Status
Not open for further replies.
ED371C9A-2363-4660-B8A8-6D5C06D090E2.png

Soap: Soap Commander Love
Brush: PAA Green Ray
Razor: Gillette Heritage
Blade: Tiger
Aftershave: PAA Boomstown Bay Rum

“86”-ed my bottle of PAA today, I’m still snooping the inter webs looking for a bay rum replacement, we will see what I move forward with.

50B681CF-C16A-4816-A9D6-7D0DDBAB54AA.png

SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, MAY 28, 2021

Sorry for missing the last month. I had a health blip that sidelined me, but I’m back and glad to be here. This old man crap can really ruin one’s day. My Kildare (that’s doctor for you young sprouts) has banned ‘spiritus frumenti’ for at least another month, and SWMBO’s mothering the bejeezus out of me, but I’m otherwise about 80%. I don’t know if I’ll be able to manage daily posts, but I’ll do my best. Rather than use use those multibladed plastic thingamajigs in the hospital, I elected not to shave. As a result I ended up looking like a wooly mammoth upon discharge home today.

My first shave featured my favorite vintage razor, the Sheffield Manhattan Cutlery 13/16 and the Schick Model C injector, old classics like yours truly. My first task was to remove most of the overgrown whisker roughage with electric clippers. This was followed by lathering up with the best shaving soap in the world, MWF, IMHO. The three pass mug shave felt great and was followed by an equally exemplary two pass noggin shave. How nice to return to my regular cue ball state. I feel clean and wonderfully smooth.

RAZOR: Manhattan Cutlery 13/16 (Mug), Schick Model C (Dome)
BLADE: Schick Injector
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: JT Sapele/Resin Handled Omega Pro48 Boar
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse withHumphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme Balm.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 1273273

Sorry for missing the last month. I had a health blip that sidelined me, but I’m back and glad to be here. This old man crap can really ruin one’s day. My Kildare (that’s doctor for you young sprouts) has banned ‘spiritus frumenti’ for at least another month, and SWMBO’s mothering the bejeezus out of me, but I’m otherwise about 80%. I don’t know if I’ll be able to manage daily posts, but I’ll do my best. Rather than use use those multibladed plastic thingamajigs in the hospital, I elected not to shave. As a result I ended up looking like a wooly mammoth upon discharge home today.

My first shave featured my favorite vintage razor, the Sheffield Manhattan Cutlery 13/16 and the Schick Model C injector, old classics like yours truly. My first task was to remove most of the overgrown whisker roughage with electric clippers. This was followed by lathering up with the best shaving soap in the world, MWF, IMHO. The three pass mug shave felt great and was followed by an equally exemplary two pass noggin shave. How nice to return to my regular cue ball state. I feel clean and wonderfully smooth.

POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse withHumphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme Balm.
Glade to hear your on the mend!

Razor: AutoStrop Valet VC4 (1940-1946?)
Blade: AutoStrop - “Valet” (Vintage) (10)
Brush: FS - 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Proraso - Green
Aftershave: Fine - American Blend

3F47D833-2FAF-41C7-9B57-DEE8CAD62FDD.jpeg

Thank you for 10 great shaves
I always retire my SE blades after 10 shaves irregardless. This vintage “Valet” blade proved itself beyond my hopes. I’m sure it could continue on to 14, but I prefer to quite while I’m ahead.
I brought out my VC4 (which was my very first Valet), and the last model produced. It’s the only model with a safety bar instead of a comb. It’s always given me nice shaves. Proraso? I haven’t had that out since my first week of wet shaving. It was all good. Everything worked together to give me a nice smooth, close shave, and send this vintage blade out on a high note.

The blade never seemed to get duller in the way DE blades do, and start tugging and pulling. Instead it seemed to just become gentler as the shaves added up. I think that stropping it before each shave (which is how it was meant to be maintained) kept the edge smooth and free of burrs, eliminating roughness or tugging.

View attachment 1273273

Glad you're feeling better!
View attachment 1273273

Here's hoping that the spiritus frumenti travel ban is lifted soon. :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Fri, May28th, 2021

Razor: Yaqi Excalibur 1st gen- Mfg 2021, great <mid range, easy to maneuver around the face, easy daily driver for myself. Good entry point razor into SE 50mm blade razor realm IMO.
Blade: Chinese knock off of the Kai pink blade bare edge(2)- sharp & smooth + longevity? Great naked edge blades that came with my shavette, packaging is misleading. I will just call them blues(naked edge or unguarded).Very sharp in a shavette for this fellow.
Soap: Razorock Lavender, nice scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm 2band badger- excellent lather generator, soft tips, great scrubber, great lather painter. Very nice change up brush from the synthetics that I also enjoy very much. Spoiled brush shaver.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur 1st gen 50mm with a Chinese blue naked blade.
SE SOTD, Fri, May28th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
View attachment 1273273

So glad you're back Jeff. Sorry about the 'spiritus frumenti. We both know getting old isn't for whimps. As I've been told a lot lately:
"You're not getting better; you"re just getting older."

20210527_080708.jpg

Razor: Schick L1 Injector Razor (Warner-Lambert)
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

SOTD 28.5.21

Pre-shave - Cube mentholated soap
Razor - Gillette Slim Adjustable, setting 5
Blade - Wizamet (5)
Brush - Semogue 1438 boar hair
Soap- Speick shave stick
Post shave - LEA alum, Thayer's unscented witch hazel & Arko lavender a/s balm

P..S. The Gillette slim and the wizamet blade are a match made in heaven.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

SOD Friday May 28 2021

Decided to give a cold water shave a go. It took a little longe to make a lather but overall it was a verty good experience.

Brush: Parker Synth Brush
Bowl: Shave Nation
Lather: Proraso White Soap
Razor: Gillette 1959 E4 Settings: ATG:7-WTG:5-XTG:3
Blade: Feather (1)
Balm: Proraso White

IMG_6223.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom