What's new

SOTD - “Supporting Vendor Week - “Elite Razor” May 16th to, 2022 to May 22nd, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
sotd_17.05.22.jpg

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Cera Ve Hydrating Facial Cleaner
Soap/Cream
Ethos Unscented
Brush
Uomo da Vinci 290
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Merkur 37c
Blade
Personna Med Prep Blade
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Ethos Skinfood
Fragrance
Versace, The Dreamer.
Rating
10/10
Comments
Going back to the 37c with Med prep blade. Third shave with this combo. The soap remains the same. This is the 66th shave with the Ethos unscented soap. A perfect shave – smooth and clean. Have a good one, folks.

Tuesday
Preshave: Anthony Glycolic Facial Cleanser / Pinaud Clubman Shave Butter
Razor: Q Shave Futur Clone
Blade: Asco Platinum
Brush: Yaqi High Mountain White
Soap: Proraso White
Aftershave: Thayer’s Witch Hazel & Aloe Vera /Alum
Balm: Lab Series Razor Burn Relief Ultra

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, May 17th, 2022- Still testing some aggressive razor heads I bought recently.

Razor : Yaqi Knights helmet- Mfg 2019> aggressive range, I use a ridding the bar method to try and control the blade feel and it works, I keep trying not to forget coming in hot with the razor(plunking on skin) because it will nick you for sure. The razor works well for those folks who like a lot of blade feel, you will not be disappointed IMO. Light pressure works very well.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(1) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice unique scent with excellent lather qualities. Make great ubber lather.
Brush : Yaqi Tailcoat 24mm synthetic, excellent lather creator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Proraso Green with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 2 weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Knights helmet with a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.
SOTD May 17 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

proxy.php

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: H.L. Thäter 3-band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Moon Soaps Old School
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna P74 (12)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Historic Brands Embargo Blend No. 2.5 Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Portus Cale Black EdT

Another new soap for me, and another pearler. Easy to lather and very good performance, with a delightful scent. To my nose, it is Squadron Group Captain's Blend meets Stirling Barbershop; very warm and inviting. The Embargo Blend aftershave was also a winner - strong alcohol notes with tabacco, mellowing into a woody vanilla finish.

23709A4B-962C-4B79-907C-105CD196E1F7.jpeg

SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, MAY 17, 2022

This morning’s shave was close and comfortable. The mug shave featured the first Japanese razor I ever shaved with several years ago, the Tanifuji Airi 11/16 which started me down the Japanese razor rabbit hole. “Tanifuji Fukutaro”, born in 1894, was the first to start manufacturing western style Japanese straight razors. In 1918, he started his razor manufacturing company in Sumido-ku using Japanese traditional techniques and skills to build his razors with a large number of cutlery craftsman. His domestically produced western style razors using imported Swedish silver steel were perceived as sharper and superior to imported western style razors.

The manufacturing methods employed traditional Japanese sword-making technique and many of his blade shapes reflected this approach as my Tanifuji Airi razor does. Many well known Japanese razors like, Airi, Baba, Cape, Nichiri and Spalding to name a few were actually made by Mr. Tanifuji. With the rise of safety razor usage after WWII, he sold his blade manufacturing machinery to Mr. Iwasaki of Sanjo Works in the early 1950’s, although he continued to make the scales for all Iwasaki western razors until he retired in 1973. He passed away in 1990 at age 96.

The three pass mug shave this morning with my Tanifuji Airi 11/16, as my UK shave brother, Barry (@palmolive fox), would say, was “divine”. I also really enjoy my noggin shaves with the 2011 R41 which sits on a meaty Weber bulldog handle! The razor feels hefty and well balanced. Two ATG passes with a loaded Sharp Star blade left your happy narrator delightfully smooth from noggin to neck.

RAZOR: Tanifuji Airi 11/16 (Mug), 2011 Muhle R41 ( Dome)
BLADE: Sharp Star (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE LE #007 Knurled Aluminum Handled Hybrid Knot
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Canoe Original EdT Splash.

SOTD Wednesday May 18, 2022

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Pre: None
Lather: TOBS Coconut
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless
Razor: Gillette Styler
Have a great day!

IMG_9682.jpg

20220516_080624.jpg

Razor: Timeless Bronze OC .78