What's new

SOS - lost my hard drive

Oh the carnage! Completely lost everything on my hard drive. OS, sign ins, email, all passwords (roboform). Down for 2 weeks. You name it and it was gone. I need to make contact with Alex, can't remember his user name. He and a group of people were doing a blind blade test. I lost his log in name.

Thanks,
Bill
PS
Could not sign into my old gamil account. New acc't is: [email protected]
Or pls contact me thru my new user name HarveyKrumpet

How did you lose it? Making noise?

No backups?

If it spins did you try a self boot virus scan?

Could just be a nasty diddled it up.

You can always try to install windows over top of itself to get back running and to your content.

That is.... if your drive still spins.

Lost my HD 2 years into my PhD - with all the data and no backup for more than a year...cost me 1000$ but I got everything back! There are solutions: whatever you do, don't boot anymore! Take it out and put it into a HD caddie, connect it via USB to another machine and see if you can copy the files. If the drive is physically corrupted, you have to bring it to a professional, who has a clean room and might be able to safe your data. What I had to do - expensive, but sometimes you don't have a choice - good luck!

People have really been rallying around. As luck would have it....As a result of this, I vowed that I would turn over a new leaf and clean up all the clutter, dried out coffee cups, and a forest worth of scribbles, piles of paper, with indecipherable notes and numbers, you get the picture. Picking thru an obscure pile I found the mysterious scribbling, that at the time I swore I would remember what it meant. Into to the trash it it was going, when I turned over the paper and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a very old list of roboform log ins in the clear. There was my old account: Harvey Krumpet, and email address [email protected]. Still missing more recent passwords, but a good start. I still haven't found alex yet, but now I have a place to start. Thanks for all the good wishes.

Bill

I moved on from roboform awhile back, I use lastpass now as I can move between systems (game PC, 2 servers, laptop, cell) and not lose any login data for any websites, it's also more secure than roboform, comes with browser plugins and free.

Lost your email? Your email is being saved on the server of the email provider and not on your local hard disk. You should be able to login to the email via your webbrowser.

What do you mean with you have lost your drive? Does your OS doesn't start up? Do you get a blue screen with some error codes? Does it spin? if you get an error please tell me.

Maybe you can do a system recovery.

If it does spin and you get some error code you still can use HiRen boot CD to get your documents. If you have an another computer you can put the harddisk as a second harddisk in the other computer. You should be able to see all your files.

If the drive spins you can fix this easily, if it doesn't spin that the harddisk is toasted. I have fixed these kind of problems many times.

Please let me know.

I use Crashplan to backup my hard drive every day. A nice "set and forget" system. One study found that your chances of having a hard drive fail in the first year are 5.1%. So it just isn't worth taking a chance.

Windows, Linux, or OS X, if your hard drive crashes it doesn't matter what operating system it is. But euro is right, if the drive spins then you could possibly get your data back. I have recovered data from a few hard drives over the years.

If you (a) have mechanical issues with the drive, (b)nothing else above stated works, and (c) you are positive you aren't going to send it to a clean room for recovery, Google the freezer hard drive trick, but don't plan on getting the hard drive to work ever again afterwards. I have seen this work a few times, and have done it once successfully myself

Top Bottom