What's new

SOTD - “Supporting Vendor Week - “Elite Razor” May 16th to, 2022 to May 22nd, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, May 16th, 2022 ASRazor shave this morning.

Razor : Ever Ready streamliner 2nd Generation- Mfg 1949-53, Upper mid range, ER Stream liner razor shaves differently than a lot of Gem razors but once dialed in does perform well. The blade is forward feeling because of placement of blade stops.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap : Razorock Don Marco, nice citrus scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi 26mm Moka 2 band badger- excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : witch hazel soap residual beard cleanse + Nivea refreshing lotion + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Ever Ready Streamliner with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD May 16 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

C697B530-C91A-44D6-941F-460C9F35EBEE.png

SOTD MONDAY MORNING, MAY 16, 2022

Edward Weck emigrated from Solingen, Germany and opened his cutlery company showroom in 1890 in Manhattan, with manufacturing facilities in Brooklyn.

According to “Brownstoner”,
“Weck invented the precursor of the multi-blade razor, and patented it in 1909.”

[n.b. Incorrect!! In actuality, they’d been around quite awhile. Antoinne LeCoultre invented the first replaceable blade razor in 1830, 79 yrs earlier]

“It was called the Weck Sextoblade. The “sex” in “sextoblade” for all those whose imaginations just woke up, meant “six.” Sorry! Weck’s razor came with six blades all attached at the base, able to be folded back into the handle and secured by a safety guard. Each blade could be extended when needed, and if all were stropped and sharpened at once, this razor could last a long time before the next sharpening. For its day, it was quite revolutionary.”

In 1917 he incorporated under the name ‘Edward Weck & Son’, finally passing away from heart disease in 1922. His son, Albert, moved the company into surgical instruments, made for both the military and medical community. The company continued until 1999 when it was acquired by Squibb. Today’s mug shave featured my Weck Sextoblade. The razor came from the estate of a third party beauty/shaving supplies salesman and former barber, according to his great-granddaughter.

My first shave with it featured a newly purchased Personna hair shaper blade, however, I noticed that the spine appeared to have a fair bit of hone wear. From the deep grooves observed, I would suspect the rather rough use of a Diamond plate. In any case, I removed and soaked the original Sextoblade blade that arrived with the razor in barbicide when it first arrived about 7 months ago, That morning I ran it across my Swaty barber’s hone with some Smith’s Honing oil, after placing it back in the razor, until the edge looked good under my USB microscope.

I believe that the original blade had never been removed, as I was unable to remove it with my fingers when it first arrived, and needed a needle nose pliers to do so. Judging by the amount of shave residue on the original Sextoblade blade coupled with the hone wear on the spine, I believe the former owner treated it just like a regular straight and never removed it from the razor. In fact the original blade looks like it is double beveled. The shave angle on this old antique tool is virtually identical to the angle I use with my regular straight razors. My new Koenig barber’s hone and a little shave cream polished up the blade nicely. The two and a half pass mug shave with it that followed this morning was excellent leaving me smooth as a peach.

Unlike many of my shave brothers and sisters out there, I’ve never been a fan of Gillette TTO’s. I do own a few, but have been selling all but my father’s and grandfather’s safety razors. My father owned two Gillette adjustables, a Gold Black Beauty long handled adjustable and a Slim. My grandfather shaved with an old beat up single ring from a WWI military khaki kit that I also have. The only Gillettes that really ring my chimes, however, are any of the second generation ‘New’ models. So this morning I grabbed my silver plated Gillette New Standard/Bostonian, loaded a fresh Feather blade and had at my noggin stubble! Two delightful ATG passes later and your happy narrator was smooth as a peach from noggin to neck.

RAZOR: Weck Sextoblade (Mug), Gillette New Standard/Bostonian (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: JR LE #374 Cashmere Synth
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.

Monday
Pre-shave: Anthony Glycolic Facial Cleanser /Pinaud Clubman Shave Butter
Razor: Q Shave Futur Clone
Blade: Asco Platinum
Brush: Yaqi High Mountain White
Soap: Proraso White
Aftershave: Alum/Thayer’s Witch Hazel & Aloe Vera/Pinaud Clubman
Balm: Jack Black Clean Break Oil-Free Moisturizer

20211226_080943.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Monday, May 16, 2022 - tribute to a fallen Canadian classic ... (Not having any Elite equipment in my den -- yet)

IMG_20220516_124519.jpg

Razor: Supply matte black 2.0 injector with SE plate / Supply Black Label (1st shave)
Bowl: maple/walnut by Jason @jtspartan at TSD
Brush: burled cypress with Maggards 24mm 2-band badger knot, also by Jason
Cream: J.M. Fraser's Shaving Cream
Alum and no balm or splash

I had a couple days' stubble to mow today. After showering, I lathered up with the J.M.Edwards shaving cream (more about it below). An almond-sized dollop in the bowl gave enough for my two passes with quite a bit then squeezed out of the brush or rinsed out of the bowl and down the drain.

The Supply injector was its usual efficient self. I started a new Black Label blade today so that I can accurately track how long this blade lasts.

Two passes -- WTG on the face and ATG under the chin, then across the grain on the face and WTG under the chin -- left me near BBS. Alum was virtually silent. I didn't use any aftershave products because I wanted to see if the shave cream was at all drying on my face. (Nothing noticeable.)

And now, I would like us all to bow our heads for a moment in respect for the passing of a Canadian shaving classic, J.M.Fraser's Shaving Cream. It was developed and first marketed by a Canadian barber, J.M.Fraser, in 1956. IIRC, he was from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Originally and for years, it was available in drugstores all over Canada. It came in a 450ml (1 lb) jar for the princely sum (most recently) of about $17 Canadian (about $13 USD). Which made it not quite as cheap as Arko or Williams (but then, what is?) ... but close.

It's an excellent cream, lathering quickly and easily, providing good glide and protection, and leaving a clean, not-too-dry face feel behind it. The scent is a pleasant, mild, non-industrial lemon.

This fine old classic was available from 1956 until 2021. What killed it? The Covid-19 pandemic. Apparently manufacturing difficulties during the pandemic led to the line being closed. And now, the conglomerate that owns the label and recipe has no plans to reopen it again. I suspect it was one of those products that, with its manufacturing startup and equipment costs long since amortized, contributed only a small amount to the corporate bottomline but enough to be worth making. But not enough to be worth investing in startup costs again now that it is discontinued.

My tub should be enough for about a year of shaving. Then onto the memory pile...

Tuesday SOTD
[IMG]

Razor: Ever-Ready Streamline
Blade: Gem PTFE SS (D2)
Brush: Shavemac TSR2015 LE 2-band Silvertip
Scuttle: Woodhead Medium
Pre-Shave Scrub: Holy Black True Grit – Coffee
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Eucalyptus & Spearmint
Shave Soap: Tabac
Balm: Tabac
Cologne: Tabac

Thuesday, May 17, 2022.

Floïd oil pre shave. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, ñ, citrus - cedar. Semogue, synthetic hair, special edition for Barbear Classico forum 2017. Fradal, special pour barbes dures, silver steel 13/16, custom scales methacrylate perspex blue. L’Occitane: Balm aftershave, Cèdre - oranger. Acqua di Parma, Blu Mediterraneo, Cipresso di Toscana.
3CBA6830-01C2-4D25-9ACF-93AD20CDAF1F.jpeg

SOTD : 17th May 2022.

7.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Lynx Africa Body Wash.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Chantry Lavender Goat's Milk Bar Soap.
Brush: Frank Shaving 22mm Synthetic.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl : Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
Lather: Omega Eucalyptus Shaving Cream.
Blade : Parker/Personna PTFE SS. (D4)
Razor: Parker InjRzr. (Settings) 3-wtg. 4-xtg/atg.+pick ups.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Blue Stratos ASL./ Nivea Men Replenishing Fresh Moisturising Gel.

Greetings,

Early morning shave.

Another wonderful performance from the Parker InjRzr.

Everything worked together in my shave set up...The Omega Eucalyptus Shaving cream provided a wonderful slick protective lather which made my early morning shave a pleasurable experience...

A enjoyable 2 pass + pick ups comfortable shave with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Nivea Men Fresh Moisturising Gel.

My face is feeling smooth & smelling divine.

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.

Tue 17 SOTD
Soap Yaqi Malibu
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Mink
Razor Yaqi Knight Helmet Razzo Rocket Handle
Blade Personna X-Series 12th use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Bergamot Lavender + Yaqi Malibu Splash
Epic lather from the soap...very nice scent, rich, creamy & slick qualities...
Another excellent shave with this aggressive razor paired with the evergreen blade+shim=not aggressive. The blade is not showing any sign of deterioration. Still crispy smooth and comfortable. 3passes for a dfs+ finish without any issues. The matching aftershave was great!
20220517_092856.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
7E1C2BA8-6764-4CCE-9FFA-DACB56380337.jpeg

1) Germany: Brush Vintage Muhle Erzeugnisse Shaving Brush.
2) Italy: Shaving Soap Proraso Red Tub.
3) Germany: Razor Merkur 34C.
4) Russia: Razor Blade Gillette Nacet.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Germany: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Sensitive Skin and Stubble Balm.
7) USA: EDT Jovan Musk Cologne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom