What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

congrats!!!

now hit it on a 12k then a Jnat you will be golden. Word of advice, i waited way to long to start improving the edge on mine.

good solid piece that would work well as a traveler.

camo

Here is new razor 2 of 3 - inspired by @camoloc.

Bottom line is I am very happy with this fun little razor whose shorter size reminds me of my Feather Artist Club - as well as the overall quality from Dovo for this price point. In fact, I just broke the seal, stropped the razor, and enjoyed a sharp, smooth edge. If you are looking for a new shorty that won't break the bank, this is an excellent choice.

View attachment 1206229

If you get a chance can you give me the length of the cutting edge?

Is this clear, @JohnN?

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_6432.jpg
    IMG_6432.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 10
Santa came late, but finally showed up today with two packages: A Japanese Rosette R.S S.O by Ribbon and a Kinfolks Blue Steel Special, both in pristine condition. The Rosette has a short 2-1/4 inch edge. I have been forever looking for a shorter blade for outlining my beard. The Rosette was finished on a jnat and is shave ready. I have also been looking for a quality American razor and this Kinfolks is a great addition. The Kinfolks needs to be honed but appears to have no spine wear.

two.jpg

I had thought that my acquisitions were done in mid-December, but two more recent purchases. Really, now I’m done for awhile!

The first George W. Korn, is driven by an interest in history of razors, A German immigrant, he had a factory in Little Valley NY when it was the center of US razor production in the early 20th century. It is a 5/8” square point full (extra?) hollow. The one is cleaned up now, just need to hone. My first Little Valley razor.

The second was driven by a picture recently posted by another B&B member. I thought ”cool razor” and did an eBay search which led to a purchase. This just arrived today - still need to clean up the blade - mostly good shape, but one big spot with hints of rust in it. Klas Tornblom 5/8” barbers notch shoulderless extra hollow. My first Swedish razor! Pretty cool scales as well, though I tend to focus more on the blade than the scales.
A105ECC4-D036-45CE-ACA8-0802C310AD5C.jpeg
028A4C9E-60D9-4A09-B2B7-1BEC7C9C7687.jpeg

View attachment 1206003

Just in, an African Blackwood, High Carbon, Ralf Aust, 6/8” round point.

This razor brings me one step closer to completing a natural, B&W set that I’ve been working on. It’s counterpart is a Natural White, Stainless Steel, Ralf Aust, 6/8” round point. A custom order made with a set of NOS vintage Heljestrand MK32 scales that I was lucky enough to acquire from a chap in Eskilstuna. The scales had never been fixed to a razor and are immaculate.

The set will have a ying yang kind of theme, similar but opposite. Stainless and high carbon steel. Jimps and no jimps. Animal and plant. Light and dark.

The next step will be to add the corresponding natural finishers and create a nice display box. I am thinking of going with Black Arkansas and Natural Combo Coticule for the finishers. The colours are perfect and the stones fit the narrative. My sharpest and smoothest natural finisher. Old world and new world quarries. I am thinking of either 6x2” or 8x2” for the stone size. Custom stones cut to the divide proportion would be better. I may speak to the mines to see if this is possible.

This is intended more as a collectors or heirloom set. The idea is to display the best of the current production razors and stones. Like a time capsule for the future. I plan to use the set on occasion to help create a link to the ancient past at the start of the second millennium. Maybe for sunrise and sunset shaves on the solar solstices.

View attachment 1206008
View attachment 1206009
View attachment 1206010
View attachment 1206011

What a cool idea with a nice set of razors!! That coticule (if I am correct) is a hell of a beast!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New razor 3 of 3. Dovo Bergischer Lowe 6/8 inch with Spanish point, thumb notch, wafer-thin grind, and ebony wood scales.

My second factory-sealed razor. Excellent workmanship. Wafer thin, even grind with a thin belly. I now have straights with horn, wood and plastic scales, and (like brushes) I seem to have a preference for wood scales. I love the size, weight and balance of this razor (fits like a glove). Exceeds my expectations both in general and for the sale price that I paid.

I am normally not a big fan of decoration and I realize that Dovo is focusing on the aesthetic with this razor (and, yes, I would probably prefer a simpler blade with a stamped tang). But in this case, I have decided to just throw caution to the wind and enjoy the engraving, gold-plating, and the great shaves I am getting from this razor.

If you want to experience a quality, new razor that feels like a Dovo Bismarck with a wafer-thin grind, you should consider this razor.

20210108_150813422_iOS.jpg

Hart arrived today as did my WK Entropy Man. absolutely love the scent I think.....if my snoofer is working somewhat. Frankincense and Plum.

the Hart was NOS and is a solid blade I like very much. the only criticism I can offer would be the screw pin. it works loose while manipulating the razor.....so I naturally did what seemed natural to me. a prompt application of Blue Threadlocker to resolve the issue.

20210113_172634.jpg

1/4 hollow Bruce Gregory.

be well all.

camo

I had to grab this razor as I was born in the Waterloo, Ontario hospital.
Straight razor was used at the White Star Barber Shop in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
White Star Barber Shop was in business for over 80 years.

Carbo-Magnetic “Griffon”
49A060A1-7FC1-4979-84CC-11D2BC08BD30.jpeg

...and the blade really is magnetized
C4A01BB1-CCF6-49F2-8F5B-9471B1B15373.jpeg

Jacob Conrad and Jacob Janzen standing in front of hardware store
E738C259-0885-4D5C-8DFC-10C0982F1B96.jpeg

This one is making its encore performance here. I want to sincerely thank Alfiecat2816 for accepting my offer on this beauty! I just gave it a basic cleanup with 0000 steel wool and flitz, dawn and a toothbrush. Just need to tighten the pivot slightly, hone it and she's ready to roll. And yes, the scales are as suspected.

20210114_223140.jpg

20210114_223445.jpg

Have searched with little success for info on this interesting Wade & Butcher straight razor. Covered tang caught my eye for sure. Thoughts on date of manufacturing? The blade is marked Keen Shaver but the box reads The Arrow Shaver which may be a more general description inasmuch as W&B has an arrow as part of the logo(?). Haven’t seen many like this on my search efforts.

View attachment 1189173View attachment 1189174View attachment 1189175View attachment 1189176View attachment 1189177View attachment 1189178

This one is making its encore performance here. I want to sincerely thank Alfiecat2816 for accepting my offer on this beauty! I just gave it a basic cleanup with 0000 steel wool and flitz, dawn and a toothbrush. Just need to tighten the pivot slightly, hone it and she's ready to roll. And yes, the scales are as suspected.

View attachment 1208723

View attachment 1208724

Glad she found a new home. Enjoy my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom