What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Today I acquired a large Sheffield razor from a local antique store.
IMG_20190909_222414531.jpg

The maker is Abraham Leon, and I can find very little on the internet about the company except that it was in operation from the mid to late 1800's. I previously posted pictures of it from the store, but now I've taken some with measurements. I estimated the blade to be 9/8 when I first held it. It may have started there, but now it's about 17/16 and nearly 5/16 thick!
IMG_20190909_222220669.jpg

IMG_20190909_222553496.jpg

Believe it or not, the scales are made of leather. They're as useless as you might imagine! You can see them in this picture that shows the grind, which I believe to be a near wedge.
IMG_20190909_222659270.jpg

I'm real excited about it! The next step is figuring out how to get some nice scales for a razor this big!

Command No. 68 (Tanifuji)...finding the stylized script inlay on its scales very appealing:

View attachment 1013781
What a beauty.

I scored this one in a local flea market.

I left the oil on for the pic I realise now:). Some rust and damage, but it might have been unused. Anyway honed up quite easily on a coticule with very little work on the 1k chosera for the bevel and is the easiest razor to shave with that I have owned so far, but not the best result (yet).

mk 32 in Ivory, looks to be very good condition. Would say I got a very fair deal on it, happy to finally have this razor with ivory in the collection
Capture.PNG

This beautiful NOS razor came in today. I was actually able to hone this no problem on the Shapton 1k. Naniwa 3k. And then Shapton 12k. Stroped on the kanayama 70000. It's popping hair on arm like no tomorrow. So gonna shave tomorrow with it and see how I did.

20190913_180125.jpg
20190913_180154.jpg
20190913_180137.jpg
20190913_180215.jpg

Beautiful Aust. So many people love these razors and I should pick one up. There is a nice photo essay about him on Maggard's web site.
Well Richard there's a reason as to why I often refer to him as "the uncrowned king of Solingen". I've got a 5/8, a 6/8 and a 7/8. I recall that you've got a Friodur No.17 it's very reminiscent of Aust's 7/8 so I'd recommend the Aust 6/8 thumb notch razor.
mk 32 in Ivory, looks to be very good condition. Would say I got a very fair deal on it, happy to finally have this razor with ivory in the collection
View attachment 1016617
To me it seems to be NOS. Congratulations to a great razor.

View attachment 1016756 View attachment 1016757 View attachment 1016758 Today is the day. Just got this delivered to my front door. I am happy to have this addition to my collection. :a29:
That's a very beautiful razor. congratulations.:001_smile

Well Richard there's a reason as to why I often refer to him as "the uncrowned king of Solingen". I've got a 5/8, a 6/8 and a 7/8. I recall that you've got a Friodur No.17 it's very reminiscent of Aust's 7/8 so I'd recommend the Aust 6/8 thumb notch razor.

To me it seems to be NOS. Congratulations to a great razor.

That's a very beautiful razor. congratulations.:001_smile

Thanks Polarbear, the razor came in a few days ago in amazing condition. I am not sure if it was nos (small rust spot on back of the bevel my guess from being used but might be wrong) but if it was used it was very little. Was able to drop it to 1k for few strokes to remove the rust. Planning on putting my Kiita jnat edge on it later this weekend and adding it to the rotation. Cheers

Picked up this J. A. Henckels Friodur from online auction. I don't see any signs of use. It would ping some arm hairs right out of the box. Think I will just sanitize it, strop it, and see how it shaves.

Henckels pic.jpg

Top Bottom