What's new

Proraso White - burns?????

-> Is it just me?
-> Am I doing something wrong?

New to traditional wet shaving with about a month experience. In this single month, I've spent about $250 and shaved DE every day. I'm working hard to migrate from amateur -> novice. I'm pretty much over the nicks/razor_burn and now entering a stable normal with DFSs. I've experienced BBS a few times at the expense of some irritation due to poor skill. But I have been able to get there. I decided to stop avoid against the grain until my technique improves and settle with DFSs..... which I've been getting.

I keep noticing a very mild burn when applying Proraso sensitive to my face. It feels as if I have mild razor-burn before I even start shaving. If I use something else (e.g. Arko), this mild burn doesn't occur. In fact... I've been leaving other soaps on my face for longer in an effort to ensure the beard is fully moisturized. With Proraso white, I am always getting a mild burning sensation while brushing it on. Feels like I'm applying an alcohol-based aftershave after a rough shave. If this was the regular green/red Proraso, I'd expect it to simply be the menthol/eucalyptus formula. I'm only speaking up because this is supposed to be the sensitive skin version of Proraso. I suspect it may be exacerbated by 'novice' brushing technique, but I'm only experiencing this issue with this specific soap. It does not occur with anything else I've been experimenting with (~5 soaps).

I'd guess there's some ingredient in Proraso white that your skin doesn't like; sensitive skin formula doesn't mean it will work for your skin. I've had that happen with a couple of soaps for sensitive skin. I didn't catch that lanolin was an ingredient and yeah, my skin doesn't like that, similar symptoms to what you describe.

Well you done process of eliminating, try another soap for a week. If you have no problems, and wish to retry the apparent culprit, do, and if you burn again. Science says you have found something your skin don't like.

Same Blades RIGHT? or are you trying different blades?

Happened to me too when I first tried it. Didn't touch the tub for over 10 years and tried it again one day. Nothing happened and I eventually used it up. No idea.

Same thing happened with a couple of TOBS creams. One (Avocado) worked great after time. Another one didn't and I eventually gave it to my son who had no problems.

Well you done process of eliminating, try another soap for a week. If you have no problems, and wish to retry the apparent culprit, do, and if you burn again. Science says you have found something your skin don't like.

Same Blades RIGHT? or are you trying different blades?

+1! Good advice!

Thanks everyone... At least I know it's not some placebo effect -- "all in-my-head" (at-least I don't think so) :pipe:

I wasn't trying different blades... Using Astra platinums the whole time...

BTW - Arko has been fantastic for me. I've gotten over the shock of the smell being less than fantastic. Now I'm kinda digging the smell of Arko. So that rules-out my head working correctly. I certainly do have problems :)

I get this too with some soaps (Proraso Green, H&V Cognac and Cuban Cigar, Razorock XXX). Sounds like an ingredient does not agree with you. Just toss it.

I get the same burning with the Preshave......., just avoid it now.
Same here, and I am 100% sure it’s the preshave. I experimented a few times by applying on my clean and irritation free face and felt like burning after 2-3 minutes. Eventually I threw it away.

The White preshave and aftershave balm both have sweet almond oil in the ingredient list, which is a known irritant for some people. But I don't see it listed on the soap or the cream, so it may not be that for you.

When I first started DE shaving, I thought Proraso white cream and preshave irritated my skin. It turns out my skin was still irritated from my poor technique from the previous day’s shave and the Proraso let me know my skin was still inflamed. Once I got my technique under control, Proraso no longer causes any issue. While it might be some ingredient that is irritating you, don’t immediately rule out the possibility I explained from my experience.

Arko has been fantastic for me. I've gotten over the shock of the smell being less than fantastic. Now I'm kinda digging the smell of Arko.

The smell was never less than fantastic, your soul was just temporarily unreceptive to Arko's intense beauty. Right on, brother, for this step toward full enlightenment and self-actualization!

The smell was never less than fantastic, your soul was just temporarily unreceptive to Arko's intense beauty. Right on, brother, for this step toward full enlightenment and self-actualization!
I've been okay w/Arko. Everyone else had me convinced it didn't smell pleasant. I recently tried Sterling's Port-au-Prince. I threw it away after one use. The smell of Port-au-Prince was on my face and I couldn't stop smelling it. In a panic, I wet my face and smeared Arko all over it. I rubbed it in aggressively with the intention of wanting to smell like Arko. It helped, but the stench of port-au-prince remained for a full day.

I now LOVE Arko!!!!!!!!!!

I've been okay w/Arko. Everyone else had me convinced it didn't smell pleasant. I recently tried Sterling's Port-au-Prince. I threw it away after one use. The smell of Port-au-Prince was on my face and I couldn't stop smelling it. In a panic, I wet my face and smeared Arko all over it. I rubbed it in aggressively with the intention of wanting to smell like Arko. It helped, but the stench of port-au-prince remained for a full day.

I now LOVE Arko!!!!!!!!!!
Arko is a good tallow soap and not bad. There are better, but it isn't bad at all and it is inexpensive.

-> Is it just me?
-> Am I doing something wrong?

New to traditional wet shaving with about a month experience. In this single month, I've spent about $250 and shaved DE every day. I'm working hard to migrate from amateur -> novice. I'm pretty much over the nicks/razor_burn and now entering a stable normal with DFSs. I've experienced BBS a few times at the expense of some irritation due to poor skill. But I have been able to get there. I decided to stop avoid against the grain until my technique improves and settle with DFSs..... which I've been getting.

I keep noticing a very mild burn when applying Proraso sensitive to my face. It feels as if I have mild razor-burn before I even start shaving. If I use something else (e.g. Arko), this mild burn doesn't occur. In fact... I've been leaving other soaps on my face for longer in an effort to ensure the beard is fully moisturized. With Proraso white, I am always getting a mild burning sensation while brushing it on. Feels like I'm applying an alcohol-based aftershave after a rough shave. If this was the regular green/red Proraso, I'd expect it to simply be the menthol/eucalyptus formula. I'm only speaking up because this is supposed to be the sensitive skin version of Proraso. I suspect it may be exacerbated by 'novice' brushing technique, but I'm only experiencing this issue with this specific soap. It does not occur with anything else I've been experimenting with (~5 soaps).

So you say you are playing, trying, and experimenting with 5 different Soaps.

One does not like you skin, beard, or you. IMHO you have solved your demon delimina.

Stop using the one that cause you grief. You ate lucky you found four your body don’t reject.

Problem solved by elimination, or process of elimination.

WAHOOOO.🥳🥰

I experienced the same thing a while ago with a few shave creams in particular and while it did happen slightly when I just applied them (probably just the faint sting of the menthol and eucalyptus), it was mostly after the shaving. I think it was as I had just switched to a much more aggressive razor and had caused myself a little irritation.

I think the scent in the cream was just burning the irritation caused by the razor and/or my technique, if that makes any sense. Essentially giving feedback on the shave, like an alum block would. Once I modified my technique or used another much milder razor I didn't experience any of the burn with the same creams.

But with you it is happening bad the moment you put it on, so maybe you do have a sensitivity to some ingredient. 🤔 Like someone mentioned, I too have used sensitive skin products that brought me out in allergic rash. While I know this is not a great deal of help, sometimes products this can be strange, I've experienced issues with some products like moisturisers and then many a few months later I try again and its fine.

So again, as already noted I agree the best thing is just put it on hold and use another product for a while, if everything is okay, then try it again in a week or two.. if the same thing happens then you'll know for sure it was it.

Anyways I hope you get to the bottom of it! Best wishes!

Buy some Stirling Unscented Beeswax shaving soap and start there. It's really good soap anyway. If this doesn't bother you (it shouldn't), you can start adding soaps with different ingredients and pay attention to the ingredients and make a list to determine what irritates your skin.

I've had the same experience with Proraso white pre shave, I narrowed it down to menthol after a face mask my wife gave me burned like hell and also had a moderate amount of menthol.

Not saying that it's the same in your case but something to think about.

Top Bottom