What's new

Something different with every shave challenge.

Shave #73 & 74

Razor: Windrose OC Slant
Blade: Permasharp
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: MWF

Razor: Windrose OC Slant
Blade: Permasharp (2)
Brush: C&E Badger
Soap: C&E Sandlewood

Both shaves were smooth and comfortable. The Permasharp blades have been great. I may need to throw 100 in storage.

#67, in which the Major is a touch more careful

Phoenix Shaving Accoutrements' Prickly Pear Mentholated Preshave soap & Lather Builder Omega S10019 shave brush
Proraso Red Shaving Cream
Gillette Slim Adjustable (1966, 3rd quarter) carefully set to 4

Treet Platinum blade (1st use)
Barrister & Mann Citracuya

9/10. Smooth, comfortable shave. What more needs to be said?

Razor: Tatara Masamune
Blade: Permasharp (3)

Permasharp was smooth yet tuggy. No irritation so it might make another shave.

#68, in which the Major doesn't mess with a good thing

Phoenix Shaving Accoutrements' Prickly Pear Mentholated Preshave soap & Lather Builder Omega S10019 shave brush
Proraso Red Shaving Cream
Gillette Slim Adjustable (1966, 3rd quarter) set to 4

Treet Platinum blade (1st use)
Cremo Cooling After Shave Balm

9/10. Another winner from this combo.

Shave #192
8/10/23

PreWar Tech
Dollar Platinum
Turn N Shave handle w/ 26mm Elite Razor HMW
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

Average blade, & that's being nice.
IMG_5884.jpg IMG_5885.jpg

Shave #193
8/11/23

PreWar Tech
Trig Silver Edge Stainless
Rudy Vey Zenith Unbleached Boar
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

Average blade
IMG_5888 (1).jpg IMG_5887.jpg

Shave #193
8/12/23

PreWar Tech
Sharp Hi-Platinum
Rudy Vey 24mm 2 Band
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

Above average blade
IMG_5890.jpg IMG_5889.jpg

#69, in which the Major does it again

Phoenix Shaving Accoutrements' Prickly Pear Mentholated Preshave soap & Lather Builder
Grandslam American* Badger Shaving Brush
Proraso Red Shaving Cream**
Gillette Slim Adjustable (1966, 3rd quarter) set to 4
Treet Platinum blade (2nd use)
Captain's Choice Bay Rum

8/10. A DFS, marred by a small nick on my chin.

* Despite the name, this is made in China. Of course. 'Cause dem's th' rules.

** The Major's Dad used to call an empty bottle of liquor a "Dead Soldier." Given that this was the last from this tube of Proraso Red, should we call it a "Dead Barber?" With apologies to all living barbers both among us and elsewhere.

-MO

#70, in which the Major needs to change

Phoenix Shaving Accoutrements' Prickly Pear Mentholated Preshave soap & Lather Builder
Grandslam American Badger Shaving Brush
Nivea Men Sensitive Skin
Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip (1958, 2nd quarter)
Astra Superior Stainless blade (1st use)
Duke Cannon Ice Cold After Shave Balm

8/10. Not 100% sure if this was the result of my skill not being quite there tonight or not, but my face was definitely a bit irritated after this shave. I've never used the Astra blades, perhaps that, since the Super Speed Blue is one of my reliable go-to razors. As noted elsewhere, I had to switch shaving cream because I finished the previous tube of Proraso red. Given my previous experience with Nivea products, though, I doubt the shaving cream was at fault. So, that leaves my skill with the blade or the blades themselves. I guess I'll find out next time.

Yeah, the Major is posting in first person, what of it?
-MO

76 & 77

Blade: Bossman
Razor: Tatara Masamune

Blade: Bossman(2)
Razor: Gillette Super Speed

IMG_1350.jpeg

#71, in which the Major considers that it's a poor artisan who blames his tools

Nivea Men Sensitive Skin
Astra Superior Stainless blade (2nd use)
Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm

7/10. The Major is fairly certain that his skill with the blade was not at fault two shaves in a row. Perhaps it's just this particular blade, as he's seen good reviews elsewhere for the Astra Superior Stainless. But, so far, it's safe to say that he's not impressed. Significant irritation both nights. Plus, at least one small nick each shave. Fortunately, the Nivea Men Balm is an excellent product, one he's recommended to his stepson as he starts shaving. No, he haven't talked to him about safety razor shaving.

Yet.

#71, in which the Major considers that it's a poor artisan who blames his tools

Nivea Men Sensitive Skin
Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm

7/10. The Major is fairly certain that his skill with the blade was not at fault two shaves in a row. Perhaps it's just this particular blade, as he's seen good reviews elsewhere for the Astra Superior Stainless. But, so far, it's safe to say that he's not impressed. Significant irritation both nights. Plus, at least one small nick each shave. Fortunately, the Nivea Men Balm is an excellent product, one he's recommended to his stepson as he starts shaving. No, he haven't talked to him about safety razor shaving.

Yet.
I’ve never used the SS but the SP are my go to.

Shave #195
8/23/23

Krona
Nacet
Rudy Vey Zenith Unbleached Boar
MdC Agrumes
Vanilla Highball

Will be using a mild Krona for a few shaves, it's a terrific mild shaver!
IMG_5921.jpg

Shave #78

Razor: Gillette Ball End Tech
Blade: Bossman (3)

Very nice shave from the Tech. I’ll
Be interested to see how it does with other blades.

Last edited:
#72, in which the Major runs an experiment

Kikc Synthetic Shaving Brush
Nivea Men Sensitive Skin
Barlow's Cooling Post-Shave Balm

8/10. The Major replaced the Astra blade he'd been using and was pleasantly surprised to find that the new blade provided a much smoother shave than did the old one. Naturally, having used a Blue Tip, the shave wasn't quite BBS-close, but no complaints stand out. The Major found the Barlow's in the closet while reorganizing it, and it was a more than satisfactory finish to the shave.

#73, in which the Major almost does the same as #72. Almost.

Nivea Men Sensitive Skin
Zingari Man Unscented Recovery Splash

9/10. Nothing incredible, and the Major had the same problems as usual getting it smooth under his chin. But, still, a perfectly acceptable shave. Also no nicks or irritation.

-MO

Last night was shave #79

Lathered Strop Shop Orange Blossom with the C&E Badger brush before the ball end tech fitted with a Bossman blade (4) went to work. A nice non irritating 3 pass shave followed with some more Fine Bay Rum.

#74, in which the Major goes high class

Nivea Men Sensitive Skin shaving cream
Gillette Aristocrat (1948-ish)
Proraso Sandalwood After Shave.

9.2/10. A fine shave. Just a touch better than yesterday, but not so good below the jaw as to rate a 9.5, the Major's highest rating (since perfection is impossible). Still, if every shave was this good, the Major wound be thrilled.

#75, in which the Major stays classy

Perfecto Badger Shaving Brush
Gillette Aristocrat (1948-ish)
Proraso Sandalwood After Shave.

8/10. The closest shave, but a bit more irritation than the Major would like. Maybe he should have used the Barrister and Mann after shave balm or Geo. F. Trumper Skin Food w/Limes instead.

-MO

#76, in which the Major adjusts

Perfecto Badger Shaving Brush
Merkur Futur 700 (set to 3 above the jaw, 4 below it)
Geo. F. Trumper Skin Food with Limes

9/10. Using the adjustable on two different settings, a closer one for underneath the jaw where he always has a harder time getting a clean shave, worked extremely well. The Major needs to do this w/his Gillette Fat Boy & Slim Adjustables.

-MO

80 & 81

80-MWF lathered with a C&E Badger. Gillette Ball End Tech loaded with an Asco SS. An alum block was the only post care that my face received on this shave.

81- Took the family on a little adventure over Labor Day and managed to forget many toiletries. So, the soap was a random bar from the hotel lathered up and worked in for a long while. Took the Ball End Tech with the Asco SS. Skin Bracer to finish off.

#77, in which the Major adjusts again

Omega S-brush synthetic
Merkur Futur 700 (set to 4 above the jaw, 5 below it)
Nivea Men Sensitive Aftershave Balm

9.1/10. This shave was just a tiny bit closer than the last one, likely b/c the Major increased the aggressiveness on both above-the-jaw and beneath. Now, obviously, a higher level of aggressiveness requires a good deal more caution then yesterday's settings. But, it appears that the Major's skill with the blade was up to the task tonight.

Why, whenever the Major mentions skill w/the blade, does he feel like a Klingon describing his chances @ a bat'leth tournament? That's a kind of blade which, he's like to point out, he once owned.

Screenshot_20230905_224552_Photos.jpg

-MO

Top Bottom