What's new

Sorry, but Proraso just smells gross.

Is it just me, or is anyone else just grossed out by that smell? I know it's blasphemy to say it here, and I'll probably burn in the 7th level of Hell, but for that very reason I just cannot use it.

I tried it yet again this morning and I couldn't go through with it. Changed to Musgo Real after the first pass. For me, the smell some of these soaps get is one of the greatest parts of the shave. Even some of the nondescript ones like MR I enjoy, but Proraso just rubs me wrong. It's not that I hate eucalyptus, far from it as I've grown up in California and there's a eucalyptus grove every 4 feet, a smell that brings me back to my childhood, but there's something in there that just rubs me the wrong way.

My girlfriend loves it because she doesn't need a brush (hates taking the time to lather up), but she also isn't too keen on the smell.

Proraso seems to be heralded as the world's great savior, but I just don't get it.

Does anyone else feel this way? There's gotta be others. Please don't punch me in my gut.

I am not a fan either. I don't like the medicinal smell. It reminds me of my childhood balms my mother used on us when we were sick.

Nah, I'm about to get rid of a tube in the shaving mall myself. Honestly, I feel like I'm lathering with an old tub of Vicks Vap-o-rub.... much too medicinal to my nose. I like that it's cheap and all, and the cooling is nice, but put it side by side with a tub of Taylor's rose and there's no competition. You're not alone here. :tongue:

Proraso haters club President here! (all things mentholated in fact you can keep the mint as well)

By the way, if you like the cooling effect of Proraso but not the menthol, try a peppermint shave soap of some sort. I have a peppermint shave stick from QED and WOW does it tingle! It almost burns! Shaves like a demon, too.

So don't think you have to put up with the Kool scent just to have a cool tingle. :biggrin:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! That's the fastest I've ever gotten three responses on a board, let alone on a Friday night. :lol:

Nice to know I'm not alone. I serisouly don't see what everybody loves about it, but I guess if you rock it, than I'm not gonna knock it....

Come to think of it, Austin, now that you mention medicinal, I realize now that Proraso smells NOTHING like eucalyptus. I have no idea what that smell is... anybody want to chime in on that?

Is it just me, or is anyone else just grossed out by that smell?

Zach --

I'm not a great fan of the aroma either, but if you use it a while, it grows on you. It is a medicinal, soapy smell, although it's a good shave cream. I figure that if I want a shave soap that smells like an industrial cleanser, I'll just use the Arko shave stick which gives a better shave. :wink2:

-- John Gehman

I'm only stopping by into this thread to get a list of people officially on the "hit" list. Heretics, the lot of you. Blasphemers. Charlatans.

(Proraso was the first "wetshaving" item I used, only because it was readily availabe at Target (at the time), so it holds somewhat of a special place in my head.)

I don't love the scent, but it's not as horrible as those who really can't stand it claim it is... at least to me.

The B&B had a Proraso SOTD last winter- heres mine:tongue_sm

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Z-2
I love the smell of it... I plan to use it on Sunday when it's supposed to hit ninety-something in NYC.

By the way, the red doesn't smell anything like the green.

I really love the smell of Proraso, it was also the first real cream I ever got so the smell also holds sentimental value.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you don't like the cream, here's a little tip for ya, echo-

don't try the Proraso pre/post.:biggrin:

If you don't like the cream, here's a little tip for ya, echo-

don't try the Proraso pre/post.:biggrin:

that's a very good tip... the pre/post is many times stronger than the cream. :eek: And I'm addicted. Maybe we have the very right climate it was intended for. :001_tt1:

Here's the funny thing-- I don't mind the pre/post!:biggrin:
For some odd reason, Vick's has a place in my heart and it just doesn't bother me. Odd huh?

But the soap is still raunch-- it doesn't smell anything like the pre/post if you ask me.

Top Bottom