What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Not sure I should be posting this one just yet as I'm not 100% sure I will keep it. Maybe recent acquisition of Thiers Issard and Ralf Aust spoiled me a bit. This one is nice looking but in person just not quite "love at first sight" situation. Couple of minor imperfections that are totally not a big deal, but to me (granted I can be a bit OCD sometimes) brand new razor should be perfect. Perhaps some of you can convince me I'm wrong and it's worth keeping. Either way I'll have to think about this one.

Doesn't seem to be shave ready, so it would be a while before I can try it, if I decide to keep it that is.

View attachment 931816

They're made by a Turkish guy called Ertan Suer who lived in France and operated a site from there but has now moved his business to Turkey. Whispers on another forum suggest there was a tussle with Thiers Issard over ownership of the Le Grelot name - not sure how that panned out but that's possibly irrelevant because I've heard very good feedback on these razors too (haven't tried one myself but have ordered other stuff from Ertan - excellent service - when he was in France).

I own several vintage Let Grelot razors but I know nothing about the new ones that have turned up the last year, except that many of them are beautiful. A very knowledgeable French member (with the without doubt finest razor collection in the world) wrote that they aren't made by Thiers Issard. Your very beautiful razor are one of the new ones. I've seen it before. I hope you'll keep it and pass on your first impressions of it.

I must stop surfing on the internet. In the hunt for ONE razor to be a Christmas gift from my son to me I so far have received ONE Wacker in the mail and I am waiting for THREE new Thiers Issard and ONE very rare Heljestrand to be delivered. That makes FIVE. I am truly ashamed of myself. What kind of father spends more money on his own Christmas gifts than on his son's? To relieve myself of some guilt I'll most likely go out today and buy the polar bear cub something expensive he has said that he'd appreciate very much but think cost too much. So in the end we might end up in a spoilt father, a spoilt son and way too large expenses. I guess that I might end up being the best shaved man in the poor house.

Arne, repeat after me: "They're an investment". I'm curious about the rare Heljestrand you bagged. Not that #22 I missed? :)

Great photo (and razor)

C.V. Heljestrand MK No. 10, 6/8+ 1/2-hollow

View attachment 932148

Just beautiful!

RigaRazor 8/8 (tungsten) just came in:

proxy.php

Last edited:

Beautiful (and a bit intimidating) looking razor.

Also, thanks for additional info on Le Grelot, maybe mine is a result of that "..tussle with Thiers Issard over ownership..." period, or, perhaps it was just sanded, pinned and inspected on Friday afternoon just before company's TGIF party. :D :D :D

just arrived a dovo special. my first. (not counting dovo shavette)

i'd rate her at at 9/10

from a California pawn shop by way of ebay

it appears to be a newer one, with blue box gold sticker

a few very light spots of tarnish

bevel appears good, no nicks, however i can see it will need some work to get her to pass HHT.

i have a feeling it scared some California hipster, and ended up in a pawn shop

their loss my gain, i feel like i stole it @ $57

(i'll edit and and pic later)

They're made by a Turkish guy called Ertan Suer who lived in France and operated a site from there but has now moved his business to Turkey. Whispers on another forum suggest there was a tussle with Thiers Issard over ownership of the Le Grelot name - not sure how that panned out but that's possibly irrelevant because I've heard very good feedback on these razors too (haven't tried one myself but have ordered other stuff from Ertan - excellent service - when he was in France).

Arne, repeat after me: "They're an investment". I'm curious about the rare Heljestrand you bagged. Not that #22 I missed? :)

Great photo (and razor)

Just beautiful!

proxy.php
It says 22 on the tang.

Good day everyone,

Having enjoyed wet shaving for several years now, I figured it was about time I tried out a straight razor.

I purchased a Ralf Aust 5/8 with cocobolo scales. I am still learning but so far to good!
4bf2e912-d9d2-41a0-a09c-f44f06996e0c.jpg

I purchased a Ralf Aust 5/8 with cocobolo scales. I am still learning but so far to good!

Nice one, have fun with it, but that's a great "first razor".

Everyone kept raving about Aust, so I just had to try one, and I must say, even after having high expectations, I'm quite impressed with it, great razor.

Good day everyone,

Having enjoyed wet shaving for several years now, I figured it was about time I tried out a straight razor.

I purchased a Ralf Aust 5/8 with cocobolo scales. I am still learning but so far to good!View attachment 933874
Gorgeous. I just recently got my first RA and am loving it! I haven't used anything else since then. Good luck to you.

Top Bottom