What's new

<<< SOTD - “SINGLE EDGE RAZOR THEME WEEK” - October 3rd, 2022 to October 9th, 2022 >>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
772E1A46-5216-43ED-8D35-A16AC481F28A.jpeg
87045093-8C13-4C20-BB11-E0E669E6E19A.jpeg

Tabactober

Prep: P.A.A. Cube 2.0 (face wash)

Razor: Alpha Shaving Works Bandit (prototype) open comb baseplate
Blade: Gillette Nacet Stainless

Soap: Tabac (tallow)
Brush: Omega Boar 10005/80005

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Tabac
Post 4: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid

Today's shave is a special one. Not only am I using Tabac for the first time but I'm lucky enough to be in possession of a prototype for Alpha Shaving Works new razor affectionately named the "Bandit".

This is an all brass razor weighting in at 138g (4.9oz)! This definitely puts it in the heavyweight class. The handle length is 90mm (3.6"). Blade gap is 0.70mm (0.027"). Exposure is neutral to slightly positive depending on the blade used.

My first impression is that the razor has a stunning design. Not only does the handle immediately grab my attention but the head as a whole is also very beautifully shaped. The head has a nice angle built into it with no sharp edges and the teeth of the open comb are nicely rounded at their bottom most edge. Again, nothing sharp. We're taking some fantastic build quality here.

I paired this razor with a Gillette Nacet Stainless blade and went for it on two days growth. Immediately I noticed the weight. I happen to have no issues with this though as my starting razor when I entered the wet-shaving world was an Edward Jagger DE89. That one's not as heavy as this Bandit but it has some weight to it so it got me used to letting the weight of the head and gravity do the vast majority of the work.

This razor and blade combo easily mowed down my facial hair. I felt no irritation on my face and only a little bit when going against the grain on my neck. I was really enjoying putting this razor to the test.

I did a three-pass shave and found that my face was as close to bbs as I've ever felt without having done a fourth pass, against the grain. Note that I always go atg on my neck but only do it on my face when chasing a bbs finish.

The (tallow) Tabac soap worked very well. I was impressed using it for the first time. My boar brush whipped up some lather in the ceramic jar quite easily. It provided a perfectly adequate amount of slickness and it smelled fantastic! I'm seriously falling in love with the stuff.

Overall the "Bandit" is a fantastic razor that I would absolutely love to own. It looks awesome. It feels awesome. And it shaves awesomely. Even screwing the handle on felt good to me.

I finished everything off as I always do with some P.A.A. Alum, Dickinson's witch hazel, (today) some Tabac aftershave and last but not least, some Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream.

I'm sitting here with a bbs face and am just loving basking in the scent of the Tabac aftershave. This really was a 5 star shave today.

Carry on gentlemen and enjoy your shave.

OCtober 2022 SOTD
1939-RFB-B_2022-10-04.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/39
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: 1939 Gillette NEW RFB GT
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Black (10)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A great shave. :biggrin:

My Wee Scot is a really good brush, barring the scritch. I intend giving it a longer run this time round, to see if I can tame the tips a little (he said hopefully :001_rolle).

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Tuesday SOTD

[IMG]

Razor: Standard Razor
Blade: Feather (D2)
Brush: Rubberset 200-4 w Maggard SHD 24mm
Bowl: Georgetown G12 Opal
Pre-Shave Scrub: SheaMoisture African Black Soap
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Unscented
Shave Soap: HTGAM Cavendish
Balm: HTGAM Cavendish
Aftershave: PAA Cavendish

Wednesday SOTD
[IMG]

Razor: Gillette Slim (I2) North Shore Razors
Blade: Feather (D3)
Brush: Semogue 2018 TSN LE
Scuttle: Georgetown G12
Pre-Shave Scrub: SheaMoisture African Black Soap
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Unscented
Shave Soap: P.160 Tipo Duro
Balm: RR R-160
Aftershave: Floid Blue

Wed 5
Soap Stirling Executive Man
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Brown
Razor Pearl OC on yaqi handle
Blade Gillette Nacet Stainless 1st
Aftershave Stirling Executive Man Splash
Fabulous cone of creamy and slick lather from the soap. Pleasant scent enhanced by the matching splash.
Good razor paired with good blade results in a great shave!
20221005_102757.jpg

Wednesday, October 5, 2022.

Floid oil pre shave. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Gondolier: Shaving Soap & Lotion- EdC. CRV, Two-bands badger, ebony and blood red resin handle, special edition SCNH 2018 forum. C. Federico, 14, custom made scales made by Pablo Fuertes. Montblanc Legend: Balm aftershave & Eau De Toilette.

1128DF63-0F45-48DC-BF7F-193D46CD0DA9.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
2B4B2453-D914-4190-BE29-09C53365D8A9.jpeg

1) Great Britain: Brush Simpson Trafalgar T3.
2) Germany: Shaving Soap Tallow Tabac.
3) Germany: Razor Merkur 34C.
4) Russia: Razor Blade Gillette Silver Blue.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Germany: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm.
7) Spain: EDT Adidas Ice Dive Cologne.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wednesday, OCtober 5th, 2022

Razor : Razorock 2nd Generation Lupo.72 head- Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, excellent design for under the nose and scalloped safety bar makes good for steep angle shaving, excellent machining and finish QC also + a joy to use.
Blade : Gillette Nacet (4) Sharp & smooth with excellent longevity. Very good blade IMO.
Soap : Razorock Fresco XXX:001_wub: cream, nice unique clean scent very similar to regular XXX but has some menthol + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Bali 24 mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator , heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrub + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Fresco XXX:001_wub: with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 with a Gillette Nacet blade.
SOTD October 5 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Shave of Day BB.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Noble Otter Monarch
Brush
Graydog Synthetic
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Wolfman WR 2 SB 1.05
Blade
Personna Medical Prep
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Duke Cannon ASB
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10
Comments
I am using my Wolfman loaded with a Personna Med Prep blade for the fourth day in a row I used a very light touch and the result was a BBS shave with zero irritation. Today’s brush is the Graydog synthetic – a nice, large brush that feels nice on the face. Another nice shave with no issues to report. Have a good day, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom