to be in great shape! I think I will be sending it away to get sharpened so that I know it will be shave ready before I make my first attempt at a straight shave. I have time as I am awaiting my new strop to arrive as well...
Thanks to third of you that offered feedback on my previous post regarding this straight!!!

Here are a few pics!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just brought home my first straight! Bought locally and looks to be in great shape! I think I will be sending it away to get sharpened so that I know it will be shave ready before I make my first attempt at a straight shave. I have time as I am awaiting my new strop to arrive as well...
Thanks to third of you that offered feedback on my previous post regarding this straight!!!

Here are a few pics!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As very good choice for a first razor.

I blame most of you!! I did not need this, but I'm glad I joined your group of "shavers". I'll try to make this short......

Few years back, I still thought that one can buy a new SR on the Bay, and shave with it. So I ordered one,....."Kissaki" made of "high speed German steel" (whatever that is, I didn't know at the time). At that time my Dad's Solingen "Guarantie" worked well, but I was in the mood for something more "modern". Well,.....this "Kissaki" was FAR, (far, far) away from Solingen in all respects, but it was a good looking blade. Needless to say, I never used it.

After I joined this forum, I begged you all to help me re-pin another razor I acquired, that had a bad pivot pin. Alan was kind enough to offer his service, and fixed that for me. Then I started buying more razors, and inevitably I got some duds (bad scales, bad blades, bad pins.....). In short, I decided to learn how to pin/hone, and not bother anyone (y'all created a monster!!). I remembered the Kisaaki laying in some drawer, and the blade on Globusmen was junk.......I went to work on the idea this morning. It took about three hours from start to finish, and.......

Now,...for your viewing pleasure,.....Kissaki blade, married to Globusmen scales. Just finished honing the blade (hard steel!!), and putting it together. It shaves well, and it looks GREAT (to my eyes anyway)! Hope you like it.
K1.jpg
K2.jpg

While not nearly as exotic as many of the razors in this thread this should make a good shaver after cleanup and honing.

proxy.php

Hmmmmm I don't know about that, But I can say it is a fantastic razor and in my top ten all my DD's are I have not seen a bad one yet. Oh wait yes I have I bought a duff Wonderedge, just for the inlays of the scales to transplant....

But that's not the point the point is your going to love the shaves from that Goldedge that's for sure......

18D34C9F-A4AD-4A35-B0D3-AFFBDE8CA5B9.jpeg

Just in, an African Blackwood, High Carbon, Ralf Aust, 6/8” round point.

This razor brings me one step closer to completing a natural, B&W set that I’ve been working on. It’s counterpart is a Natural White, Stainless Steel, Ralf Aust, 6/8” round point. A custom order made with a set of NOS vintage Heljestrand MK32 scales that I was lucky enough to acquire from a chap in Eskilstuna. The scales had never been fixed to a razor and are immaculate.

The set will have a ying yang kind of theme, similar but opposite. Stainless and high carbon steel. Jimps and no jimps. Animal and plant. Light and dark.

The next step will be to add the corresponding natural finishers and create a nice display box. I am thinking of going with Black Arkansas and Natural Combo Coticule for the finishers. The colours are perfect and the stones fit the narrative. My sharpest and smoothest natural finisher. Old world and new world quarries. I am thinking of either 6x2” or 8x2” for the stone size. Custom stones cut to the divide proportion would be better. I may speak to the mines to see if this is possible.

This is intended more as a collectors or heirloom set. The idea is to display the best of the current production razors and stones. Like a time capsule for the future. I plan to use the set on occasion to help create a link to the ancient past at the start of the second millennium. Maybe for sunrise and sunset shaves on the solar solstices.

89A9101D-B87B-4349-BEFB-FE31BC28EC5F.jpeg

817B8E8E-5C51-4919-8414-E5CCB4DE7902.jpeg

528FA6DE-2437-4A29-ADCB-42A87C8EE07F.jpeg

270D7DF1-DA78-4009-A18F-0A7FD4ECA994.jpeg

Attachments

• A2E6EB40-06C0-44BA-B2CD-5C887BF3DD78.jpeg
    A2E6EB40-06C0-44BA-B2CD-5C887BF3DD78.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 5
  • 8FBEA696-113F-4ED0-9130-E1A3C0FBAB1D.jpeg
    8FBEA696-113F-4ED0-9130-E1A3C0FBAB1D.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
View attachment 1206003

Just in, an African Blackwood, High Carbon, Ralf Aust, 6/8” round point.

This razor brings me one step closer to completing a natural, B&W set that I’ve been working on. It’s counterpart is a Natural White, Stainless Steel, Ralf Aust, 6/8” round point. A custom order made with a set of NOS vintage Heljestrand MK32 scales that I was lucky enough to acquire from a chap in Eskilstuna. The scales had never been fixed to a razor and are immaculate.

The set will have a ying yang kind of theme, similar but opposite. Stainless and high carbon steel. Jimps and no jimps. Animal and plant. Light and dark.

The next step will be to add the corresponding natural finishers and create a nice display box. I am thinking of going with Black Arkansas and Natural Combo Coticule for the finishers. The colours are perfect and the stones fit the narrative. My sharpest and smoothest natural finisher. Old world and new world quarries. I am thinking of either 6x2” or 8x2” for the stone size. Custom stones cut to the divide proportion would be better. I may speak to the mines to see if this is possible.

This is intended more as a collectors or heirloom set. The idea is to display the best of the current production razors and stones. Like a time capsule for the future. I plan to use the set on occasion to help create a link to the ancient past at the start of the second millennium. Maybe for sunrise and sunset shaves on the solar solstices. That would help to add to the voodoo.

View attachment 1206008
View attachment 1206009
View attachment 1206010
View attachment 1206011

Thats neat!

Vr

Matt

I got three new ones over the holidays. I plan to post one each day for the next three days, so here is 1 of 3. Wacker All-Round 6/8 inch with (muted) square point, single shoulder and buffalo horn scales.

Excellent workmanship. Thin, even grind with a thin belly. Sharp, smooth shave. Good size razor. Just be advised that the scales are on the larger size.

I am really glad I bought this razor!

20210108_150733449_iOS.jpg

Here is new razor 2 of 3 - inspired by @camoloc. Dovo Barbarossa 5/8 inch carbon steel shorty with Spanish point, no stabilizers and olive wood scales. This model should not be confused with the stainless Barbarossa with a double shoulder and ebony scales.

My first factory-sealed razor. Good workmanship. Thin, even grind with a thin belly. My only criticism is that the olive wood scales are on the lighter side in terms of weight. I would have preferred the more dense ebony, but ebony is not available in the carbon steel.

At first I had a little trouble maneuvering the blade with both my index and middle fingers on the tang but once I switched to just putting my index finger on the tang it was smooth sailing.

Bottom line is I am very happy with this fun little razor whose shorter size reminds me of my Feather Artist Club - as well as the overall quality from Dovo for this price point. In fact, I just broke the seal, stropped the razor, and enjoyed a sharp, smooth edge. If you are looking for a new shorty that won't break the bank, this is an excellent choice.

And more on the quality of Dovo's new razors tomorrow (hint).

20210108_150757009_iOS.jpg

Top Bottom