What's new

Souplex Owners Club

Any experience fixing up bakelite razors? I'm wondering what the best adhesive is for a job like this

I usually use standard Loctite power gel on Bakelite. You only need a tiny amount for a nice fast, strong bond.
Although this is on parts that don't interact with blade geometry, a thinner super glue (the ones that come with a small brush applicator) might be a little better for gluing back the guard. You only want a super thin layer.

Learning to use a lightweight aggressive razor with a recently repaired mild side isn't ideal.

Another run out for the "Combless" today
IMG_20240506_073527820_HDR.jpg

This was much, much better. I loosened the handle a quarter of a turn and was rewarded with much better blade feel, which I like, but still a very safe and utterly smooth 3 pass shave. The GSB also seemed to work a treat.

All in all, a very satisfying close comfortable combless experience!

^ That Combless is in such good condition, wish they were more common :001_tt2:

I managed to get a Knockout! (National, Fuluse, Nelson)
PXL_20240504_160313769~2.jpg

Souplex UF ivory is such a lovely material/colour. Shame they didn't do other UF colours.

Cal posted a cool bit of history in this sotd thread.
I had always assumed it was Souplex filling a void left by Laurel after it was bombed in 1940 (they did so many brand razors)

But check out this Fuluse deluxe blade with 4 corner holes (~1938 ad)
Screenshot_20240504-174722.jpg

The patent is from Dominion steel corporation ltd. It was largely designed to fit razors with 4 corner projections and was filed in November 1934, seven months after Souplex filed the patent for a razor with... 4 corner projections.

I bet Cooper & Sons sold Fuluse brand double six razors before the war like Pyrota (wonder if Pyrota DE blades have the same design?)

I don't buy the idea that Cooper's are making the razors (for themselves or Harrison Fisher (Nelson) or Cartledge). They're a metalworkers and blade manufacturer. The only firms with the expertise in plastics at that time are probably United Plastics (who did do some work for Sheffield razor firms at the time) and Souplex. The fact that Souplex went on to produce the identical National points firmly in their direction. In my opinion, of course.

I usually use standard Loctite power gel on Bakelite. You only need a tiny amount for a nice fast, strong bond.
Although this is on parts that don't interact with blade geometry, a thinner super glue (the ones that come with a small brush applicator) might be a little better for gluing back the guard. You only want a super thin layer.

Learning to use a lightweight aggressive razor with a recently repaired mild side isn't ideal.
Fixed it.

I just used a bog standard Evo-Stick Impact instant contact adhesive I had around, was too impatient to mull over it too long. Anyway, after several ales I did the repair last night.

I caught the original casting angle of the guard just fine. Not stunningly pretty but it works. Left it to cure around 22 hours or so.

Razor: Souplex Double Six Minor Mk1 c. Late 1940's
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (4)
Soap: arko!
Brush: Wilko Synthetic 'The Dreadnaught'
AS: Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20240506_220039656.jpg

This was actually my first shave with a bakelite of any description, let alone one with the amazing design characteristics as this Double Six Minor.

It is effectively an adjustable razor, in that you can set the head in two ways prior to the shave. One side will give you an incredibly wide gap, and the other still significantly wide but less insane. In addition it appears that you can choose blade exposure. The asymmetric base plate allows you to have a wide blade gap and an extreme positive blade exposure, wide blade gap and what appears to feel like a less positive blade exposure, or the narrow gap with both exposure options. You just assemble the head according to your requirements. At least this is how I read it first time out.

I chose the wide gap with the less extreme blade exposure and the narrow gap with high. Or rather the razor chose it for me, as I was more concerned that the razor would just survive the shave.

Anyway the first pass WTG was the wide gap. I have always honoured the rule of no pressure somewhat loosely, but this razor rather demanded it, so I just let it skim off the lather from my skin. An incredibly efficient first pass resulted. I also felt almost immediately that this was a very user-friendly design. No nasty tricks up its sleeve, just lovely, and a wonderful face feel too.

The XTG and ATG passes were done with the narrower gap high exposure side. Again, amazingly gentle and responsive considering that it felt like I was just using the blade wrapped up in some tape sometimes.

I think you know when you are using a great razor when you do a sort of insane giggle between passes. I was doing that quite a bit.

All done. A BBS result with no nicks, weepers or drama.

Fantastic shave. This is a brilliant razor!

In my opinion, of course

Yep, Souplex definitely manufacturered the knockout. There's also seems to be a big connection between Souplex and those using Dominion Steel blanks. Interesting stuff.

Fixed it.
Awesome! Glad the repair went well and like the shave :thumbup:
I'm still mastering mine. Currently using the shallow/aggressive side for a wtg pass, then the steep/mild side for a quick xtg. That gets me a super skin friendly dfs.

Gents,

I am applying for preliminary member status. By the power and grace of our dear brother @Lee Van Cleft a package with only goodies came my way today. I was aware of the soap he sent me (although it turned out to be soaps), but little did I know he also managed to sneak a razor in. None other than an open comb Souplex!!! And it is in pristine condition if you ask me. I have a soft spot for English vintage razors and this is of course a wonderful addition!

I am lost for words as well as super excited to be using this gear soon! I will use up my current sample soap so I can finally use this set this weekend! The soap smells divine too by the way!

Thank you so much for this amazing opportunity @Lee Van Cleft !

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Gents,

I am applying for preliminary member status. By the power and grace of our dear brother @Lee Van Cleft a package with only goodies came my way today. I was aware of the soap he sent me (although it turned out to be soaps), but little did I know he also managed to sneak a razor in. None other than an open comb Souplex!!! And it is in pristine condition if you ask me. I have a soft spot for English vintage razors and this is of course a wonderful addition!

I am lost for words as well as super excited to be using this gear soon! I will use up my current sample soap so I can finally use this set this weekend! The soap smells divine too by the way!

Guido, I was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful shave I got on the very first try from the Metal OC Souplex.... What a cool, little razor..... @Alum Ladd got me interested... and that lead to me repurchasing the FBT, getting the Canada Pre-war Tech.... Then came the Canada NEW Regent Long Comb... and the 1934 NEW Short Comb Red and Black... all in short order. LOL

The two NEW razors will end up at Chris' place in Montana tomorrow, along with my birth year 1953 Y2 SuperSpeed and my Bayonetta.... I'm looking forward to opening "that" package in a few weeks.

Gents,

Welcome to my little club @Guido75

As a man of discretion I am sure you will find the Souplex OC one of the finest razors ever made, vintage or modern.

The HWF soap is a nice touch @Lee Van Cleft. An unpretentious real artisan soap, unlike so many on the market nowadays. Mr/Mrs Sheep on the label and the wonderfully unflash packaging pretty much says it all.

The performance is stunning as you will discover.
I was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful shave I got on the very first try from the Metal OC Souplex.... What a cool, little razor
Precisely.

Shaving with a Souplex double six and Paragon Universal blade, sister to the Fuluse Deluxe.

PXL_20240511_191339541~2.jpg

PXL_20240511_191833210~2.jpg

PXL_20240511_191935128~2.jpg

PXL_20240511_191644518~2.jpg

The mighty universal dwarfs other DE blades in length (that old Bic is the only other blade I've got with 'speed' holes :001_tongu)

As expected the shave was a bit rough, like a Derby after 3-4 uses. It feels like the blade could be sharper though, some extra stropping to remove all the old glue would probably help :thumbup:

Top Bottom