What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" January 13th - January 19th 2020

#sotd
iKon SBS with Personna blue med-prep
Vulfix H2
Wickham 1912 Christmas spruce
Epsilon blue
1912_c.jpg

I sent out a raggedy Sheraton to Back Woods Gold for replate & got it back today. I did the nickel plate on the New SC myself last night.

Todays' shave was a Left vs Right comparison. Results were comparable between the 2.

View attachment 1053536
View attachment 1053537
Left: Sheraton / GSB (3)
Right: Nickel New SC / Nacet (1)
Preshave: Dove Men + Care
Soap: Power Stick + Cremo Menthol Blend
Post Shave: Shavist Formula 1

4 Pass shaves for both sides. Left & right results were comparable, with maybe a slight edge to the Sheraton. Both should be 16 hour shaves.

The soap is a Menthol Cremo + Power Stick Gel blend. It may be even slicker than my Creomgens Formula. The soap leaves an oil slick in the sink, rather than soap lather & it seems to strip off accumulated soap scum from the sink surfaces.

That Sheraton is just beautiful. Great save.

Saturday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Scots Pine Sheep
Soap: Route 66 Bourbon Jungle
Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb
Blade: Personna Med Prep (12)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks/Elite Manchurian White-24mmx54mm
Aftershave: Country Club Classic Fougere

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Route 66 Bourbon Jungle today. 20 seconds to load the Wild West Brushworks/Elite Manchurian White brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Personna Med Prep still in the vintage Gillette NEW Short Comb. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Country Club Classic Fougere aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Sat Jan 18th 2020

Razor : Gillette British Rocket- MFG 1950's ,no date code.
Blade : Gillette Nacet (4)
Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea"
Brush : Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm -"Sagrada Familia" cathedral Barcelona Spain- Yaqi named it after this marvel.
Pre-shave : Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave : FINE fresh Vetiver with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :001_smile

SOTD,Jan 18th-2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

7B8D1850-8EC9-4812-832B-8AAC73DF45E0.jpeg

SOTD 01/18/20

Why does my Rex Ambassador dislike me? My Gibbs #17 Adjustable easily meets my dual criterion (cf face AND head shave proven) even with its short handle. In fact, the handle is shorter and the razor lighter than the Rex which is modeled after it! Clearly, a tool can’t harbor negative feelings. So there must be some aspect of my technique that’s the problem. I’m going to spend the next couple of shaves focusing on the Rex.
The shave today was relatively uneventful. The MWF provided its usual comfortable cushion and the Gibbs delivered a two pass DFS without incident. One point of departure between the original and its homage is that the head design is different with respect to blade exposure and cap curvature. The Gibbs has a neutral blade exposure while the Rex appears very slightly positive, at least on my particular model. Curvature on the cap is flatter than the Rex as well. That may be why a 6 on the Gibbs does provide more efficiency without a corresponding increase in aggression. Both head and face shaves on the Gibbs were completed on setting 6 leaving me feeling quite smooth. If I attempted the same setting on the Rex, I’d end up scalping myself. I can handle a face shave on the maximum setting on both razors. It’s the rear of the dome where the rubber hits the road, or in my case, the blade my scalp. I’ve always shaved the back of my head ATG in one pass. It works fine with the Gibbs, never an issue. Every time I’ve used the Rex in the same fashion it bites. This happens even on a lower setting. The Rex gets four more chances, this time WTG or XTG. If it continues to bite, it goes!

RAZOR: Gibbs Adjustable #17
BLADE: Feather
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Ariana & Evans Post-Shave Serum

Saturday, 1/18:

20200118_141044.jpg

Razor - Gillette '57 Tech
Blade - Astra SP (4)
Brush - Shavemac/Geoff Anderson GA7 24mm 2-band badger
Soap - Razorock Tuscan Oud
A/S - Cremo Reserve balm

After a crummy lather with this soap and brush combo a couple days ago, I wouldn't take no for an answer and went with it again and got much better results. This is a terrific little brush; I really have to use it for a face lather because it feels great and splays beautifully. I suspect it's actually a three band silvertip rather than 2-band because the hairs are so soft and pliable that it takes a long time to load the RR without blooming. Either way, it works like a charm, and I love the jade over jet black look.

This is my first time with a Gillette Tech. I've heard people mention how mild it is; it did feel really mild and gentle as I was shaving, but I ended up with some irritation after the shave. At the same time, the shave was SUPER close. After my first pass, just about everything was knocked down. It did not perform like I would expect a mild razor to. I'll likely have to experiment with the angle and the pressure to eliminate the irritation, since it's light and slim enough that I was flying around my face with it and maybe I pressed too much, but I dunno. It feels great to handle, really agile, and the angle did feel really intuitive, so it could've been pressure or the choice of blade. But I'm pretty happy with how close I got, and I love the look and handling of it. No wonder it's spoken of so highly.

I posted this in the King Gillette Weekend thread as well, but thought it deserved a space in the SOTD thread.

Today I used my recently acquired Gillette 1905 Double Ring for the first time. As I often mention, I am from St. Louis, MO, USA. In the year 1904, St. Louis hosted the World's Fair (Louisiana Purchase Exposition) and the first modern day Olympics outside of Greece (Games of the III Olympiad). It is really hard to imagine the razor I used today was made just a year after the following picture was taken. This image an ariel view of the fair in 1904, taken from a hot air balloon, is of St. Louis' great Forest Park where the World's Fair and Olympics were held.

Worlds Fair.jpg

Fast forward 116 years and the following picture, my King Gillette Weekend set up. If you were to walk less than a half a mile from where my SOTD picture was taken today (my home), you will be in St. Louis' great Forest Park where the above picture was taken. History is a constant wonder to me and why I love the Gillette Double Ring. To imagine where this razor has traveled in the past 115 years.

IMG_4430.jpeg

Gillette 1905 Double Ring Razor
Gillette Silver Blue Blade
Tabac Shaving Soap
Ever Ready 200 with RV Manchurian Fan Knot
Old Spice Original Shulton Aftershave

Wishing everyone a great weekend, wherever you may be!

Last edited:
Top Bottom