What's new

SOTD - “Supporting Vendor Week - “Elite Razor” May 16th to, 2022 to May 22nd, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday SOTD
[IMG]

Razor: Gem G- Bar
Blade: Gem PTFE SS (D3)
Brush: VP Leonhardy 680040 24mm
Bowl: Symmetrical Pottery
Pre-Shave Scrub: Holy Black True Grit – Coffee
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Spa
Shave Soap: Scottish Fine
Balm: Proraso White ASB
Aftershave: Fine Platinum

Tuesday 5/17​

• RAZOR: Feather Popular
  • BRUSH: Frank Shaving 24mm synthetic
  • CREAM: Arko cool
  • BLADE: Bic Platinum Chrome
  • POST: Cold water rinse followed by the alum block followed by Aqua Velva AS
On vacation this week so the shaves will be be very basic but I rather enjoy these simple no frills shaves :)
20220517_204906.jpg

SOTD Tuesday May 17, 2022

Relaxing 3 pass DFS shave with my go-to travel razor, the Lord L6. Mike's Natural Shaving Soap, lathers easily producing stable, slick, creamy lather. Smells great. Outstanding performer. Bowl lathered with Frank Shaving G5 brush with soft tips, very good lather generator & painter. Pinaud Clubman compliments this Barber Shop soap. Of course, Pinaud Clubman goes with any soap. A couple of good shaves left in this Wizamet blade. Overall, a Very Good Shave!

IMG_20220517_093100177.jpg

Razor: Lord L6
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (6)
Brush: Frank Shaving G5 Synthetic 24mm
Pre-Shave: CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar, Cremo Classic Shave Cream
Soap: Mike's Barber Shop
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman A/S, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Growth: 46 hours
Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG
Rating: 9.7/10

Wed 18 SOTD
Soap Stirling Orange Chill
Brush Yaqi 22mm Ever-Helpful 2 Band Badger
Razor AC Folding SR
Blade Feather Professional 4th
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + TGS Orange Empire Splash
Nice enough soap with a cooling sensation and a creamy slick lather! The scent is almost gone...
Nice enough shave with the razor and blade pairing. Easy & smooth in 3passes for a dfs+ finish. The aftershaves were good for an oven-hot day...
20220518_102944.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
25EFB441-085A-421F-97B1-C7FBEF4CC5A0.jpeg

1) China: Brush Jack the Barber Synthetic brush.
2) Italy: Shaving Cream Figaro Shaving Cream.
3) Germany: Razor Merkur 34C.
4) Russia: Razor Blade Gillette Nacet.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Germany: Aftershave Balm L’Oréal Men Expert Hydra Power Mountain Water aftershave balm.
7) Spain: EDT Adidas Ice Dive Cologne.

9BA43835-D5D1-461C-BB61-D606602B84E8.jpeg

SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, MAY 18, 2022

This morning I shaved with the first LeCoultre replaceable blade Frameback I acquired. These razors have been mistakenly identified as French. They are actually Swiss, but from the French as opposed to the German part of Switzerland. The LeCoultre family, originally French, settled in Sentier, Switzerland in 1593. Their blacksmithing business got started about a century and a half later by Abraham Joseph I, born in 1711.

His grandson, Jacques, a blacksmith, along with his great grandson, Antoinne, a watchmaker started the replaceable blade straight razor business around 1830. Their unique contribution emerged out of their blacksmithing expertise, allowing for the consistent manufacture of very hard (Rockwell 64), replaceable, tempered steel blades for their razors. By the 1860’s the razors were marketed as luxury items with “blades only requiring sharpening every 10 years”, and were sold in jewelry and very high end cutlery merchants.

Honing them, as a result, turns out not to be a trivial endeavor. This first LeCoultre razor arrived shave ready, requiring only touchups. Honing my second LeCoultre after receiving sage honemeister guidance reminded me of my Klas Tornblom. Setting the bevel on that razor required almost twice the effort as a Sheffield or Solingen steel blade on my 1k Chosera. The resulting edge though was delightfully sharp and buttery smooth. Three slow pleasant mug passes with this first razor put the baby to bed, leaving yours truly velveteen smooth.

Adjustable safety razors, as it turns out are pretty much wasted on me. When I first acquired my Rex Ambassador three years ago, it had some issues. Fortunately, Matt Pisarcik truly does stand by his razors, and remedied the initial issues on his dime thanks to the generous guarantee that comes with every Rex razor. I realized early on in its use that I prefer shaving my dome with it wide open. It is without doubt one of my most efficient safety razors. The two pass ATG noggin shave following my mug endeavor left me velveteen smooth from noggin to neck.

RAZOR: LeCoultre Frameback with No. 2 blade (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T400 with 26mm Silvertip Badger Ferrule
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Canoe Original EdT AS Splash.

shave of day frame.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Cera Ve Hydrating Facial Cleaner
Soap/Cream
Ethos Unscented
Brush
Omega Hi Syn.
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Wolfman WR2 SB 1.05
Blade
Personna Med Prep Blade
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Proraso AS
Fragrance
Mont Blanc
Rating
10/10
Comments
Pulling out my Wolfman razor. I haven’t used this for some time and thought it would be nice to use it again. I loaded it with a Personna Med Prep blade. For me, this razor/blade combo works perfectly. This is the 67th shave with the Ethos unscented soap. A perfect BBS shave – smooth and clean. Have a good one, folks.

Wednesday
Pre-shave: Anthony Glycolic Facial Cleanser /Pinaud Clubman Shave Butter
Razor: Q Shave Futur Clone
Blade: Asco Platinum
Brush: Yaqi High Mountain White
Soap: Proraso White
Aftershave: Alum/Thayer’s Witch Hazel & Aloe Vera/Pinaud Clubman
Balm: Jack Black Clean Break Oil-Free Moisturizer

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, May 18th 2022. Still testing some aggressive razor heads (3) I recently purchased on sale.

Razor : Yaqi slant, Mfg 2019> aggressive range, lots of blade feel, if a person uses a steep or riding the bar approach you can receive some nice shaves. I would recommend using the slant if your technique is matured. Light touch with a short handle (2 3/4 inches)is what like to use. I also used a blade shim under the main blade to reduce any blade chatter and to give main blade rigidity. That is what some fellows also did to shave with this razor. This is about as close to using a shavette as it gets and slightly safer.
When I first started shaving years ago and seen this razor for the first time introduced by Yaqi I was a bit intimidated but years later it can be tamed to work for a person very well IMO. It can even be used as a daily driver for a few folks also IMO.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP, sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Ach Brito Lavanda cream, nice mild scent with excellent lather qualities. I rarely get weepers using Lavender soaps and that is one of the reasons I really enjoy Lavender, it is known for making folks relax is my understanding!
Brush : Yaqi 24mm High mountain silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, nice scrubber + excellent painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi slant and a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.
SOTD May 18 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom