What's new

Top 10 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook

I have an account and I use it to keep in touch with random friends/family from time to time, mostly to exchange info to get in touch by other means and not on FB. I have FB locked down, all applications are disabled and I have no other sites linked to FB, I have no sensitive personal information anywhere on my profile, I do not upload any images for Zuckerberg to claim as his own (other than an avatar image) and my privacy settings are fairly strict.

With all that in mind it does annoy the hell out of me how they keep changing crap around and fiddling with various settings and layouts...it's almost enough to make me delete the account regardless of how little info I keep on there. :cursing:

i happen to like face book been keeping in contact with old friends and class mates that i haven't heard from in years. if weren't for face book that would of never happened, its all in how you use it.

I just went to visit my FB page, and Norton360 tells me the page is blocked as a phishing/fraud site.

Is this happening to anyone else?

I clicked on the same old link that I've always used in my Firefox bookmarks. I can still visit FB like normal through my Android FB-app.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but right at the moment, I trust Norton360 a lot more than I trust Facebook.

I agree with the fad part. Look at My Space if you dont believe it. How many marriages were ruined by Facebook is my issue, it opens doors sometimes best left shut. In addition to telling people where your going and not where you've been can be another problem too.

I see a definite correlation at school between low grades and the amount of time people waste of Facebook.

I'm not saying every FB junkie is flunking but there seems to be a direct overall relationship.

What's the difference? With one (FB) you tell the entire world your business. With the other (Twitter) you tell the entire world your business in 120 characters or less :biggrin:

140 actually :biggrins1:

How about.... "Facebook allows you to keep in contact with an extended group of friends, family and acquaintances on your own terms." There's definitely some value in there if you use it correctly.

It's incredibly hard for those of us in FB's target demographic to keep ignoring it. The whole thing started in my sophomore year of college. Now, I cannot BELIEVE how enormous it's gotten. I've had 3 accounts since 2004, and deactivated them for one reason or another. But now? People always ask for Facebook first. It's like email has become passe if you're my age. It's automatically assumed that you're on it, and if you're not, no wonder you weren't informed about the party/engagement/movie/get-together. People in the 18-30 age group who have something to announce or invite people to use Facebook almost exclusively now. And the workplace and job recruitment sector is using it more and more.

I recently got another account a few weeks ago. I was appalled at the lack of security options. I've put my location as somewhere across the world from where I actually am and have a grand total of one "friend." Thing is, I am of "Facebook generation one" age group, but I can't maintain any desire to mess with it or fill out a profile. It seems so....silly to me.

you can keep track of friends, family, and acquaintances with just email and a phone though. facebook is just convenience. it's trading privacy for convenience, and while most people find that to be a worthwhile tradeoff, i don't.

if the time ever comes where people find themselves needing their privacy back, they're going to wish they hadn't given it all away voluntarily

you can keep track of friends, family, and acquaintances with just email and a phone though. facebook is just convenience. it's trading privacy for convenience, and while most people find that to be a worthwhile tradeoff, i don't.

if the time ever comes where people find themselves needing their privacy back, they're going to wish they hadn't given it all away voluntarily
I agree with you in principle. However, FB is the way of the world, like it or not. People are using it INSTEAD of email and (in some cases especially with acquaintances) phone. As it becomes more and more integrated into our everyday internet lives, with almost everything we do online aside from banking having SOME connection with Facebook, the juggernaut just gets bigger. I think Facebook's attempt at privacy and security is pathetic. But unless a LOT of people leave it, they're not going to care. Short of a huge member exodus or some hacker-pedophile case (where someone hacks past FB's privacy settings and commits a heinous crime because of details they gleaned on someone's account that was "locked down"), nothing is going to happen. The negative side of the tradeoff between convenience and privacy is negligible to 90% of FB users, probably.

FB is the way of the world, like it or not. People are using it INSTEAD of email
Think about that. Instead of using open applications operating on systems run by numerous competing companies, people are turning to a single supplier with its proprietary application for their main way of communicating. Liking it or not isn't the question. The question is, where will it lead? Best case scenario? Something like Microsoft Office dominating the market. Everyone has to use it because everyone else uses it for anything serious. Do you think FB will remain completely free? One way or another they aim to turn us all into a revenue stream. You think you are getting something for nothing now, but it's all about manipulation. There will be a price of some sort to pay.

I avoided facebook like the plague until a few months ago. I had to join in order to keep in touch with a nonprofit that I'm involved with, along with the need for other communications. But I haven't put any personal info on it. I'm not that happy that it is being used as a primary means of communication.

I am currently on the edge of a situation where facebook is a factor. In a circle of people that I know, one of them posted confidential information out the other on facebook. That has led to one who was violated by that posting to sever ties with the group, because of a lack of trust. Sucks, but that's how it is.

I am currently on the edge of a situation where facebook is a factor. In a circle of people that I know, one of them posted confidential information out the other on facebook. That has led to one who was violated by that posting to sever ties with the group, because of a lack of trust. Sucks, but that's how it is.
I think the group should unanimously "unfriend" the one who posted the confidential info.

If they did it once, they'll do again, maybe posting something about YOU.

Think about that. Instead of using open applications operating on systems run by numerous competing companies, people are turning to a single supplier with its proprietary application for their main way of communicating. Liking it or not isn't the question. The question is, where will it lead?

To a certain extent, this is always a concern. The loss of our privacy, and the control or monopolization of our information by single private sources (these being linked issues) are always an issue in this world. Think of email, for example. It may be an open protocol accessible with open applications, but it is hosted on individual, private servers. Where do the vast majority of people go to for their email nowadays? Gmail. They go to Google, rather than to their own isp's servers or any other ones. Google has, to a large extent, managed to monopolize much of our information.

Not that I'm suggesting they're suddenly gonna wake up and start doing Evil Things, but it's good to keep your eye on where you're storing your data and who's controlling your access, and have a backup method just in case.

On the topic of FB... no doubt it's got some great uses. But when the company gets criticized about its privacy issues and then the CEO Mark Zuckerberg comes right out and says "look, privacy doesn't matter anymore... the age of privacy is dead", it's hard not to be appalled. When that's his attitude from the start, and it's potentially the position of his company, then you already know that as they move forward privacy is going to be one of the things that continually gets sacrificed. They don't see it as a problem. They see it as outdated, an archaic ideal for the 21st century. There should've been a LOT more people worried when he made that statement.

Top Bottom