What's new

Star 100 Owners Club

They look nice, I'm curious about the Star 100 razors. Do they really shave nicer than one of the better vintage Techs? Why would I choose one instead of a Tech?

Is it true that gave these out to first class passengers on long airplane flights?
They are a sweet razor with good looks.

I only have the lightweight English made PAL version of the 100 design. Unsure if the heavier brass Stars were made and sold here under the PAL branding. I would like to try one of the heavy duty 100's sometime.

My PAL shaves very much like a Tech, on the more efficient end. Sharp blade + a nice steep angle will get you a SSF. Very nice razor, ergonomic handle and enjoyable to use.

I would have one in the collection as a nice example of a serious competitor to the mighty Tech, and as the ASRC's first DE razor as far as I have heard.

Never heard about the airlines giving them out? Sounds like a clever deal back in the day!

Last edited:
Amazing! A PAL 'Traveller' or a ladies razor!?

If the Star/PAL 100 was meant to be a direct competitor to the Gillette Tech, then it is the equivalent of this
proxy.php

Incredible @zoidberg ! The first one I've ever seen. It's English. A PAL i'm pretty sure. Doubt if it's a contemporary knock-off, patent issues, etc. Looks 1950's

I wonder what it was marketed as and how it's case looked?

It looks to be a short handled version of this
View attachment 1645926

I never knew it was such a rare razor! I saw the handle and bought it straight away.

I think it was a ladies razor, sold as a Boots travel kit back in the day. There is a used Boots blade inside, which I am not sure whether it was original with it not.

Here is a picture of the outside
IMG_20230429_153042.jpg

And a picture of the inside

IMG_20230429_153303.jpg

The Razor itself seems to have a brass top cap (I could be wrong) and an aluminium baseplate. I measured both and they seem to be the same thicknesses as my Personna razor.

Which looks like this...

image.jpg

All in all, it was a good week as I also picked this razor up. Which isn't a Star Model 100 but I hope it is ok to post a picture.

IMG_20230427_143538.jpg

I never knew it was such a rare razor! I saw the handle and bought it straight away.

I think it was a ladies razor, sold as a Boots travel kit back in the day. There is a used Boots blade inside, which I am not sure whether it was original with it not.

Here is a picture of the outside
View attachment 1646275
And a picture of the inside

View attachment 1646274
The Razor itself seems to have a brass top cap (I could be wrong) and an aluminium baseplate. I measured both and they seem to be the same thicknesses as my Personna razor.

Which looks like this...

View attachment 1646276

All in all, it was a good week as I also picked this razor up. Which isn't a Star Model 100 but I hope it is ok to post a picture.

View attachment 1646278
That is a great find and would make the perfect travel razor.

I stumbled across a NOS gold Star 100 for a great price, right before I almost bought a nickel plated Star 100 not nearly as nice for basically the same price. It doesn't have the box but has the pack of Star blades and instruction pamphlet that are like new too. I'll get it soon and post a pic. It sounds like a great razor after reading this thread.

Calling fellow Star fans!

I am wondering if any of our members with the heavier Star 100 American models, can take blade gap measurements given time and the availability of feeler guages? Any measuring by owners if you have the time, would be most helpful.

Techs of the mid to late 40's which overlaps the Star's release in 1946, had gaps apparently in the 0.25" - 0.28" range.

It would be informative and interesting for historical purposes if any Star 100 owners could take time to measure their examples.

Any responses would be much appreciated!

I stumbled across a NOS gold Star 100 for a great price, right before I almost bought a nickel plated Star 100 not nearly as nice for basically the same price. It doesn't have the box but has the pack of Star blades and instruction pamphlet that are like new too. I'll get it soon and post a pic. It sounds like a great razor after reading this thread.
Congratulations. Can't wait to see it.

Calling fellow Star fans!

I am wondering if any of our members with the heavier Star 100 American models, can take blade gap measurements given time and the availability of feeler guages? Any measuring by owners if you have the time, would be most helpful.

Techs of the mid to late 40's which overlaps the Star's release in 1946, had gaps apparently in the 0.25" - 0.28" range.

It would be informative and interesting for historical purposes if any Star 100 owners could take time to measure their examples.

Any responses would be much appreciated!
I'll try doing that sometime. I still have feeler gauges in the garage for lawn mower plugs and such. I assume I check the gap with a blade in it? Between the blade and safety bar?

Top Bottom